Help Needed!!!

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 17:51
ThreadID: 33356 Views:1946 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all - I am in need of some help. I am trying to fit a Milord Cargo Barrier to my 1991 HZJ 80 Series which I recently bought second hand.

Being techinically challeneged I need some help - I believe that the top brackets fit into the front screw holes for the grab handles in the back and the bottom brackets screw into the floor - is this correct?

I can get the top brackets to line up but the bottom ones don't seem to line up with any of the bolts already in the floor. Does anyone have a copy of the fitting instructions that I might be able to get a copy of - or any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Karl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 19:38

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 19:38
Hi Karl,

I installed a milford cargo barrier into my 80 series (and GU) and you have to drill all holes necessary, you do NOT use existing holes. The top holes require 3 per side, 1 large hole (approc 20mm) and 2 smaller ones each side of the larger one. A re-enforcing plate is inserted into the 20mm hole and held in place by bolts in the smaller holes. The cargo barrier then bolts centrally into the plate. Its a similar deal on the floor holes. A plastic cover then covers where the holes/plate is and finishes the job off neatly. If you use existing holes, they are not re-enforced and will simply pull out in an accident.

It sounds like you don't have the fitting kit required for installation, just the cargo barrier itself with the top and bottom stays, probably removed from another vehicle?

Unless you are prepared to drill some rather large holes into your rig, i suggest you use an experienced installer, normally they will do this for around $100. Or at least buy the proper installation kit and do it yourself, not that hard if you are handy with tools and confident enough to drill a 20mm hole in your vehicle. Its easy to overshoot when drilling the roof holes into the inner roof and you can end up with dents in your exterior roof or worse!

While paying for installation may cost a bit, having a cargo barrier properly installed is cheap insurance if you are every involved in an accident.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 169708

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 10:10

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 10:10
I've just done the ame thing with my patrol.. I agree re caution when drilling for the roof mounts but also in the case of the patrol... be very carefull about drilling downwards for the floor ones.. there is a fuel tank with only about 20mm gap directly under the floor. My attitude is dont try and be an expert on everything , let the expeerts do what they do and I'l lstick to what I do.. pay a few dollars and get it done properly.. the cost of a mistake is far greater than a few $$ shelled out to get it done right.
FollowupID: 425349

Reply By: Peter - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 19:43

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 19:43
From my experience with both a Pajero and a Patrol, some of the bolts are actually provided with the cargo barrier. In the Patrol the grab handles are removed but there is a seperate bolt under a cover between the actual grab handle bolts. The floor has a choice of several bolt holes that can be lined up. With the Pajero 4 bolts and plates were provided with the cargo barrier and were totally seperate to the bolt holes in the vehicle. Both barriers were Milfords. I'd suggest getting in touch with Milford, I'm sure you would be able to buy the correct fittings
Peter
AnswerID: 169710

Reply By: Trevor M (SA) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 20:17

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 20:17
In my Patrol the mount is between the two bolts on the grab handles with a separate plastic "flip down cover"
AnswerID: 169716

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 20:24

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 20:24
Captain is right. You need the correct mounting brackets which you don't have. Its pointless installing a safety device like this without the right stuff.

I fit almost everything myself, but I'd leave the cargo barriers to the experts.
AnswerID: 169719

Reply By: Member - Karl - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 08:57

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 08:57
Thanks all - I think I will get someone to install it properly - if anyone knows someone in the Rockingham, WA area it would be appreciated.

Karl
AnswerID: 169776

Reply By: ro-dah-o (WA) - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 23:17

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 23:17
If you find someone, let me know. A member of our club (holden) is in the same predicament. As soon as you mention the words 'second hand cargo barriers' its barlees and theres the door, and we are talking about some 'prominent' stores that deal with this sort of stuff.

Perhaps its to do with insurance and the fact that its second hand and its integrety cant be guaanteed.

Good luck, my friends about 3 months and still looking...
AnswerID: 169939

Sponsored Links