Gunbarrel Conditions and Timing

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 01:01
ThreadID: 33289 Views:1706 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there. We are currently planning to drive the Gunbarrel Hwy from Wiluna to Yalara in July (06). Can somebody give us an idea of the time we would expect to take to do the abandoned section from Warburton to Giles?
We will be travelling in 3 vehicles - no trailers.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 10:01

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 10:01
Not sure myself either and I'll be watching this thread with interest as I will probably be doing the same trip around the same time.
AnswerID: 169281

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 10:24

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 10:24
Me too. Sounds like they may need to install traffic lights at intersections :)
FollowupID: 424601

Reply By: Member - Clay G (WA) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:53

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:53
We are doing the same trip the week later and have done the abandoned section before in two days without problems. Make sure you have your permits and worth booking with Giles for a morning tour of the weather station.

Cheers

Clay
AnswerID: 169314

Reply By: phantom - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 15:52

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 15:52
Hi xtra,
We did the trip and drove from 80 kms before (western side) of Tchukalira (excuse spelling, I have trouble saying it, let alone spelling) to Warakurna in one day. Got up next day and spent fantastic 1/2 day at Giles weather station.
Of course it depends on road conditions at the prevaing time. We found that the roads through Aboriginal areas far better cared for than other sections.
AnswerID: 169330

Follow Up By: Member - Clay G (WA) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 17:53

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 17:53
If you were going from Tjukayirla (aboriginal word for impossible to spell) to Warakurna you would have been on the Great Central Road. This is like a highway compared to parts of the Gunbarrel and on average speeds are about twice as fast.
FollowupID: 424667

Reply By: Member - Darryl - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 19:00

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 19:00
xtragrouse
From Heather HwyTjunction on the first section of abandoned gunbarrel is ok and then deteriates.Some badly washed out sections with some detours in place.(we towed throughit no worries but just watch out for staking tryes on detours)You then hit the freeway for some way and the general car wreck on the side of the road country then back to a track past million dollar corner and the rawlinson ranges which in my opinion is the probably the best part of the trip , rough with lots of creek crossings and stoney ground .Then its into Giles .You should allow 2 days travel and enjoy as its a section that is quite remote and has its hidden treasures along the way.We camped at million dollar corner and if you read books written by Len Beadell about the making of the road prior to making trip you will enjoy it doubly as much.

I have assumed you are travelling west to n/east to Giles

Darryl
AnswerID: 169361

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 21:49

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 21:49
We did it last October.

The abandoed section is an 80kph highway from Warburton to the half way mark (where there's a turnoff to an aboriginal community). The section from the half way mark to Giles is brilliant. Lots of beautiful desert oaks, and travel alongside Rawlinson Ranges. If you've got a bit of spare time, spend it in the north section.

Permit takes a little bit of fast talking to the Naj.................. Council office in Alice Springs. They only allow you infor 3 days, and stipulate conditions like the number of vehicles and either sat phone or HF.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 169393

Reply By: xtragrouse - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 01:43

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 01:43
Thanks guys for your responses. I have driven the Great Central road once and bussed it once in the past two years. Am familiar with that section of the road. Your replies re the Gunbarrel are appreciated. We plan to do the Connie Sue Hwy from Warburton to Laverton on the return trip. That should be fun as well - a long no fuel stretch.

Cheers
AnswerID: 171849

Sponsored Links