Removing a clutch fan/benefits!

Submitted: Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 20:07
ThreadID: 33203 Views:3777 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Could I please ask for advice on the benefits of removing the engine driven clutch fan and installing a Craog/Davies thermo-fan.

I want to remove the fan off my Hilux V6 as I beleive it drains alot of power off my engine and I would benefit from not only increase fuel economy but it'd run alot quieter too.

Has anybody done this or a similar mod and could you please let me know of the benefits you received from doing it. Should I go ahead with it?

All comments greatly appreciated,

TUFF IFS LUX (aka Max)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 21:25

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 21:25
Max, I guess if I was to move 1 cubic metre of air with an electric fan(s) versus using a pulley and a clutch it would be better to rely on the mechanical one if you got to be close to the limit of charging with your alternator.

That aside, the original question of the power to move air would hardly differ as the clutch is designed to freewheel if the power isn't required to pull it. I would have thought anyway. Davies Craig I have no doubt have other ideas.

I remember how I could get the old Falcon ute to rev and go faster without a fan though. It had no clutch for the fan in the 1960s though. It would go right through to valve bounce without the fan on but overheat in traffic.
AnswerID: 168786

Reply By: Stuart - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 21:37

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 21:37
Hi Max, I wouldn't do it. You should only hear your fan on initial start up or when the engine gets hot. If you can hear it all the time then something is wrong with the hub. These type of fans won't spin past about 2500rpm and then the hub will just free wheel or slip so it's not like it will try to spin to 5000 rpm. I've been involved in a lot of V8 cruiser conversions and most of the one's with over heating problems have gained a lot of additional cooling when thermos have been replaced with a clutch fan. The thermos just don't seem to be able to pull the air that a properly shrouded clutch fan can. That's been my experience anyway.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 168790

Follow Up By: Marn - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 05:19

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 05:19
My friend put a 5.0 injected holden motor in his 75 series ute and could not keep it cool. The eventual fix was to remove the 2 thermos and put the clutch fan back on. No problems since. I would be inclined to leave the lux as is.

Gerard
FollowupID: 424183

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 15:41

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 15:41
Hi there Stuart, would that mean I have something wrong with mine?? as if I'm pulling up a hill with say air con on and temp starts to climb to halfway which is only a mil or to from where it runs at normal operating temperature I can hear my fan start to cut in sounds like a jet winding up then the gauge drops down to where it was and you can hear the fan fade back out again, isnt this the way they are suppose to work, myn has the little spring at the front of it which is supposidly to detect the heat from the radiator so it then locks up the fan to pull air through. This is still the original clutch fan on mine and vehicle has done 280klm and never climbs above half even with air on in a 40c day. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 424258

Follow Up By: Stuart - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:41

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:41
Hi Max, I know exactly what your talking about as the fan in my Cruiser was doing the same thing. Just cruising down the highway I could hear the fan cycling in and out, most annoying and it shouldn't do that. I got another hub off a V6 Toyota or Nissan (amazing how interchangable some parts are) and it had a thicker spring on it. That fixed the problem and I only hear the fan on start up or if the gauge hits 3/4. It has only ever got that warm 3 times in 4 years and that's with having a 350 Chev under the bonnet. I would concider replacing your hub. I think the spring gets weak after a few years. That's my opinion anyway. CHeers Stuart.
FollowupID: 424301

Reply By: crfan - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 00:43

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 00:43
Hi Max. if it saved fuel and increased HP it would be standard.Or every aftermarket place would be pushing it.
not just the cyclone/finch people.
AnswerID: 168815

Reply By: A.J - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:57

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:57
G'day
I tried the exact same thing with my Jackaroo, first tried 2 ten inch, didn't work, then tried a ten and a 14, still didn't work, went up to a 20 and guess what... . . still didn't work. I have since returned all the thermos and paid $500 for a new clutch. Save your money and stick with what the vehicle came out with.
Cheers
A.J
AnswerID: 168859

Follow Up By: Aandy(WA) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 20:22

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 20:22
Couldn't agree more! I had 2X 10in on a Pajero - never really successful. Electric fans are OK when supplied as OE - I have one on my motorbike and it keeps the temp under control beautifully but the aftermarket on the Paj used to run endlessly on a hot day and the relays supplied also gave problems
FollowupID: 424319

Reply By: TUFF IFS LUX - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 14:09

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 14:09
thanks all for the advice. I think I'll leave it the way it is. Aint it good to have this forum to get quick advice before you dive into a project?

Once again, thanks.

Max.
AnswerID: 168892

Sponsored Links