Driver Training Towing a Caravan

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:26
ThreadID: 33022 Views:3101 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just a survey on Driver Training with a Caravan.
With so many people retiring and doing the run around the block with a 4wd and a caravan as a driver would you like some form of training?

Does the company that you buy the caravan from offer any type of training, braking , reversing, hitching and towing on dirt road?

Is there any thing else that the driver should know about driving with a caravan?

Would training on a race track be of any use? The race track would be used because of it being a closed road.

Would driving on a dirt road or a test track be of any use?

What would you like to know about towing?

Feel free to add any other comments about training and towing a caravan.

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:29

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:29
Wayne,

I don't tow but maybe those who do might appreciate some advice on maintenance, emergency repairs, tips on loading etc.

Regards
AnswerID: 167690

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:33

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:33
Al,

Thanks, that is the sort of answers that I am after.

Wayne
FollowupID: 422897

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:41

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:41
Good Idea Wayne,

I don't know what the uptake in such an exercise would be but nonetheless it is a good idea and had it been around when I first started towing I probably would have taken the opportunity to get a real understanding of the differences between driving with and without the van.
One aspect of towing which is still vague to me is the adjustment of the brake controller, so this may be worth considering adding to any course you conduct.
Also the safety aspect of fuelling up with pilot lights still going ect on the van. NO GO.
I have always been of the opinion a different license should be required to tow anything, but I wont say this too loudly or I may upset the masses.
Good luck with your idea.
Regards Trevor.
AnswerID: 167691

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:21

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:21
Can lesson 1 include
"move to side of road when you are holding up more than 5 cars"
or
"move over when your doing 40kph under speedlimit for area".

I think it would be a great idea.
AnswerID: 167700

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 04:10

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 04:10
What you need is:

1. A dab of more patience

2. A much faster truck for overtaking

LOL
FollowupID: 422922

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:46

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:46
1) Never
2) Im working on that ;) Test drive one on Anzac day :D
FollowupID: 423199

Reply By: Member - Barry C (NT) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:34

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:34
Agree Truckster Also will someone have a session on not driving off the side of the black stuff onto dirt verge until going very slowly. Other half scares the chit out of me sometimes off on the loose stuff, braking and not going straight. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

But she won't listen to me. One day when something is wrapped around her ears (what she's towing - not me lol) she just may believe.

Good idea Wayne as a lot of the old skills have disappeared, I learnt to drive cars on dirt in hills and learnt to drive crash box trucks in hills around Tumbarumba. What skills today? Just hitch up maybe 5-6 tonne all up and go, it's frightening when you think about it.

Barry
AnswerID: 167702

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:56

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:56
Hi Wayne
Do you offer this training now or is it new?

There is a lot of Driver Training courses out there now offering Caravan driver training.

Just some sites out there (i'm sorry if your already looked)

www.towingcaravans.com.au/offers.html
Site Link
" target="EOF" class="lbg">www.ahg.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=80

Last week they had an add on rvpoint on the Tely re the same subject

Richard

PS. hold a HC-X R Licence and we that tow can do as we please (hay T)
AnswerID: 167705

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 04:31

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 04:31
Wayne

I have been there and done that with towing but so many people towing vans are just not aware of what they are doing.

A comprehensive driver training towing package would be good.

1. Knowing the legalities re towing weights etc and towing power required to do so.

2. Setting the van up with the right tyres and safety equipment

3. Maintenance

4. Overloading. Loading the correct weight distribution to your van.

5. Convoy procedure (vanners travelling together bunched up too close)

6. Speed. Modern day 4x4's and cars have so much power. Sometimes I find that I am sitting behind caravans being towed at 110kmh..Scary stuff.

7. Braking

8. Approaching or passing B-doubles or 65m Road Trains. (Here there is also very little knowledge and some caravanners throw caution to the wind trying force their god given right to their 10ft of roadway)

9. Parking a van on to a CP site. Most drivers have NFI

Maybe, just maybe, there should be a caravan towers licence issued. Yeah I know, there are enough restrictions about, but the roads are going to become crowded, fuel price not withstanding.

Cheers
AnswerID: 167715

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:07

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:07
"9. Parking a van on to a CP site. Most drivers have NFI"
Willem don't teach them how to park!........... I get hours of enjoyment watching the Grey Nomads pull into a camping spot :-))
Could also add # 10. Reversing a Van using your mirrors. In a test that alone would see 1/2 of all those towing fail.

Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 423055

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:47

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:47
#10 would see 99% of them fail, let alone 1/2!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 423200

Reply By: Ray Bates - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:14

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:14
Definately should have a license endorsment to tow a caravan.
AnswerID: 167745

Follow Up By: Feral - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:19

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:19
....Political Suicide!!!!

Can you imagine ANY government implementing a LOGICAL driver education program????????

As all governments are interested in the revenue they are not going to spend it on driver education as long as there are votes in it, of course. The government are not interested in creating a class based licence system for the general masses.

Cheers,
Lyndon.
Immaculate Discovery Td5
FollowupID: 422972

Reply By: Alan H - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:09

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:09
I've just given up towing a van to tow a camper trailer instead ................ we'll be able to get to more places hopefully. And it'll cost less in fuel.
My biggest worry was not my abilities behind the wheel but the dangerous manouvers carried out by the mostly downright incompetence of those trying to overtake even though I'm one of those that believe in making it easier for those behind me by pulling over where possible.
But I must admit some of those pulling vans are so ignorant about others on the road I feel they shouldn't be allowed to drive anything at all! (But that can be said for most road users).
Possibly if they were shown what mirrors were for it may help.
I'm against ever more licencing for everything as it's usually just a revenue raising venture and does little to improve safety.
Happy motoring and here's hoping us oldies don't hold you up too much in your mad dash to wherever.
Alan.
AnswerID: 167754

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:07

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:07
Lol Well put Alan H. Very balanced.

Regards
FollowupID: 423057

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:36

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:36
Geez Wayne you had me worried there for a sec

Would training on a race track be of any use? The race track would be used because of it being a closed road.

Yep I can just visulize them racing with vans on .
But a good lot of sensible questions there ,do you want an old truckie to help you train them .??? especially in the reversing with mirrors section

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 167920

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:44

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:44
Ipose these very same Q's to some of the 4x4 driver's towing camper trailer's on not so country dirt/gravel road's. On monday (Easter) on the way home from a very good w/end away travelling down a freshly graded gravel road in our motor home taking it easy about 50k'ph down hill saw vehicle in the mirror moved over to give more room & vroom one after the other 3 0f them with trailer's instead of going past moderately they were doingabout 80 & gaining speed, dust (impossible to see 10mt's infront ) i can tolerate the dust but the f*^#g stone's flying every where & the in the mirror another one trying to get past ,so i made him waite for awhile before i let him loose , & the same thing again. Bugger you mate i'm alright. Ten minute's later we come into the little town Boona, QLD ,they had just gotten out of their car's. I am also a 4by owner & driver & i consider other's when driving. Now i got that off my chest what was the Question please. Cheer's Bob. p.s next time they can waite & i am not Nomad but a (Yesmad).
AnswerID: 167925

Sponsored Links