Kalumburu Access Permit

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 11:07
ThreadID: 33219 Views:1987 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have got conflicting info on permist required for Kalumburu. A site search has not entirely clarified the matter. Some examples are:

EO trek notes say a permit is required, but is readily available on arrival. Only mentions one permit.

Explore Australia by 4WD (Book by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage) says two permits are required. An Access Permit (no charge) obtainable from Aboriginal Lands Trust, and an Entry Permit (fee payable) obtainable from Kununurra Visitors Centre or at Kalumburu Aboriginal Corporation Office.

Hema 'The Kimberley' Map says visitors must obtain a permit in advance from the DIA (no charge) and a second permit from the community office on arrival.

Anyone able to clarify this for me?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 11:32

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 11:32
Answered my own question. Found the WA DIA web site and I needed entry permits for Kalumburu and a number of other places we will be travelling before we go. Very easy though. Applied on line and got the permit immediatly with four areas covered under the one permit.
AnswerID: 168870

Follow Up By: ZUKSCOOTERX90(QLD-MEMBER) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 11:50

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 11:50
Hi Norm, well done & have a good trip . lucky bugger,Bob.
FollowupID: 424235

Reply By: Mama June - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 12:39

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 12:39
Hi Norm C
Glad you sorted all your permits out.
I have been reading the Ron and Viv Moon's book on the Kimberley, Edition 5 of 2004 quite thoroughly. Their information agrees quite well with a couple of good sites I have found on Kalumburu.
We only need a permit for Kalumburu this trip so only need the one.
We have no idea when we will be arriving so can't provide dates as we have been able to do in the past, so feel we can't get one in advance.
Apparently there are a few ways to obtain a permit: it can be obtained from the Community office on arrival, or even from Honeymoon Beach or McGowan's Island campgrounds. Or it can be obtained beforehand through the Kalumburu Aboriginal Corporation.
It is valid for 21 days' stay at Kalumburu. Both the Moon's book and the Kalumburu sites put the permit price at $25. I haven't investigated yet to see if it is still the same price. Does your multiple permit indicate the Kalumburu price at all? It would be interesting to know whether it has changed.

AnswerID: 168877

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 13:06

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 13:06
Mama June, you actually need two permits for Kalumburu. One from DIA, WA. See the link I posted above. This one is free and lets you drive through aboriginal land to get to the place. The other is the one you mention, which you can get when you get there.

I'm sure lots of people go without the access permit from DIA, but it costs nothing to get it, and is very easy over the net.

On my permit, I covered One Arm Point, Middle Lagoon and Cape Leveque as well. I gave a start date as my earliest likely arrival date, and a finish date about 9 weeks later, to make sure I was covered. Had no problem. I selected recreation as the purpose of my visit.
FollowupID: 424241

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 13:25

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 13:25

Did you only need the one permit for everywhere you are going or separate ones? We are going to Kalumburu, Middle Lagoon, Beagle Bay. I just wasn't sure if I had to apply for permits to each.

AnswerID: 168884

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 13:32

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 13:32
When you go to the DIA web site (link in original post), it will list all the places you need an entry permit for, including the three you mention. You can select all three on the one permit. Just hold down the Control key when you select each one with your mouse. All three will be highlighted. So you will have all three on one permit. The permit lists them as area numbers, not names. But I selected four areas, and got a permit with four area numbers, so I'm assuming I have a permit to them all.
FollowupID: 424242

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 13:36

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 13:36
Thanks for that Norm,

Happy travelling..........

FollowupID: 424243

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 21:16

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 21:16
Went in to DIA site this afternoon and got the permit for everywhere I needed. No problems at all. Thanks for the help.

FollowupID: 424338

Reply By: Kenell - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:24

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:24

When you get to Kalumburu you have to go to the office to register,whether you already have the required 2 permits or not. They record your entry and ask you to place a sticker on your windscreen. Be aware that they are not open on weekends and have a siesta between about 11.00am and 2.00pm. Not sure what the ramifications of not doing this are. We were mis informed in Kununurra last year when we bought our permit at the visitor centre. They told us the office was open every day. In case you are interested McGowans is the better camping spot imho. I have stayed there twice and the guy who runs it is a good bloke. He assisted people with mechanical problems as best he could and was happy to take people out fishing for a small fee if they had no boat. He also happily provided bait to anyone who asked for nix.

Enjoy your trip. I envy you as we look forward to a southern winter.

AnswerID: 168938

Reply By: Ray Bates - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:41

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:41
My sound daft but what if I have a prospectors license?
AnswerID: 168943

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 20:49

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 20:49
Don't know, but I doubt that it helps at all. An as I say, getting the access permit is free, easy and quick (providing you do it via the web). On the DIA WA web site, the first question asked is something like 'Does this permit relate to a mining activity' I obviously answered no. A yes answer would probably raise a whole new set of issues I suspect.
FollowupID: 424325

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)