GPS coordinates display on PC

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 03:46
ThreadID: 33072 Views:2167 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for a simple windows program that captures nmea sentences from a gps and displays the coordinates in VERY BIG characters on a PC monitor. I searched the internet and found nothing of this kind.

Thanks Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bucky - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 05:41

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 05:41
Andy
Have you tried Mapsouce ?
this is Garmin's GPS softwear
Cheers Mate
Bucky

AnswerID: 167976

Follow Up By: andy - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:10

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:10
Hi Bucky

I had a look at the description of Mapsource and I had the impreesion that it does not provide such a simple task I need. UNfortunately I dont have the access to that software.

Cheers Andy
FollowupID: 423513

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 22:18

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 22:18
I got it, it wont do what u want
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 423855

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 07:53

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 07:53
andy.

You may have checked this site but if not.

gpsinformation.net/

regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 167989

Follow Up By: andy - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:11

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:11
I had a look at that site - no success.

Andy
FollowupID: 423514

Reply By: Member - gujimbo - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:59

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:59
I often use a program called visualGPSXP

www.visualgps.net/

regards

AnswerID: 168004

Follow Up By: andy - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:36

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:36
Hi Gujimbo

downloaded the suggested program - It does not seem the display in big characters.

cheers
Andy
FollowupID: 423518

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:44

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:44
Andy,

Let me know how you go - I would be able to make this run in a few mins of coding. I have heaps of GPS interface pograms that I write and work on commercially. Some of my OziExplorer extension programs or even the code I have written to allow OziExplorer to support Vector map data on the fly has the ability to do this very function.

I cannot say I would be able to deliver it straight away but if you get stuck sing out and I will have a quick go at it. May cost you membrship though.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 168029

Follow Up By: andy - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:28

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:28
Hi David

thanks for your offer. There seems to be no immediate solution to my (minor) problem. Several years ago I have programmed a Palm V with QFORTH for the display of the GPS location and other parameters displayed with big Characters. I have also experience with decoding nmea sentences in C under Linux. However I have so far not done serious program development under Windows especially when font sizes and graphics are involved.

I will do some more research on programming software for windows and will come back to your offer later.

I have profited so much from the forum that I will become a member in any case.

Cheers
Andy
FollowupID: 423516

Reply By: MichaelR - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 22:40

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 22:40
Could I just ask why you want to do this? Is the raw NMEA data of any particular use?
Thanks
AnswerID: 168202

Follow Up By: andy - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:01

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:01
sorry that I was not clearer about what I wanted.

I am not interested in the nmea sentences, but in the display of the decoded coordinates in big characters.

During the last years we have used a GARMIN II and maps on paper for navigation. The display of this GPS is hard to read even from the passenger seat. I therefore have written a program to decode the nmea and display the GPS Coordinates with big characters on a Palm Pilot.

Meanwhile I have built a Car PC and use Oziexplorer and Natmaps for navigation.
The GPS coordinates are displayed by Oziexplorer in small characters thatt can not be easily read on the 8" touchscreen. For getting a general overview on the big roads we still plan to use the 1:1000000 Natmaps on paper. It would be nice to run sometimes also a program that displays the current position, distance travelled and speed in big characters on the PC display.

andy

FollowupID: 423512

Reply By: MichaelR - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 21:15

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 21:15
Andy
I was interested to know how you designed your car computer as I am attempting the same (with a modicum of self taught knowledge). One issue I have is to make the computer as independent of the operator as possible. That is, when I turn the car off I want the computer to close down (properly) by itself. I also would like it to start as I start the car. I plan to run Oziexplorer which can be configuered quite easily to start in moving map mode as part of the computer start up routine. The Garmin 2plus I will probably just leave on all the time. Will also run a cheap usb camera as a reversing camera.
Look forward to any advice you may have. Thanks
AnswerID: 168505

Follow Up By: andy - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:30

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:30
Hi Michael

designing the Car Pc was not a problem, as I have had previous experience with hard and software for instrumentation. However, it took much more time for the realisation than anticipated. My PC consists of a VIA mini-itx board (ML6000EA), a 40 GB laptop hard disk and an intelligent automotive power supply M1-ATX (www.mini-box.com) which would also fit your needs. It operates from 6-24 V so that engine cranking will not affect the running PC. The power supply is always connected to the car battery and is switched on/off with the ignition switch. The battery is automatically protected from complete discharge. The whole thing has been put into a home made metal box to achieve minimum dimensions so that the PC will fit into the car radio bay (HiLux) of double height.

A bright 8.4" VGA touch screen MM500 (www.cartft.com) is mounted on the dash board. It serves as VGA display (800x600 pixels) and provides the mouse functions. A keyboard, dvd burner and mobile can be connected externally when needed. The software (oziexplorer with natmaps, zine for audio and the typical mozilla software) runs under XP (getting slowly used to it).

It took me some time to achieve the minimum box dimensions and to improve shock resistance for the hard disk by mounting it on a metal plate / sponge rubber / metal place interface which I glued together. Sofar the only problem I detected during tests was when the GARMIN II GPS was running on COM2 and I booted XP. It seems that XP saw the mnea messages from the GPS and believed that a mouse was connected to COM2: menus opened at random and other funny things happened, and Oziexplorer could not access COM2. May be XP could be taught not detect serial devices automatically. Otherwise the gps has to be turned on after XP booted. The real test of the whole setup will happen when we hit corrugations and dust in June. Hope that they will not kill the hard disk during our one year trip in OZ....

Good luck and fun with your project.

Andy
FollowupID: 423962

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 21:58

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 21:58
Hello, No idea if this will help as I have never used it and am not sure it has functions you require (I use a PDA ..and this only works on PC)...but thought Id let you know anyway.

www.travelmate.valkron.com/index.htm

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 168509

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 10:33

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 10:33
While we are on subject here are some other OzIexplorer add ons

Site Link

www.sml.co.za/software.php

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 423918

Follow Up By: andy - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:41

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:41
thanks Greg

this an impressive list of oziexplorer addons. I will have closer look.

Andy
FollowupID: 423964

Reply By: geordie4x4 - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 22:53

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 22:53
Andy,
here are some other sites for useful GPS NEMA compatible software.

www.gartrip.de/

www.gpsu.co.uk/
AnswerID: 168661

Sponsored Links