Diesel - Three Choices

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 17:05
ThreadID: 33355 Views:2067 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
There now appear to be three choices of Diesel Fuel - Normal Diesel - Low Sulphur - and Bio Diesel. Does any one have the real facts on them and what is best for my 105 TD. I noticed that Bio was 3c per l cheaper last week. But if any doubt at all re quality or problems I would rather pay a bit more. Over 12 months, may only cost me $100 more to stay with regular diesel.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 19:15

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 19:15
Hi Trekkie,

Low sulphur diesel is undoubtedly better for your vehicle and bio-diesel has the potential to be better again. However, until bio-diesel is commercially manufactured under rigid quality control measures, the variation in bio-diesel quality is open to debate, especially from "backyard" dealers. But then again, even standard diesel has such a wide variation in quality that the current crop of available bio-diesel may be just as good.

Personally, I go out of my way to make sure I get low sulphur diesel from BP outlets only. This way I have what I believe to be the better quality diesel and should anything go wrong (bad batch of fuel etc...), I only have the one manufacturer to lay the blame at and no chance of buck passing. But when away from suburbia, occasionally I have no choice of where to purchase.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 169705

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 20:28

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 20:28
Captain,

Yer dreaming mate. 90% of all fuel in W.A. is made at the BP Refinery at Kwinana. It's all the same stuff except for a teaspoonfull of "brand additives" that only add legality to the advertising. Caltex, Shell, BP - all made at Kwinana to the same specification.

But - you do have a good pint about possibly being able to blame only one reseller should anything go wrong.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 425056

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 21:35

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 21:35
Hi Bilbo,

Your right, virtually all diesel does come from KW, but there is still some bought on the spot market from Singapore. As far as I know, BP is the only brand that doesn't do this hence my choice for BP.

But I have being doing this for years and the main reasons were the low sulphur fuel for my GU 3.0TD, back when 50ppm sulphur wasn't mandatory, plus the single reseller.

Cheers mate

Captain
FollowupID: 425072

Reply By: martz8 - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 20:04

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 20:04
Apparently bio diesel isn't too good for newer engins & can clog Fuel pumps & injectors. Previous experience from Mercedes.

My 2c worth
AnswerID: 169714

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 20:19

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 20:19
I did not know the "normal diesel" was still being sold. It is my understanding this is (or will be) illegal to sell in the near future. I am sure someone can clarify this statement.
Your newer truck would suit the low sulpher diesel no probs, only some of the older models with older seals in their pumps will have probs with the low sulpher content buggerring up these seals.
I have no knowledge or opinion of the Bio-Diesel.

Cheers Trevor.
AnswerID: 169718

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 20:37

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 20:37
Trekkie,

Your vehicle is a 100, not a 105 . The 105 series vehicles are the ones with the rigid front end, and came with either the 1Hz diesel or the 6 cyl petrol.

AFAIK all diesel sold now is low suphur. As your vehicle is a 2001 model, the low sulphur is fine. Re biodiesel, the blended stuff is probably OK, but I'm quite happy for someone else to try it :-))

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 169724

Reply By: Jack 2000 - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 21:30

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 21:30
Quick Question, what is defined as a new diesel engine. I have a 200o Jackaroo, is that considered new when talking about fuel variations. I am cosidering using some bio-diesel as there a a couple of service stations selling it near my place in perth
AnswerID: 169733

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 23:54

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 23:54
OLder diesels developed leaking pump seals from low sulphur diesel. Vehicles produced in the last 10+ years are considered unlikely to have this problem.

Not sure that anyone can say that biodiesel is fine for your Jack - I think we'll find out the answer in years to come.
FollowupID: 425090

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 00:30

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 00:30
Normal Diesel, since January 1st this year, is the 50ppm sulphur spec. per the Clean Fuels Act.
Caltex is bringing its revamped Diesel Hydrotreater at Kurnell online starting this week after a series of delays in its construction phase.

Up till now they have been buying Diesel in to maintain supply and market share during the delays.

Bio-diesel will be a viable alternative only when, as touched on in another post, the standards of testing and consistent quality control are in line with the current production systems used within traditional oil refineries. Until they can guarantee that quality week in week out, Bio-diesel will not be used in my expensive diesel motor.

AnswerID: 169758

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 01:41

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 01:41
as far as I know ALL fuels commecially produced must be to the relevant Australian Standard, especially bio.
Dont get home brew and commercial mixed up.
FollowupID: 425097

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 05:58

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 05:58
I hope that is true fisho, because one day we will need an alternative to fossil fuels. My scepticism is due to the past lack of quality control on the cheap imported fuels that were being sold thru Independent Service Stations in this country where we are all supposedly governed by relevant Australian Standards.

While ever Bio-diesel is a newish product, we all could be subjected to wrong information. Until the name of a Bio-diesel manufacturer can just jump into my mind when I think of it like Shell, BP or Caltex does now, I won't use it because I don't know enough about the quality of the product to make that judgement.

FollowupID: 425103

Follow Up By: arthurking83 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 10:17

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 10:17
Waynepd said:
"...because one day we will need an alternative to fossil fuels...."

My wife tells me, she just read a report on alternative energy (fuels and all..) and the report reckons that the real alternatives won't happen en-masse, within the next 19 years!
(Unless the Govt has some lapse in current thinking and develops a sudden bout of foresight!)

FollowupID: 425127

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 13:57

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 13:57
vegetable oil and coal dust is actually the original diesel fuel.
Not that I would suggest topping up ya late model with powdered coal-no matter how fine!
FollowupID: 425159

Reply By: Bilbo - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 10:06

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 10:06
Coogee Chemicals is (amongst other things) a fuel import company that imports fuel into W.A. via it's facility at Kwinana. Their marine jetty is about 1 km along the coast from BP's own jetty. They are a competitor to BP, but they do carry ou "mutually beneficial" swaps from time to time.

Coogee have publicly stated that they will be building a bio-d refining plant on their site at Kwinana. BP are considering their options.

It's coming guys - get used to it.

A diesel engine will run on just about anything as long it's clean and it's viscosity is such that it can be passed through a fuel injector - and it doesn't "detonate" when compressed.

Bio-d is good stuff, just ask my old Ford Mav ute that ran on doses of it fer years and is still pulling stumps out.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 169793

Follow Up By: OLDMAGPIE - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 21:41

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 21:41
their building one in darwin & using palm oil for the mix. bio-d is here watch the government, tax the $hit out of it . cheers
FollowupID: 425288

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 18:41

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 18:41
I've run 600 litires of "backyard" bio diesel since I started using it, havn't put a drop of petro diesel in it since. Runs bloody brilliantly. Better than petro diesel.

And the cost savings, well.... WOOHOO!
FollowupID: 425446

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 14:47

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 14:47
Having run my 4.2td on bio the last couple of trips I have found the following.
1st trip a 50/50 blend of bio = no diff in power or fuel consumption and vehicle ran well with those complaining from behind that the exhaust odour was making them hungry.4wd Club outing. Bio made from fish n chip oil. 550 klm,s
2nd trip 1575 klm.s Vehicle ran on 100% bio Purchased at Narrandera = no diff in fuel consumption or power. Vehicle ran well and reved out easier and still smelled like fish n chips.

Friend who makes his own bio has been using it since 2002 continously in a GQ and a GU both 4.2td vehicles the GU is a tray back.
He had a few probs with the consistency of the bio when in the learning phase but has had little trouble since and both vehicles still perform the same as mine.
The plusses for him are longer distances between oil changes as the sump oil does not get any where near as dirty as when run on normal Diesel.

In future when doing long trips I will fill my main tank with bio 90ltr and the sub with normal Diesel 85ltr. then will pump over when the main gets low thus bringing the vehicle back to normal fuel for the next fill and if bio is available will do the same again. Provided that the bio is reasonably priced.

It must be noted that the Fed Govt will still want their cut in taxes out of bio.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 169832

Reply By: Member - Darryl - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 17:48

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 17:48
For your info
The new BIO diesel ARfuels plant has cranked up in Bunbury and some Gull Servo are offering a blend of Bio and normal diesel.(Bio_20)Apparantly is some 5c a litr cheaper.Parks Gull Servo in Bunbury is selling it .

Regards

Darryl
AnswerID: 169859

Reply By: Bilbo - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 20:58

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 20:58
Those of us that know how good bio-d is, especially "home brew" really should keep quiet about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Otherwise, THEY'LL ALL WANT TO START USING IT!!!!!!!

;)

It's gotten so bad now that there's a cutthroat mentality to gettin' yer hands on USED CHIP FAT!! Beleive me, I used to get it anywhere, but now every man and his dog is after it!! They even put a chain & padlock on the 44 drum at the back of our local chippy!

Bilbo
AnswerID: 170111

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:04

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:04
Theres trucks driving round melbourne now collecting oil from Fish and chip shops, and the whole side of the truck says

"RUNNING PURELY ON BIO DIESEL"

Wonder where their plant is, and when they plan to start selling it
FollowupID: 425476

Sponsored Links