Gulf track - open when and is snorkel needed?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:27
ThreadID: 33268 Views:2553 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We are leaving for the Gulf in two weeks and the amount of water up there has us worried! It will be about three weeks from now until we reach Borroloola. Does anyone out there have a crystal ball good enough to tell me if the roads will be open in 3 weeks, i.e. is it reasonable or now way in the world? Where is the best place to get info like this from ? I have checked the RACQ website (and a similar one for NT) which tells me in detail which roads are closed but I don't know who to contact to get any predictions for when the roads will be opened.

Also, I have a turbo diesel Prado and when planning the trip I had not intended to fit a snorkel thinking there are no major creek crossings. With all the water around now I am not so sure - can anyone advise if there are any significant water crossings for which I will need a snorkel? I have lived on the Cape so am no stranger to water crossings (in a different vehicle with snorkel) but have no knowledge of the Gulf Track.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Ando
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kevin R (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:34

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:34
Hi Ando,

There are a lot of creek crossings once you leave qld and move into the northern territory. There has been a huge wet in the gulf this year and I would expect that you will maybe find parts of the gulf track impassable. Suggest ringing relevant cop shops for up to date info.

Cheers

Kevin
AnswerID: 169131

Reply By: andoland - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:34

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:34
Forgot to add:

We are going from west to east, starting at Borroloola. We intend to head down to Lawn Hill NP via Bowthorn Station. From Karumba we plan to head up to Dunbar and Mitchell River before heading south to Chillagoe.

Ando
AnswerID: 169133

Reply By: DesC - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:43

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:43
Friends of mine just drove to Burketown from the Burdekin 4 days ago and flew to Sweers Island
AnswerID: 169136

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:14

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:14
Ando,a snorkel is good insurance for any 4wd'ing,five hundred odd bucks is cheap compared to a engine rebuild.We done the gulf track a few years ago,in a year that the wet wasnt wet at all and there was still a few creeks that had water over wheel height.
AnswerID: 169171

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:27

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:27
Submarine might also be good. Make sure you tie it down well to the boat rack.....:))) oh! and don't forget the jerrycans...

Grrr!!!
FollowupID: 424517

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 22:38

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 22:38
You are talking 5 weeks before getting on the Savannah Road inthe Gulf.From my experience at that time of year you should have no problems without a snorkel but if you are going North off the Karumba /Chillagoe road into the Mitchell River area I would certainly consider a snorkel especially after such a heavy wet season.
AnswerID: 169215

Sponsored Links