oil blow back through turbo

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 01:03
ThreadID: 33290 Views:8456 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys I have recently purchased a 2001 nissan navara 3ltr turbo , but it blows oil back through the turbo. I have heard of this problem before , but there are a couple of things I would really like to know . For one is it a big prob (o-k if you run out of oil I know that one) and how can I over come this . Cheers Rhino...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bucky - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 07:44

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 07:44
G day Rhino
I have a 2003 Navara 3.0 TD ,, I have a problem similar, but mine is only a weep.

I took it to Nissan Dealership ant they told , me its normal for them to weep a little.
I fixed the weep problem by removing the " schite " turbo hose clamp, and replacing it with a new " real Stainless " clamp ,, no more weeps ... but I religiously check my oil..

But a Mate ( mechanic ) tells me that there is a couple of gaskets on the turbo that you can change which " may " stop the unsitely leaks,, I'm not sure..I'm not a mechanic.

You see, you must look at the nature of whats going on there ,, Just above the turbo is the positive crank case ventilation, return hose, its probably that that is causing the problem, as it will dump oil into the turbo ..
Pls check the PCV valve ,,,If they have one ,,,,It could be called the scavanger valve, but again I am no mechanic,,,I not 100% sure

You can ring Nissan, and find out if the " Scavanger Valve " has been changed,
and thd dip stick been " recalibrated ",,, I think that that one was on Nissan, it was part of their " recall " , And I use tha term loosly ,,...

I would be interested in finding out how much oil you use,, you may have the dredded Nissan series 1 motor problem ,,
Good Luck
Bucky

AnswerID: 169252

Reply By: snow - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:55

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:55
Bucky I too have an 03 Nav and yep the dealer told me exactly the same thing when I queried the oil on the underside of the turbo. HAve you had an other issues with your NAv?
AnswerID: 169278

Follow Up By: bucky - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 06:36

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 06:36
G day Snow
My 03 Navara is a great vehicle, 75,000 km ,
So far I have one problem, from new ( turbo-lag ). I asked the agent to fix the problem and got a lecture on how to drive turbo's, which infuriated me , as at one stage I drove Tippers, and Concrete Mixers for a living ,,
I had it put on a DYNO and the problem corrected, with a service and it was still cheaper anything that Nissan could throw up ..I use Independant, quality garages to do my service work, from that point on .
I put on Cooper ATR tyres at 28,000 km and never looked back
But do yourself a favor, study the oil specs thoroughly, and take extreme care in which oil you use,,all the specs are listed in the manual,,
The other thing to do is only use Genuine Nissan Coolant in, there is nothing that matches Nissan specs. If you have a problem, that is one of the first places apparently they check,,if it ain't genuine you will be wiped
Drop me an email bloh@aapt.net.au
cheers mate
Bucky

FollowupID: 424736

Reply By: Nav 8 - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 10:52

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 10:52
Yep, same here, it is normal for a little oil to pass through the turbo but should not make a noticeable effect on oil consumption. As sugested above change the hose clamps to a decent type and that should fix any weepage from the hoses. If you have a drop in oil level and or blue smoke from the exhaust I would sugest a seal in the turbo is leaking and this would mean a turbo overhaul.
Most people theese days dont cool the turbo before they shut the engine down after a long run ( some dealers tell you you dont have to) but if you look in the handbook under section 4-4 turbocharger it tells you in heavy print to let the engine idle for a few min befor shutting down. The turbo gets very hot when towing or during a long run and if you shut the engine down straight away the oil in the turbo can boil an cook the seals..........Nav.
AnswerID: 169291

Reply By: snow - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:14

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:14
Correct Nav8, one of the first things I looked for in the manual after purchasing my Nav...I always idle down with the time dependant upon the nature of the prior drive (if that makes any sense...)

AnswerID: 169294

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:55

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:55
GDay Rhino
There is not a ZD30 in a patrol or navara that comes through my workshop that doesn't have oil in the intake pipes/intercooler.
It is from the PCV but if it is excessive it could be the turbo seal gone. If this was gone it would be belching smoke.
Not sure if this helps but try my site at
www.lonards-automotives.com.au
Different car but same engine. Different turbo though.
Cheers
120scruiser
AnswerID: 169315

Follow Up By: bucky - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 07:02

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 07:02
G day 120scruiser
Love Lonards Site
its enlightening to see that there is actually people out there that are so thorough
Great to see
Cheers Mate
Bucky
FollowupID: 424741

Follow Up By: rhino - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 16:49

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 16:49
Hi guys thanks for all the imfo on my prob with oil blow back through the turbo. I,ll put all the imfo to good use. Just a couple of other things how would an intercooler go would it make any diff apart from the ob increase in power?? and also I have spoken to a exhaust fitter and he has told me that he has fitted a 3in exhaust from the turbo back to a couple of nav,s and the owners of those have stated that they now pull like a frieght train , i,ll like your thoughts .. Cheers Rhino . By the way 120scruiser love Lonards site..
FollowupID: 425884

Reply By: Dirty Smitty - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 19:50

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 19:50
I directed a query to my local Nissan Service Manager 2day about the same issue. He informed me that due to the thinner oil used as opposed to the old Nissan oil which had a higher viscosity/resistance to flow it sprays out a thin film of oil which is visible on both of the rubber hoses after the turbo. I went on to inform him of the slight use/consumption of oil and he went on to inform me that it was quiet ok and within limits/specifications. He assured me that he has only had to replace the engine in one Navara in the 5 years he had been working at the dealership. He also told me to tighten the hose clamps and keep an eye on the oil level. I hope this helps and is of some use rhino.
Regards Durt'e Smitty.
AnswerID: 169369

Follow Up By: bucky - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 06:45

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 06:45
Hey Durt'e Smitty
Have you ever thought of demanding that they replace the seals,,
If my Navara was using oil I would be doing that,,, after all you have rights as a consumer
Just stand your ground ,, they will buckle
I think your local Agent is full of crap ,, just like mine was,,

Apparently those seals cost Sweet F.A. and they are only about 3 hrs to replace them ,, Big expence

Cheers Mate
Bycky

FollowupID: 424739

Sponsored Links