Hyundai Teracan CRDi

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:09
ThreadID: 33015 Views:4930 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking about buying my first four wheel drive to tow an 18.5 ft caravan with a tare weight of 1850kg. Is the Hyundai CRDi suitable? Has anybody had any experiences (bad or good) with this vehicle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:25

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:25
Not sure of towing capacity. A friend had one bad experience that seems to be common to some others.. 4wd wouldn't engage. Seems it uses vacuum and electrics, and something goes wrong with it, and it won't engage.
AnswerID: 167668

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:36

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:36
Greetings.

You need to know the vehicles permitted ball weight and max permitted tow weight. ( From the vehicle manual not what the salesman said)

Then you need to know the TRUE ball weight of the caravan and its maximum permitted weight. ( Be very cautious about manufacturers stated ball, caravan and maximum permitted weight. I would insist on weigh bridge certificate with water tanks full as a minium showing axle and ball weights).

I am of the opinion that the permitted ball weight of your vehicle should exceed the actual ball weight of the van by 25% ( you are going to load the van this will cause the ball weight to increase) .

The weight of your van fully packed and stored should not exceed the maximum permitted tow weight of your vehiocle or the maximum permitted weight of the van.

As a reference www.caravanqld.com.au/download/hints/Towing_Guide.pdf .

If all the above are met the vehicle will be capable of towing your caravan legally.

If you know all this please ignore my reply. Otherwise enjoy the journey.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 167674

Follow Up By: TenCents - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 23:22

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 23:22
Paul,

Thanks for the advice. As far as I can tell all the specifications are okay.

Regards

TenCents
FollowupID: 424022

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:42

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:42
Geez I hate - I knew a bloke responses, but here goes ..... :-\

Over Easter I tented in Harvey WA next to a couple with one of these from Qld towing a van about the same size you are talking about. He was very happy with it. He said it had a 2.9 TDI motor, just a teeensy bit smaller than the Nissan and in a much lighter vehicle so was very happy with the power of the vehicle. He said that you could get an upgraded towing pack to pull 3000kgs if my memory serves me correctly. Never mentioned any problems.

I'm responding not because I know anything personally, but because I figure it's all horses for courses. The guy wasn't wanting to tow the van along the CSR, he just wanted a reliable tow vehicle within his price range - and he was happy.

Tim
AnswerID: 167692

Follow Up By: TenCents - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 23:25

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 23:25
Tim,

Thanks for the info. I have ordered my CRDi and can't wait to get my hands on the wheel. It will be my first 4x4.

Regards

TenCents
FollowupID: 424023

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 00:55

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 00:55
No experience towing caravans with 4bys but just an observation from checking out Travellers rigs on the Goldfields highway is behind the cruiser and patrol and probably not far behind the next most popular tow vehicle is the Pajero
AnswerID: 167712

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:58

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:58
My BIL has the Hyundai Terracan (petrol motor) and is very happy with it. I estimate his van would be 1.6T+ and he reckons he hardly even knows his van is on the back, especially compared to his previous 4.0L Falcon wagon. Reckons it tows so much better and has heaps better fuel economy (but yours is diesel, so better again) but marginally slower (not that speed is an issue, just that the Falcon was more powerful while way more thirsty).

Also, the Hyundai is mainly a daily driver for his wife who much prefers it to the falcon too. There only "complaint" is that there is less room behind the 3rd row of seats for storage compared to the falcon (was fitted with 3rd row seats too), but overall much prefer the Terracan.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 167728

Follow Up By: TenCents - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 23:29

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 23:29
Captain,

Thanks for the info. My current towing vehicle is a Fairmont so I am looking forward to towing with something more suitable. This will be my first 4X4.

All I have to do now is get my wife over her mind set regarding Hyundais.

Regards

TenCents
FollowupID: 424024

Reply By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:03

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:03
Have a look at our forum.

www.terracan.australia4wd.com

It'll keep you busy for days.

In short, it will do the job well.
AnswerID: 167730

Follow Up By: TenCents - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 23:20

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 23:20
Jimbo,

Thanks for the direction to the Terracan Forum. I haven't spent days on it but I have spent hours. As yet I have not read anything bad about the 'Jerrycan'.

I ordered my CRDi auto Highlander yesterday and I am quite excited about getting it. It will be be my first 4x4. My wife's not happy about buying a Hyundai but I am hoping she will come around once we have had it for a while.

Regards

TenCents
FollowupID: 424020

Reply By: Shane (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:25

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:25
I have just traded mine in (2005 Diesel Auto) & overall they are a very good vehicle for the price. I have had a few problems with various aspects of the vehicle, but not bad enough to bag it. They are very economical & with plenty of power, although the suspension should be upgraded as it is questionable (about $800 aftermarket). They are quicker than a 3ltr Nissan & on my last trip I virtually ran over the top of a V8 Cruiser up a hill trying to get past a line of traffic in a passing lane. (how did I know it was a V8 ? Talked to the bloke at the same garage filling up). There is also a very helpfull Terracan Owners Forum which is not affiliated with Hyundai. You won't be disappointed with the vehicles performance in Diesel apart from a annoying lag off the mark before the Turbo spools up & then it's all go. Also have a look at the size of their diffs & drive line & the general fit & finish & when you compare with rivals you wonder why the major brands charge so much. I also have a 60 Series T/Diesel Manual which is a differant vehicle altogether, but it does not get near the Terracan in outright performance & economy. Cheers !
AnswerID: 167736

Sponsored Links