Kangaroo Island

Submitted: Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 12:26
ThreadID: 3303 Views:2195 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Does anybody have any info on Kangaroo Island? Camping spots places to visit etc??

Waypoints, tracks are also welcomed, I am planning to visit in April.

Thanks in advance.

Will
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jim - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 22:52

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 22:52
Hi Will,

Just spent four days at K.I beggining of the year for the first time.

K.I is a beaut spot mate. Rugged coast lines with coves, bays and beaches. Excellent Fishing especially by boat.

Western River Cove is quaint but the camping area is small. Of course there are lots of camping spots littered around the island. Check out Pauls Place I have'nt been but people tell me it's a must do. Other must do's are: Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch, Vivone Bay, Little Sahara. You could do a whirlwind lap in one day.

I think the only real 4wdriving can be had on the extreme west of K.I.

Go to www.sealink.com.au where you can download and print a detailed map of the island an fetch other bits of info.

Sealink is the only ferry service available.

AnswerID: 12849

Reply By: toonfish - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 00:44

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 00:44
yeah we were there 2 years ago.
top spot we had a 45 series cruiser ute that has been all over this great land with a friend of ours and it came in real handy at KI
Sealink has the monopoly of the ferry there and they are not cheap(tassie is sometimes cheaper).also trailers are very expensive to take with you. so remember that, book ahead
we stayed at west bay in the national park it was dry and rugged but we were all alone for 3 days except for some fisherman on night in the bay we had the beach all to ourselves.
many beautiful places to see animals too.
we then went from westbay to emu bay semi popular but cheap campgrounds and met some nice people touring there.
this was a great spot to snorkle and fish but is worth a beach drive up to the point for better fishing near the rocks.
from there we went to chapman river , nice place a bit windy and all the bream were too small
if u stay here it was council run (cheap but) i would not camp near the main spot but just off the track a little south b4 the day area by the river nice and sheltered and you cann still hear the waves.
let me know if you need particulars as i have them packed away(brochures national park guides and a few gps waypoints but my gps is a little old now ,garmin 45, and waypoints would be marginally differant to more accurate models now.
you will have a ball.
we were fully self sufficient but still went to town occasinally .
american river was pretty quite.

cheers
say g'day to the platypi at rocky river for us (they like to hide)
AnswerID: 12858

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 14:37

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 14:37
Hi Will,

Spent a week on KI many years ago and absolutely LOVED it! One of my all time favourite places (although that list is getting long, LOL). We stayed mainly at Rocky River camp ground in Flinders Chase NP which we found was convenient to explore much of the western side of the island without having to relocate every 2nd night. The "wildlife" there were very freindly (a little too so, actually) and when in camp wallabies, emus, possums etc all came looking for handouts. Koala's are also readily seen nearby, both in trees and on the ground.

As said above, don't miss Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch (you'll probably spot NZ Fur Seals on the rocks nearby) etc. Also worth a look are Cape du Couedic lighthouse (great veiw as you approach) and nearby Wier's Cove with historic ruins and jetty.Vivonne Bay, a cray and fishing boat harbour is absolutely stunning with safe swimming near the jetty and boat ramp. There is also nice camping there at the Harriet River mouth.

Seal Bay of course is a must, allow at least half a day for this. Kelly Caves are OK but with some exceptions, I tend to think with caves if you've seen one you've seen them all. Just my opinion anyway.

Cape Borda lighthouse is unusual, worth a look. Scotts Cove, Western River Cove, Emu Bay all beautiful...American River as said above can be windy, it's OK but we only spent 1 night there and moved on.

Its worth poking around Penneshaw and don't forget to go pengiun spotting. During the day, you'll find their burrows in the rocks and foliage above the water and if you're lucky, you might even find some babies anxiously waiting for Mum to come home. At night, head out with a torch and you're bound to see Mum coming home. The kids will love it and your very own pengiun parade without all the hoopla of Phillip Is. Frenchman's Rock is interesting...I've got the most sensational photo of the dome against a magnificent backdrop.

Hey, you know what...just see it all. KI's is just beautiful. I'm jealous now!

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 12893

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 14:47

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 14:47
Thanks to all those who replied, I am looking forward to it more than before!!!
Thanks again.
Will
AnswerID: 12894

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 22:36

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 22:36
Will, Thanks for posting the question. We are also going to Kangaroo Island in April and appreciate the comments you have received.
If you see a couple of 4wd's with Wagga Wagga 4wd stickers give us a yell. Our plans are very flexible but we would prefer to bush camp where possible and check out as much scenery and beaches as we can fit in plus a bit of fishing of course.
Enjoy your trip and take care.

rglaw@bigpond
cheers Bob
AnswerID: 12930

Sponsored Links