gu 4.2 intercooler

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 15:18
ThreadID: 3343 Views:2314 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Could some tell me aprox how many more kw and torque i would get out of a 4.2 tubo diesel gu with an after market intercooler put on.
Then i need to decide if i get a 4.2 td which are hard to find or go to a 3.0 tdi ,both quicker than my current maverick.
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 15:22

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 15:22
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/safari/turbo/gu_td42t/intercooler.html

Tough Torque:
At just 2,000 RPM, the Safari TD42-T Intercooler System produces a tidal wave of torque. A 16% increase at the wheels over the standard vehicle. If you've ever traversed long stretches of sand, you'll know what that means.

Real Power:
Installed on your TD42-T turbo diesel, Safari's Intercooler System delivers an 18% increase in power output at the wheels over the standard Patrol. That certainly takes the russian roulette out of overtaking.
AnswerID: 12974

Follow Up By: Will - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 15:33

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 15:33
If you have a look at the diagram from Safari you will see that there is a wastegate bleed off valve...
This increases the boost....

The power gains come mostly from the boost increase and not from the intercooler itself....

Real tests done by reliable sources proved that there was a very small increase in torque no increase in power by just adding an intercooler without increasing the boost with the factory turbo and all factory specs.

This was also agreed by DTS and they suggested that if not willing to increase boost then they suggested replacing the exhaust to gain a siginficant amount of power compared to the intercooler.

Will
FollowupID: 7601

Reply By: paul - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 19:17

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 19:17
For around that amount of money you could look at getting an ARB rear diff lock. Now they would make an incredible difference in a long sand stretch over almost any increase in torque - what's the use of having one wheel spin more than the other to get you somewhere.

Would like to hear people's views on that opinion.
AnswerID: 12980

Follow Up By: Piers - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 19:20

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 19:20
I had front and rear ARB air lockers fitted to the GU last year. Have been up to Fraser Island twice since. And yep, you're right - they rock in the sand! Wouldn't leave home without them... Piers
FollowupID: 7604

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 19:41

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 19:41
any significant power increase will cost money..

Some say IC's are not worth it.. But Turbos cost around the same, and everyones willing to throw them on, for around the same increase. Yes websites claim 50% more power ... but thats at the blinker stem, nowhere near the wheels!
AnswerID: 12983

Reply By: awill4x4 - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 22:13

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 22:13
One particular benefit of intercooling is the lowering of thermal stress to an engine. Lowering intake temps then allow you to increase boost pressure to a level where your exhaust gas temps were running previously. I don't know of any turbo diesel truck running on the road which isn't intercooled.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 12993

Follow Up By: Will - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:29

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:29
Andrew,

True, however the turbo units on those trucks have been tailored for an intercooler that size.
The fact is that for the cost is not worth it, if the cost was around $500 then yep go for it but to pay $2000 for less than 10% increase???
With a bigger turbo I would add a large intercooler and increase boost but by the time you do that you are up for big money and then you have temperature problems and the chain reaction goes on....

Will
FollowupID: 7623

Reply By: timbo - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:52

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:52
Thans all for your responses.
This has given me something to think about if it is worth it but at this stage i don`t thinkso.
I have to try and find a second hand one now here in vic,but they are scarce,and i will give serious thought to putting my money into diff locks
cheers TIM
AnswerID: 13023

Reply By: desert - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 13:10

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 13:10
Timbo, firstly diff locks are great but are not a panacea to solve all driving environments,Ultimately, the tyres have still to grip the ground. I have been searching for horsepower myself, I too own a GU factory turbo slug that will not get out of it's own way and I have spent some serious money thus far. I have a hill climb near home where I can check the various stages of "power plays". At a given mark, I roll on at full throttle and check the terminal speed at another mark.
Before any work the car went from 80km/h to 90km/h on the hill, 4th gear held.
After the 2.5" exhaust(no other changes) the readings were 80km/h to 96km/h.
Then tuning work, viz timing, injectors ultrasonic cleaned, alterations to boost compensator and fuel srew. Readings went 80km/h to 98km/h. Then I had a full power-up kit installed and the safety blow-off valve removed. Readings are now 80km/h to 100km/h. What is not reflected in these figures is the off-idle and low torque increases, which have improved significantly. Fuelling and power can not be increased any further due to temperature concerns and that is where the intercooler comes into the picture. A measure of reliabilty is inherent with the I/C and and further, minor boost is sometimes a bonus too. The factory turbo is now delivering air at 11.5 lbs and also much sooner than stock. The dyno figures have little meaning unless comparing car to car on the same machine, however torque has doubled over stock reading and is producing 98kw at the wheels at 120km/h.
AnswerID: 13031

Reply By: smegzy - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 02:12

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 02:12
intercoolers can be sourced for far less than 2k.. boy raqcers have been using jap import intercoolers for ages at a cost of around $150-250.. plus piping and hoses. landrover disco tdi owner overseas have been using jap import intercoolers and injector pump mods, and obtaining exellent results.. would be worth some further investigation.. there is heaps of info on the web...

check outhttp://www.autospeed.com for info on jap intercoolers and turbo boost mods... most of the info you have to pay for there is some free info on the site..
AnswerID: 13086

Sponsored Links