Road Closure In Qld

Submitted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 14:01
ThreadID: 33456 Views:1989 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just spoke to Bowthorn Station and was informed that the roads between Lawn Hill and Kingfisher will probably be closed for 4 weeks at least....
It will be approx 4 weeks till council can get in there to start work and there is huge damage to the tracks..."Huge Damage"......
So we have decided to start towards Cape York early June and work our way around to Hells Gate, Kingfisher etc in mid to late June....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 15:14

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 15:14
Have you retired or something... always travelling you lucky lucky man

Have a good trip, safe travels

Ads
AnswerID: 170233

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:19

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:19
Thanks Ads,,,,, Not retired yet..... but i can see the light....
Hope all is well with you guys.....

And for anyone else still interested,,, Cairns newspaper has claimed all nat parks on the Cape are closed indefinately till further notice...
AnswerID: 170272

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 20:35

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 20:35
Voxson when do you reckon you will be in the cape my trip starts from port douglas on june 5 .

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 425680

Follow Up By: Robbg - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:04

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:04
Hi Voxson, I've just checked the Queensland Parks and Wildlife website. It reads:

All national parks on Cape York Peninsula, north of Cooktown, are closed until further notice. Cyclone Monica has created major flooding with subsequent road damage experienced. Parks within Cape York Peninsula will open progressively once conditions improve and rangers are able to assess conditions. Contact QPWS Information Centre in Cairns on (07) 4046 6600.

It's dated 24th April. I wonder how much has changed in just over a week? I might give it another couple of weeks then call the info centre. I'll be heading north from Cairns around 8 June, after driving from Melbourne on the big long service leave trip. It would be a shame to miss the Nat Parks.
Rob.
FollowupID: 425683

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 22:12

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 22:12
Hi Eric,,, We have two cars from Adelaide and meeting Daniel (fnq trition) on the way... He is in Cairns...We were leaving on Fri 26th May but we are all in discussion at the moment about changing it to 19th June...
We also want to come back through Musgrave-Kowanyama etc,,,Hells Gate down to KFC and Lawn Hill...
We are being cautious about not having road blocks all along the way....
Long way from Adelaide to come across STOP signs...
Is your date set in concrete or are you also waiting for further info???
You would have very committed people attending wouldnt you?..

Hi Robbg,,,I wouldnt want to miss any Nat Parks,,, I was up the Cape in 2003 but had a disaster of a trip,,,, so i am shuddering at the thought of two consecutive flops..The info i got from Bowthorn Station was almost a definate month before travel can occur (restricted at that)....

FollowupID: 425700

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 06:26

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 06:26
Yes Voxson it is set in stone the departure date and a few other tour operators will have done a trip by then.
The road from musgrave to coen will be open bt then because coen has run out of fuel and it is also the tourist season and they wont let that go by to many people rely on this.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 425739

Reply By: fnq triton - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 19:40

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 19:40
hey grant, thought i'd come for a look, not bad site. can a visitor have a photo under thier name?
AnswerID: 170284

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:57

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:57
No photo... But everything else applies to you...
I hope you got the text message ok.... I feel we really need to update our plans and move trip on three weeks...
I would hate to be sitting here in Adelaide back from our trip and wishing we didnt leave so early...
FollowupID: 425697

Reply By: draff - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 07:56

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 07:56
We are also leaving Port Douglas early June - around 7th, planning on heading up the Cape then home to Vic via Lawnhill etc. I'm glad there are a few other groups still planning on travelling at that time. Our general attitude is we will probably miss some areas due to the closures and road damage but that's what makes a trip unique and gives us an excuse to come back!!

AnswerID: 170360

Sponsored Links