tyres and insurance..

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 21:42
ThreadID: 33243 Views:2160 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Had a quick look through the new 4x4 mag today, haven't yet read it as it is a friends copy.. but I got a glimpse of something that said that your insurance company may not pay up if you have bigger tyres and rims....

So long as any modifications or additions done to your vehicle are road worthy passed by department of transport, what have they got to stand on to not pay up?(and also making sure that any mods or additions have all been told to your insurance company)

Jo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 22:24

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 22:24
IF it’s on the policy and legal there shouldn’t be any problem.

As for not paying up if you have bigger rims and tyres fitted, Well I had a mate who had a Statesman with a set of American racing rims on it which were Illegal in Australia no ifs or but about it, The seller told us this when we brought them and said if the cop’s realise you will be done for em, the tyre store also noted that there were an illegal rim in Australia.

Well 1 year latter the car was written off when a BMW ran into the side of it and the Insurance payed up the full amount with no issues, we even went and pulled the rims off the car before it was taken to the scrap yard after the insurance assessor had looked over it at the panel beaters, The tyres that were fitted were also larger than stock.

He then went and brought a Ute back land cruiser and fitted 10-inch rims with 33-inch muddies and was rear ended at a red light, once agene no issues with insurance.

Might of just been luck but.

It’s best to read over the laws, as each state is a little different about what can be done.
AnswerID: 168986

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 22:29

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 22:29
Sounds like possibly neither accident was his fault and the other parties insurer was the paying party rather than his?

Would that make a difference?

Dave
FollowupID: 424352

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:18

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:18
. Yes nether was his fault; the statesman was a pain with insurance as the husband of the lady driver who hit him was just being a prick about the whole thing and not co-operating on the insurance side of thing’s, I think My mates insurer ended up paying out for the statesman and then sending the bill off to the other insurance company.
FollowupID: 424476

Reply By: madCrow - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 00:45

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 00:45
Hi Jo & Mark
re: your Q about tyres and insurance... unfortunitely the insurance firms work on who's to blame in case of an accident, including percentage of blame, if your not responsible at all they pay out. They base their assesment & their insurance of a vehicle according to the rules & regulations drawn up under the "Australian Design Rules" which give the guide lines to how the vehicle should look, feel, behave etc., etc., including what type of deoderant/aftershave (if it's a boy) is best your truck.
When insuring my truck, a Patrol, I asked what mods I could do & proceeded to list what ones I was considering. Two that the insurance firm was very strick on, were vehicle lift, no more than 50mm & tyre size, (diametre is not super critical) it's tyre width that they limit.
All the ADR regs are applied to insured vehicles.
You can read the ADR guides @ the vic roads web site so
check it out
They even have rules as to how dark your window tinting can be.
Arghhhhh.
Yes people can do any mod they what to a vehicle, monster 35 inche tyres with 3 inche body lift & 4 inche suspension lift & if they can feel comfortable that their insurance company will cover their truck, especially if their responsible for the accident, hmmm, they can live long & prosper in Nar Nar land. (may be I'm wrong in thinking that insurance companies are sticklers rules, regs & that they are profit driven)
I'm insured with the RACV.

madCrow

......(\,,,/)
......(0_o)
\\\\(-><-)///// The large shy bunny wabbit with a hair cut, hides in the grass.
To hear Elmer Fud cry, makes bunny sigh!
AnswerID: 168999

Follow Up By: Jo and Mark - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 09:33

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 09:33
thanks guys,

words of wisdom would be then before we do anything to the car, check it out with insurance first. I'd rather play it extra safe then be sorry later!
FollowupID: 424384

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:29

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:29
A responsible tyre service won't fit non-complying tyres, they will adhere to the parameters of the manufacturers affixed tyre placard.
FollowupID: 424481

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 12:40

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 12:40
same thing happened th eother week at work not wheels but along the same lines.
young girl comes in with her lancer and asks if we can fit a sports steering wheel and coloured gear knob that she had just bought.
i told her there both illegal/unroadworthy because they dont meet adr regs and she might have trouble with insurance if theres an accident.
she left and called her insurer to check they said there ok as lonng as she tells them about it.
she came back i said you sure she said yes so i fitted them cash no reciept.
its only if she has an accident that the insurers will have trouble with them
AnswerID: 169058

Sponsored Links