Tewantin to Rainbow

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 22:50
ThreadID: 33284 Views:3560 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I'm heading up to Rainbow in a couple of days. We're planning on hitting the beach at Tewantin and heading up from there. I understand Mudlo is impassable so we need to use Freshwater track. Our plan is to hit the beach a couple of hours before low, which should give us plenty of time to cruise up, and maybe stop for a fish along the way.

Another family coming with us have been talked out of the beach drive as they are towing a trailer. We have seen plenty of trailers, campers and boats being towed up Fraser and so assumed our drive would also be quite fine. Now I'm wondering if it is a tougher drive than I'm expecting.

Any thoughts on this? should I tell our friend to stop being scardy cats and come along as it will be no problem? Or are they being smart?

Any advise will be appreciated. (they are driving a petrol landcruiser, its a 6 cyl, not sure of capacity)

Thanks,
PJ.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: walruz - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 22:59

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 22:59
Beach easy drive, Freshwater presently in good condition, only challenge is soft approaches= common sense.
AnswerID: 169221

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 23:57

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 23:57
You should be fine. Last time I went on the Fresh water track back in Dec it was pretty good and they fixed allot of the big droppes. There was a crew that went through there with some Jet-Skis and they did fine
AnswerID: 169229

Reply By: tdcockers - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 05:48

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 05:48
we went up on anzac day, everywhere is passable, but you will have to time your run on the bottom half of the tide, and cross the rocks at rainbow at nearly low tide to be safe.
AnswerID: 169244

Follow Up By: pauljohnston - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:03

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:03
The rocks at rainbow, is that mudlo? I had heard that you couldn't get through there at the moment.

Thanks
PJ.
FollowupID: 424583

Reply By: Shawsie (Member - Bris) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:53

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:53
Hi Paul, would love to believe that mudlo is passable (anyone?) however, we were there a month ago and a friend towed his tinny through the Freshwater track with no problems.
AnswerID: 169268

Reply By: Dave_01 - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:00

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:00
Hi PJ,

I go to rainbow beach quite often via tewantin, always towing an off road camper trailer with my '92 Pajero, never been stuck yet. Sand driving there is a little tough, but easy if you use common sence. When towing I have my tyre pressure arround 18-20 psi, both car and trailer, most people say you don't need to reduce the trailer tyre pressure, but it does help (dosn't dig in as much). Also, have plenty of motion when entering and exiting the beach in soft sand, maybe consider use low range 2nd or 3rd gear.

As for mudlo, not sure about now, but never had a problem there but phone the local tourest centre for info. GET YOUR TIDE TIMES CORRECT, you can safely drive 3 hrs either side of low tide.

Hope this helps.

Dave.
AnswerID: 169271

Reply By: Coolman - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:16

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:16
I take my Pajero and offroad trailer up there all the time without a problem. I do let some air out of the tyres but if the cutting is not too soft I ususally only drop them to 25 because most of the run is hard sand, if the beach is chopped up or a higher tide then I go to 18 - 20.

If you are right on low tide I would have a look at mudlo (Rainbow) but Freshwater track is not too bad anyway.

Tell your friends they will be fine. (You can always snatch them out if they are stuck) It is a much better drive than going via Gympie.
AnswerID: 169295

Reply By: EXTREME1 - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:44

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:44
Was up at rainbow on Anzac day and the ranger told me they have lost 6 cars in 2 weeks at the rocks, she advised me to take the freshwater track which was in good condition. We noticed a road crew were working on the track at the rainbow end.
AnswerID: 169312

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 16:01

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 16:01
There is a epa qld report dated April 20 2006here. It's worth a read!
AnswerID: 169332

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 16:02

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 16:02
Buggered up the link.......
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/publications/p01713aa.pdf/Cooloola_conditions_report.pdf

Try that!
FollowupID: 424644

Reply By: Fusion - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 18:31

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 18:31
G'day PJ,

Had my Patrol and Adventure Camper up the beach to camp at Freshwater campground a couple of days ago. No problem. I took the 3rd cutout to the beach (from the Ferry end) there was about 10m of soft sand... too easy.

I was letting my tyres down at the first cutting (where most go) when a guy came off the beach and said the 3rd cutting is like a highway, smooth as. Then I was about to go when a guy in what looked like a 2wd datsun ute got stuck going out the 1st cutting. I turned around and headed for the 3rd cutting. Funny thing is the guys girlfriend was wearing good comfy beach camping wear. Knee high, high heel leather boots, a skirt that was more belt than skirt and a skimpy singlet thing with bra showing etc. We had to laugh ;)

Anyway, your friend will have no problem on the beach. We also went up the freshwater track, again, your friend should have no problem there either.

Aaron.
AnswerID: 169350

Reply By: Mikee5 - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 18:56

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 18:56
I was at Mudlo Rocks on Good Friday. Vehicles (with and without trailers) were driving through on sand at low tide without any problems, water was only an inch or two deep or less. The sand should have built up more since then as the weather has been kinder. As with all beach driving use care, watch the action of the waves and pick your time and route through this section, do not drive too fast as you will only cause problems. I watched one guy walk ahead with a hand held CB and call back to his wife who drove through - smart thinking. There was a vehicle there bashed up against the rocks, apparently he tried to drive through two hours before high tide? Appropriate (lower) tyre pressures also make things easier and safer.
AnswerID: 169357

Reply By: lbudgie - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 19:47

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 19:47
i went up the freshwater track the day befor anzac day, noproblems . only little bit tricky bit is getting on and of the beach , a bit soft but no probs with a bit of brains and momentum. as for the beach driving, its eazy as , nice and hard sand.
was a bit woried also as it was my first time but no probs. definatly go the beach way , beats the hyway trafic.
goodluck
Lbudgie
AnswerID: 169888

Sponsored Links