HJ61 warning lights flashing....

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 21:22
ThreadID: 33179 Views:3692 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
took the cruiser down the coast for the weekend and got a bit of a problem. when i am at very low revs and do anything that consumes electrical power (i.e turn the headlights on or touch the brake and the brake lights come on or put it in reverse and the reversing lights come on) all the warning lights flash intermittantly - the fuel water trap warning light, both the orange & green turbo lights, the air filter warning light and the alternator lights flash and continue to flash until i increase revs - then they stop flashing until i get down to low revs again - i.e if i decelerate to corner and apply the brake the combination of low revs and the brake lights coming on cause all the warning lights to flash - anybody heard of anything like this before?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 21:29

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 21:29
Yep, check the state of your battery !
AnswerID: 168650

Follow Up By: jelm - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 20:35

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 20:35
footloose
my battery was already good - a 760cca les than 6 months old - BUT just to be sure i put a brand new 600cca battery in and alas, i still have the warning lights flashing - but looking today i found out something else - as well as all those listed warning lights flashing the auto trans oil temp light also flashes - all the lights might flash once going into park and neutral but if i go into any other gear (forward or reverse) the lights all flash very 1 or 2 seconds - when i go into a gear the revs drop to about 600 rpm and the warning lights flash - if i go into park or neutral the revs go up by about 100rpm and the lights don't flash - does this point to the alternator?? maybe at revs below 700 the alternator isn't charging enough and the warning lights flash??? - any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated - thanks
FollowupID: 424321

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 20:58

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 20:58
I'll take a punt and say I think you're on track with the charging system. You can buy a cheap multimeter and check to see if the battery terminal voltage goes up when revving, or duck into an autoelec or battery place and get them to take a quick peek.
Before you do so, check that the plug that is hanging on the alternator is secure and its making a clean connection. Water crossings and mud can gum it up.
Good luck :))
FollowupID: 424327

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 22:15

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 22:15
Check alternator brushes & connections
AnswerID: 168656

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 02:52

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 02:52
How old is the truck?
AnswerID: 168676

Follow Up By: jelm - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 20:43

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 20:43
20 years old - it's a 1986
FollowupID: 424138

Reply By: Dyno - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 19:26

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 19:26
what year is the cruiser. If its HJ61 been roughly 20yrs old maybe the wirelooms need upgrading. I also recommend Marion Bay being a good run to blow out the cobwebs.
AnswerID: 168748

Reply By: DamoHJ61 - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 21:07

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 21:07
Hi Jelm, I also have a HJ61 and have noticed this happen mainly on quick deceleration, situations where I have to get off the throttle to slow down for a lights change or sudden stop, the dash lights flash for a second & then go off again. It has happened intermittantly since owning the vehicle & resulted in a stall once some time ago.
I recently had the turbo overhauled & the problem seemed to go away, I also had the fuel system serviced (pump & injectors) and advised the service agent of this particular quirk.
He seemed to be of the opinion that this is a problem related to wear in the pump and was a result of the idle speed dropping down too low on a sudden lift off of the accelerator, the pump goes to a no fuel situation & the pump is slow to react to achieve an idle. (sounded like that!)
He advised me that the problem was fixable but the pumps on these models are expensive to repair and unless it was a real bother to put up with it. I have noticed that it is idling a little higher now than before but as of yet there has been no repeat of the problem.
I did shop around and was given the same advice by all the other diesel service agents in the area in regard to cost and the dash light issue.
Hope this helps, I would be interested in any other possible causes/fixes too!
AnswerID: 168971

Follow Up By: jelm - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:57

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:57
have done some looking into this damoHJ61 and this is the story so far - i didn't think it was related to deceleration 'cos it happened at idling or crawling speed - if i just crawled along in drive it would happen - take it out of drive and it would stop(sometimes) - checked the alternator and brushes and sliprings were fine - but to check the alternator i undid the air con compressor and cable tied it to the guard - drove around for a day an NO warning lights at low revs - put the air con back and fitted the v-belt and the warning lights came back so it was definately related to the load on the motor at low revs - now i have just had some checks done on the motor - compression in all cylinders between 400 and 480, reset valve clearances, cleaned injectors, checked boost (upto 8psi) so all seemes ok BUT the injector timimg was way out - only 3 degrees BTDC - should be 11 - so reset the injector timing and guess what - NO warning lights - only picked it up this arvo and have only driven 40kms BUT NO warning lights at all - not once - previously they would come on at every idle - every set of lights, or corner, or stop sign - i'm not going to say it's fixed BUT it is definately better - it hasn't happened yet!!! - i'll drive it for a few days and let you know how it goes.
FollowupID: 425949

Sponsored Links