HF channels

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 15:53
ThreadID: 33230 Views:3566 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Our club is about to program some Codan 9313 HF radios with limited channel capacity. We are putting in our club freq's, plus the usual VKS channels. The remainin channels (prob about 6) will most likely be filled with RFDS channels.
RFDS usage has changed significantly in recent times. With a leaning to WA-use, including the CSR, what, in members' opinion, are the most useful daytime frequ's for RFDS these days?
And is 2020Khz used by anyone these days?
Thanks in advance
Gerry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 16:07

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 16:07
If your club has the capability to program those radios, I'm surprised that the information is requested.
Daytime RFDS frequencies will be 5 meg and above for your selected regions
Any around 7 or 8 meg will work well.
Nightime use the 4/5 meg ones or lower.
2020 is still used as RFDS common nightime, but mostly in QLD AFIK.
AnswerID: 168910

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 16:47

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 16:47
Dont forget to find out what frequencies the NT ABC is as it is real handy to listen to the news and the Footy, Not sure what they are but look on the web ABC and it should have them,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 168923

Follow Up By: joc45 - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:54

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:54
Hi Doug,
Yes, where we have the channels, we fit both NT ABC and Radio Aust frequencies. I think the ABC frequencies are relatively low power, as their coverage is not all that brilliant, from my experience in the region. But Radio Aust does broadcast the footy to our neighbors, as well as the news/current affairs, and the coverage is excellent in the north if one tunes to the Asian frequencies.
Cheers,
Gerry
FollowupID: 424489

Reply By: Member - Stephen L- Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:16

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:16
joc45
Does you Club have permission from the Australian Communications Authority to use HF Frequencies? I know the The VKS frequencies took a long time to aquire, and were limited to what channels they could use and if your club does not have the correct permission, you could that your club will be in deep trouble from the ACA.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 168933

Reply By: joc45 - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 01:00

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 01:00
Hmmm, from the above, I'm regretting having posted this request on this forum and perhaps should have contacted RFDS directly.
Just to put worried people at rest;
- Our club has had a license for several commercial HF frequencies for several decades, and pays a lot of money each year for the privelege. This includes an RFDS outpost license. We do have to share these frequencies with other commercial users; ie, they are not exclusive to our club.
- Yes, several members not only have the programming ability to modify these sets, but have the qualifications and test equipment to set them up.
- Yes, we know all about night time and daytime frequencies.
- Yes, we have a full list of RFDS frequencies.
- We rarely use RFDS, but fit the channels coz we have a license to do so and it's useful in an emergency.
- Just because we are technically competent in radio communications does not mean that we are necessarily conversant with current RFDS usage.

So re-stating the question:
We have about 6 channels left in the set which we intend to use for RFDS, so we cannot obviously use all the current channels they service. With a leaning to WA-useage, including the CSR, what, in members' experience, would be the best 6 channels to use for daytime use, given that a lot of the RFDS channels get little use these day.
And does anyone still use the RFDS chat channel 2020Khz these days?

Gerry
AnswerID: 169003

Reply By: wheeleybin - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 07:55

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 07:55
Gerry
You espouse the higher knowledge than most so why ask a question that only degrades that perception of knowledge as your CLUB be what may should already know that answer but seeing as you are asking.

Ring RFDS on 1800 813 318 or visit at www.flyingdoctor.net/central and while your at it please make a donation you might need them for moire than just information at some time.

Three licenced Clubs in Aus and they all know.
4x4 Radio Club
HF Radio Club
Bush Telegraph

Wheeley

AnswerID: 169010

Follow Up By: joc45 - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 16:51

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 16:51
Wheeley,
You are assuming that our club is a 4wd club, which it is not, and we have not used RFDS for some time, as our own HF (and VHF/UHF) channels serve the purpose admirably. But it is our intention to continue to fit both VKS and RFDS channels for their occasional use (yes, our members do subscribe to the VKS channels, tho on a private basis, not a club basis).
Hence our lack of use of the RFDS channels sparked this request, not our lack of experience in the technology. Not all RF communications engineers keep across how useful certain RFDS channels are; there are plenty of other issues to keep us busy.
I have my own perceptions of what are useful RFDS channels, but was trying to survey what other Ozi members thought.

It was not my intention to get into a slanging match over what I thought was a simple request, and apologise to Ozi members, the majority of whose opinions I value.

Oh, and we do contribute significantly to RFDS each year.

Gerry
FollowupID: 424441

Follow Up By: wheeleybin - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:55

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:55
Gerry

I assumed nothing ! I am not entering a slanging match and appreciate your now candid reponse as in my opinion your first post left a lot in the dark.

I listed the three Clubs for reference as all other users appear to be commercial enterprises.

I now will assume that you are not in Oz.

I also accept that you contribute to RFDS as there are a lot that dont and Im sure your input is greatly appreciated.

Wheeley
FollowupID: 424472

Follow Up By: joc45 - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:56

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:56
Sorry if I didn't make myself clearer in the original post.
We are an Australian club.
cheers,
Gerry
FollowupID: 424490

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:00

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:00
2020 is used mainly for vehicle-to-vehicle comms when reasonably close - but you your aerials may not cover this very low frequency.

Mike
AnswerID: 169118

Follow Up By: joc45 - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:48

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:48
Thanks Mike,
yes, we used to use 2020 about 20 yrs ago for vehicle to vehicle, but it had limited range - more ground wave propagation, so I concur with your thoughts. We have our own channel at around 2500, but we rarely use that for the same reason (not that we do much night-time work).
Terlin do make an Outback9 which covers this channel, but our members' antennas usually start at something higher, or we use a portable multi-band dipole. I've personally cut my own whip down to 2500, but it was too much trouble to get enough wire on for 2020.
Thanks,
Gerry
FollowupID: 424486

Sponsored Links