Camping along the Anne Beadell

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 18:08
ThreadID: 33002 Views:1841 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a trip across the Anne Beadell 'Highway' later this year. Plan on taking 5 days. Can anyone give me some good camping locations - GPS references would be a bonus. I have read the trek notes in ExplorOz but I thought other peoples experiences are always worthwhile.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 18:42

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 18:42
On the SA side, you can bush camp almost anywhere. The exception being the marked no-camping area in the Unnamed Conservation park.

I prefer to stay away from the commonly used camps because those areas tend to become degraded. So I've not camped at Tallaringa or Vokes Hill Corner. Some people avoid EMU even though they have a nice warm night :-))

You'll have no problems finding good flat areas to camp, with good mulga firewood. We prefer to trip at a liesurely pace, then find a campsite when we feel like stopping.

WA side is a bit more difficult to find good bush camps, but you have the 4 water tank camps that are devoid of firewood. Bishop Rileys Pulpit is OK for somewhere a bit different, but is pretty open.
AnswerID: 167621

Reply By: AussieTraveller - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:30

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:30
Thanks for the information.
AnswerID: 167638

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:03

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:03
Just another tip - the mulga roots out there are razor sharp - just don't drive over them if you are off the side of the track.

The corrugations are pretty severe - particularly on the SA side. I run tyre pressures of 20psi on that track, and take it easy - helps keep the passengers and the vehicle in one piece :-))

Its fantastic country out there. If you can get hold of a book by Mark Shephard called "Great Victoria Desert" then it will enlighten you about everything out there. And I'm sure you know about the Len Beadell books. Most local librarys have these, but the Mark Shepard book is out of print.
AnswerID: 167742

Reply By: signman - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:26

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:26
Tallaringa Well, Camera C location, Vokes Hill (just W of intersection),Ilkulka, Serpentine Lake, Camp 1,2 or 3 just inside WA border,
or any where you care to pull off the road and pitch tent (except in the Conseravtion Park area).
Note the reports are the road is VERY rough West from the dog fence..to the other side of the Conseravtion park.
Have a great trip- and read the Beadell books before you go.
AnswerID: 167747

Sponsored Links