Nissan Patrol 4.5 lt Gas conversion

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 20:45
ThreadID: 33391 Views:13915 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I am considering putting my manual 4.5lt Patrol on LPG,it has done 165,000Kms.
Could anyone give me advise if having so many Kms would this cause problems when converting to gas,also if anyone has a 4.5lt on gas what do they think of the performance,economy and reliability.
If I go ahead with the conversion I will have the reserve fuel tank replaced with a 85lt fuel tank so I keep the distance range.
Any feed back is appreciated and thanks.
Peter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 1arm - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 21:42

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 21:42
Hi Peter
I have a 2000 GU 4.5 on gas which had already been converted.
I have done 60000km since i bought it for a total of 143000km.
Mine is auto
I run it occassionally on petrol and personally I cant notice any difference at all.
Travelling across the nullabor earlier this year towing a camper trailer with a roof rack as well we averaged about 26lt/100km on gas .
On the open road without trailer or roof rack this drops to about 19lt/100km.
Mine has the main tank replaced with a 120lt (88lt) and still has the 30lt petrol subtank.
Mine is an impco system and I havent had any trouble with it so far.
Evan
AnswerID: 169924

Reply By: awill4x4 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 22:24

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 22:24
I'm just waiting for the diesel doomsayers to start. ;-)

Mine's a GQ auto 4.2 efi dual fuel. (same motor just an increase in bore size) with 280,000 kms on the clock.
Last 180,000 kms on LPG no problems to speak of, mine is an Impco system as well.
Mine averages around 24 litres/100 kms with suburban driving which seems to be about average for GQ auto's on LPG.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 169931

Reply By: V8Diesel - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 10:15

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 10:15
Owned a Patrol with the TB45E motor (but not on LPG), excellent rigs but I cannot comment on that particular motor's suitability for gas.

I thought I'd pipe in here as I also have an Impco LPG system, but on 4.5 petrol Cruiser and it is far superior to the previous european setup I had on my last one.

Performance is pretty much the same. It actually seems to run better on LPG to tell you the truth.

Economy. I just got 26l/100km's towing a fully laden tandem trailer at 100km/h from Meekatharra to Perth. Had the roof racks on too which makes a diiference. Overtaking anything was a breeze.

Reliability has been excellent. The only problem I have encountered was a backfire that I caused by seeing just how low I could go idleing up a hill in low range. At about 450RPM it popped when I booted it and damaged the idle diaphram. Repaired, serviced and cleaned for $107 inc GST. Entirely my fault (but I know now).

Country trips require some planning to get the most out of your system. I cover the bulk of my driving on gas and use the LPG website to plan the autogas stops along the way. I'm about to do a trip to the northern WA goldfields for example, so I'll run on LPG from Perth to Leinster where LPG is available everywhere. When I leave the seal, gas wont be around so I make sure I leave town with a full tank of gas but only run on petrol. 500km range on juice, or with my jerries, 1,100km's. Add another 440km's if I use the gas. All in all cheaper to run than a Hilux with two or three times the go and comfort.

I miss my diesels sometimes, but in all honesty for 98% of my driving it works out that I'm miles in front. The other benefit is repair costs. If your motor ever did crap itself for whatever reason, you'd just buy a replacement for $1,500 out of the paper. Try doing a diesel rebuild, or even just a routine injectors / pump service for that. The Nissan TB45E is one of the most trouble free 4x4 motors available in Australia - petrol or diesel. Try finding one that's ever had a problem.

It all depends on what you are going to realistically use it for. Horses for courses.
AnswerID: 169988

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 12:46

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 12:46
Hi Peter

What is the quotes you have so far? I have been thinking about doing the same but not sure about the price?

AnswerID: 170013

Reply By: Emo - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 13:11

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 13:11
I'm getting my 4.5 litre 80 series converted to LPG next week (Impco system). It's going to cost $3200 but that includes $800 for a Kaymar rear wheel carrier.
I get to keep the main petrol tank and only lose the sub tank so I'll have 95 litres of petrol and 90 usable litres of LPG.
AnswerID: 170016

Sponsored Links