Car Salesmen stories

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:39
ThreadID: 33007 Views:1914 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Spent the day buying an Xtrail.

What fun was had!!!

3 dealers advertised a special drive-away demo - none had any left!!!!

No dealer could match the special price with another demo or '05 vehicle, even though they had plenty in stock. They were wanting $1200+ more for the vehicles

Found a dealer who had a good vehicle with a few extras and was $500 cheaper than the others. We phoned back to accept his offer, and arrange to pick up the car. He phones back an hour later to say he quoted the wrong price, and I'd have to pay for the extras. We sorted all this out pretty easily (was kinda fun :-)))

For my sins, I had to endure 90 minutes in the dealership explaining why I didn't want the paint protection, perspex, blah blah, blah.........I found out the life history of the employees.............and what they did for easter.......I shook hands about 50 times with half a dozen people..........and told a few porkies about what I did for a living :-))

Eventually sorted and we've got the new vehicle in the driveway.

Now my wife has a new Xtrail - we'll have to get it dirty and see what it will do!

Cheers
Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:44

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:44
Sounds more exciting than my weekend, all I did was work. Have fun with your new toy!
AnswerID: 167644

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:23

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:23
Bware,

Yeah, I was working easter too. But had yesterday off to recover. Now I need today off to recover from yesterday! Also, that was a nice response you have to Anne on the other thread.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 422953

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:48

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:48
Congrats Phil and Mrs Phil on the purchase

Please don't do anything serious!!! The Xtrail's axles are the size of my index finger.

But it is a lovely little shopping trolley and dirt road cruiser.

Cheers
AnswerID: 167646

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 20:06

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 20:06
Hi Willem,

I try not to do anything serious :-))

I don't mind driving an underdog. Had a lot of fun in a KE11 Corolla in the 70's doing the tracks up north. Reckon I'll let Kathryn drive the Cruiser while I have some fun in the little one. Like many women, she's a better driver.

Sounds like the rear/centre diff might be the "softest" bit. And I reckon that 132Kw is the strongest bit :-)) The vehicle is 12/05 build, so its the very last of the more powerful motor.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 422844

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 20:21

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 20:21
I love buying cars. It's a real exercise in mental dexterity... Maybe we should have a thread on "lies Car salesmen tell"
AnswerID: 167653

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 20:56

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 20:56
Have a mate who is a car salesman or was, One day he went around and put V8 Badgers on half a dozen of the commodores in the yard, we have borrowed a new 3.0Ltr Patrol, XR6 Turbo, VY SV8 Commodore, PT Cruiser, Table Top Patrol and used the other caryards name to acquire a Jeep Wrangler for a weekend off another yard.

Needless to say he was eventually fired and is now in another line of work.
FollowupID: 422859

Follow Up By: The Bigfella - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 20:58

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 20:58
So do I.
My favourite to say to a car salesman is "I am here to buy a car, not for you to sell me one."
Puts a car salesman on the back foot straight away. If they start on the bullsh1t then I am out of there straight away.
Only wished at times I had the money to buy cars more often.
Cheers
The Bigfella
FollowupID: 422860

Follow Up By: Laura B - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:49

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:49
my best one was......

my friend and I wagged the day off school - yr 12 too - and dressed ourselves up and wen tot the local dealer.....she "had $20000" and her father would match what she had and therefore had $40000 for a car.....and boy did the young sales man light up!!!! Normally they wont let you test drive a car unless you are fully licenced but the salesman was looking at big bucks off a "young'n" so he was up for anything!!

went through everything....ordering the right colour with the extra's....all in the one day...after test driving heaps of cars.....its was a Mazda something...real sporty thing it was gonna be......

anyway....eventually when it got time to do the paper work she cancelled everything and said that she has been given a better offer and see ya later!!

had an absolute ball.....

glad to say that i didnt do to bad in hsc considering the "days off"

Laura B
FollowupID: 422878

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:21

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:21
What makes me laugh , is that the average person may buy 10 to 15 cars in there life time , lets say some people may buy 20 to 25 . Car yard do that a week, yet some people think they are smarter than the yards lol .

Its all good fun , but dont for a min ever think you pulled one over them lol
FollowupID: 422936

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:22

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:22
Ps , if you think it's hard enough to buy a car out of a yard , try selling them cars for a living lol .
FollowupID: 422937

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:38

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:38
Mr Faulty, Yep, theres plenty of lies. When the guy I dealt with was close to tears and "swore to God" that he was telling the truth about the price mistake, I lost him there.

But I know its hard to make a living selling cars. Pretty cut-throat even with your fellow workers.
FollowupID: 422956

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:12

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:12
You all reckon car salesman tell lies, they wouldn't hold a candle to the lies told by the customers that trade in their vehicles, or the lies told by private sellers.

There is a saying in the industry, "buyers are liars" there was never a truer word spoken!
FollowupID: 422961

Follow Up By: camship - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:16

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:16
Your right Shaker, I ve just left the trade to run my own business. Customers asume the have to lie to get what they wont, but they forget that both the salesman and the customer want the same thing.
Its amazing that even 85 y.o. lovely old ladies can come up with the most amazing bull crap stories.
Rock Crawler, spot on. After selling cars for a few years you can really predict the crap that some people are going to throw at you just by looking at them. The biggest liars with the worst attitudes are the ones that really get stitched up, they think they are winning HAHA.
FollowupID: 422970

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 20:44

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 20:44
Your dead right RC I made the mistake as a young un buying from a UCS and ever since I have not darkened the door and also made sure they missed out on another certain sale when a guy I was with at tafe was about to sighn up for a VL commodore until i told him my experience with the UCS division of this Well Known Port Adelaide Holden Dealership
FollowupID: 423141

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:15

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:15
Could be the car industry, could be the computer industry, could be anyone. The dealers often use "Lost Leaders" to get you in the yard and then try and sell you something else, although if they never really had stock they are breaching Trade Practices act, misleading advertising etc. Hope you enjoy the Xtrail, have fun..!
AnswerID: 167779

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 18:43

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 18:43
Car yard are so far ahead of that sits not funny , you guys really are behind the eight ball here lol.

Often I will sell a yard a ad car , this will be a high km poor paint ect ect. But it will be dirt cheap. This car is used as th lead ad and will follow with 10 in stock to choose from , or 10 in stock starting from x . when you go in , its already sold due to price , they may even loose money on the ad car or sell for evens . But they got you in legaly .

Take that to trade practices lol Good luck

Guys it s all a game , htey want more you want to pay less , treat them with respect , stick to your guns , do your homework, everyone goes home happy. Dont forget, they may make 3 k on a car , but take away ad's rent Wages & vehicle rectification costs , there isnt much left at the end of the day , pluss you get title garranty.

There all making money for there families like everyone else does. I dont hear people complaning why a TV store makes profit , or anyone else for that matter .

Not a direct did , just some trade insight
FollowupID: 423100

Reply By: Andrew (Whyalla SA) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:43

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:43
Phil

I took one for a couple of laps around our show track last year.
Everyone, including me, was sceptical about how far it would get but I did 2 laps without getting stuck, without scraping and it descended into and climbed out of both of those big steep holes we dig. The owner was really pleased.

Quite impressive!
AnswerID: 167963

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:19

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:19
Hi Andrew,

Congrats on another great edition of 4wheelingsa. I've been a bit crazy lately with moving house etc, but I'll get off my butt and come up with something new for the next edition.

Good to know they can get around the test track. I thought it had reasonable clearance, and good departure and approach angles. Main concern is that if the viscous stuff gets too hot it reverts to 2wd! Anyway, it will be fun to play with and be a travelling buddy for the big truck.

All the best,
Phil
FollowupID: 423230

Sponsored Links