First Fraser Trip

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:15
ThreadID: 33034 Views:1728 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
We had our first Fraser experience over Easter. We opted for the resort and day drives which seemed the sensible thing to do.

Found the island an awesome place. We want to go back.

Despite the obvious volume of people on the island it didn't seem that crowded exept when you ventured to the populat spots like Eli Creek.

Saw the obligatory Troopie full of back packers almost loose it at a wash out...kept a constant eye out for them when driving on the beach in case one decided to do a sudden death roll....

Found a lot of people that had 4WDs that can't actually drive a 4WD. The amount of people we found dry bogged in soft sand was amusing to say the least. Then we have to do gooders that decide they should stop on the soft sand track at Indian Head to see if old mate that's bogged needs a hand getting out whilst a small convoy attempting to maintain momentum is about to push him out of the way.....I guess you can't legislate against fools, just give them permits.

Wizard
Gold Coast

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:04

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:04
Sounds like you had a great trip Wizard. Don't be too harsh on those looking to help, as a rule I always make sure that the track is clear before moving on - nothing worse than having to stop mid steam. Don't presume that he is helping his old mate either, I have on occassions driven next to my bogged mate to see if his inadequate excuse for a 4wd needs to be towed, only to be told that he's right mate.

Some of the guys I travel with have been going there for 20 years and still occasionallty get bogged so it is a pleasure to take the mickey out of them and they soon get out

It's a great place for fun but I agree that when its busy boggings are a real PITA.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 167776

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:26

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:26
I too offered to help some stranded fellows up to their back diff in sand as no one else offered. Have no problem with helping anyone, just where these good samaritans decide to stop and have a chat about it. Pull off the driving line to a safe spot and go back on foot to ascertain the situation.....not stop with vehicles following behind possibly resulting in more bogged cars due to the fact we stopped.

I think they call it lack of situational awareness...
FollowupID: 422989

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 13:26

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 13:26
You're probably right Wizard there seems to be a general lack of situational awareness. I have also seen complete idiots in action as well, too much booze and not enough sense.

Probably the most annoying part is that most of these boggings are totally preventable with a bit of care.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 422995

Follow Up By: the real chopper - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 14:28

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 14:28
... care and training !
FollowupID: 423013

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 14:34

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 14:34
For a lot of people training is by trial and error - mostly error unfortunately. Being the optimist that I am, I know they are learning something - and if not, I get the pleasure of practicing another recovery.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 423015

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 14:31

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 14:31
A bit away from the post, Wizard with a user name like that do you drive one? (Isuzu MU Wizard)
Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 167802

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 15:52

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 15:52
No sorry, I drive a Prado TD....The nick name is from my work...
FollowupID: 423031

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 22:41

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 22:41
Hi there Wizard 1, was there many camper trailers (if any) up there. My wife and I have just bought an off road camper and were thinking of going up there. Is it advisable to take one there or just set up a tent. I am also pulling it with a 2.8 diesel hilux any we all know how powerful they are (NOT). Any advice would be appreciated as we have not been there before and want to have an enjoyable time not one trying to dig out a hilux and camoer trailer. Sounds like a beautiful place to go. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 167951

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:45

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:45
Yes there were, indeed, we were quite surprised to see quite a lot of Jayco Pop Top campers there were in the beach camping areas and not all were off-roaders.

People were towing normal box trailers along the beach.

We landed at King Fisher Bay and drove east to the beach. But it would seem if you arrive at Inskip you can drive right along the beach (at low tide) which is hard packed and flat sand.

I would not suggest landing at King Fisher with a trailer as the track out of the resort has some agressive humps which may cause your trailer hitch to bottom out. Some did get through...You then have to deal with the sand track to East Beach.
FollowupID: 423279

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 16:47

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 16:47
Hi Wizard1, I beat you by two weeks. I too had never been there before and now wonder why the hell I had not gone there sooner.

An absolutely incredible holiday and we are planning on heading beck as soon as possible.

Hi Stephen M, I went with my local Land Rover club, GCLRO Club and the group comprised of some camping in tents and some towing camper trailers and all had an easy trip on the island.

I didn’t venture to the west side of the island while I was there as we had only planned a 3 day trip, so were pushed for time but from what I learned, while over there, Wizard1’s advice on going to Inskip is good advice.

It’s much cheaper and the crossing only takes 15 minutes.

If you have some flexibility in your arrival time, try to manage an arrival at low tide so you can use the beach all the way.

We arrived at around high tide and had to use the inland road for about 20+ kms and that road would have to be the most corrugated road I have ever been on.

As for the back packers, we were warned to watch them as many are German and they keep forgetting which side of the road ( beach ) they are supposed to be on ( and they drive like rat bags ).

A couple of tips. Try to fill up at Gympie ( $1-26 ) or Rainbow Beach ( $1-37 ) because fuel on the island is a bit rich ( $1-75 )

We were lucky to be there at the end of the quite period but when it’s busy on the island, the cops set up speed cameras ( and I believe they catch heaps ).

One more tip, get up there as soon as you can because you will also wonder why you never went sooner.

PS Don't forget to take a camera. I have never used mine as much as I did while on Fraser Island
FollowupID: 423343

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 14:18

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 14:18
G'daty Stephen,

We take ours and sure power is usefull but so is correct tyre pressure. The weight of your trailer is also a factor and also make sure its tyres are lowered. As you can appreciate the hard sand driving is the easy bit, getting on and off the beach and barge is where it maters. If you can negotiate some tough tracks locally (even better if sand) it will give you an indication if you are likety to have problems.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 423603

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 14:01

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 14:01
Yes Wizard fantastic place, remind me to get some 4WD lessons from you, you come across as the Wizard of 4WDrivers..! Bogged in sand..?? Wow that wouldbe exciting.
AnswerID: 168308

Sponsored Links