Further to Post 32194 - 05 Navara front end

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 00:12
ThreadID: 33246 Views:1691 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all

Further to Post 32194

Yep! I’m back with part 2 of the 05 Nissan Navara front tyre scrub out at 25,000kms due to – according to Nissan Head Office – weight in rear causing front end to lift and throwing the alignment out.

Firstly though I would like to thank all of you that responded to Part 1

I saw the gentleman in question on Monday ( only ever see him at best once a week) and queried him as to what had happened since I last spoke to him.

He stated that the tyre place (Donellans for those of you who want to gob off) had re aligned the wheels in an effort to correct the scrubbing effect on the tyres.

Once Nissan Head Office was appraised of this they apparently didn’t want anything more to do with it, as it had been ‘changed from point of sale by a third party’ and their dealer now couldn’t assess what if anything was wrong.

Now before you say it was OVERLOADED, Donellans didn’t think so and the load was swapped from his Mazda Bravo to the Navara on sale day with no obvious overload effect.

So does anyone have any thoughts why this is so.

I noticed that someone mentioned ride height corrected/levelled by different torsion bars etc etc on one of their vehicles that was doing something similar.

Whatever, it seems as though he is going to have a battle with Nissan over it and I get the gist he is just going to sell it and let someone else solve it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 07:36

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 07:36
"seems as though he is going to have a battle with Nissan over it"

How unusal from Nissan. This seem to be their approach to any problem with their vehicles.... It must be the owners fault, couldn't be something we've done.

That's why people spend the extra for the Toyota product. At least if something goes wrong you have a better chance of the manufacturer backing you up with warranty work. Just My Opinion.

Cheers Trevor.
AnswerID: 169008

Reply By: snow - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 15:54

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 15:54
Strewth, if your having trouble with wheel alignments ona Navara I wouldn't recommend coming to Rockhampton to get one done...
AnswerID: 169108

Reply By: macca172 - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:31

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:31
I just ordered and paid a deposit on a ST-X. Fingers crossed this is not going to be an inherited fault!

Macca
AnswerID: 169129

Reply By: bigcol - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:43

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:43
I wound up the front torsion bars about 40mm on my D22 Navara and it threw the alignment out an absolute mile and that was even after doing the same to the rear.
It's the same with nearly any car , once you change the ride height it affects the geometry. Which needs to be rectified or otherwise it will scrub out tyres.
I carry a fair amount in the back of mine and the alignment was always done with some weight in it.
After the lift we had to change the toe as it was in a mile as well as the camber as it had a mile of positive on it.. As least the camber can be adjusted on the D22 Navara.
Not sure about the D40 though.
Funny thing about it though this thing never ever scrubbed tyres and i felt it drove well but after doing the camber and setting it up properly i couldn't believe how much better it was.
AnswerID: 169179

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 21:26

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 21:26
Thank you all for the replies.

I'll pass the 'advice/experience' on to him and he can pursue it from there.

Just seems strange that a vehicle is built to take external loads, and when loaded to 'some' degree not deemed to be an 'overload', it chops tyres due to the front end allegedly being lifted by the 'load'.

Obviously a Claytons - you know, the load your having when your not having a load.
AnswerID: 169197

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 01:38

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 01:38
it could be the same as the RA rodeo, weak front end and chassis allows front wheels to toe out under braking, rapidly chopping out the inner shoulders of the front wheels. The RA i had had to get new rubber all round at 23000k. That was with rotation at 10000 to put chopped tyres at back.

Made in thailand - oh what a feeling, work utes that can't do any work !!
AnswerID: 169241

Sponsored Links