tirfor maintenance

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 19:45
ThreadID: 3346 Views:3940 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Had the enjoyment(?), of recovering my mates rodeo up a very steep hill at landcruiser park on the weekend. Apart from alot of sweat and hard work it was floorless. However the wire rope became very dirty throughout the recovery. Whilst coiling the rope back on the holder I had my mate holding a towel around the rope to try and clean it. It was only half successful at best. Do others take particular care in cleaning the rope?, or doesnt it matter. Also, I'm concerned the tirfor consumed some of this dirt throughout recovery, does this now need to be cleaned? Thanks, Andrew.

P.S They had the xtreme winch challenge that weekend, geez don't those boys go nuts! We were sure wishing we had there set ups earlier in the day!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev. - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 20:03

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 20:03
Recovering your mate's Rodeo !

You must be a good mate as i would of made him man the winch.
Hard work hey,

Sorry, not sure about the cable thing.

Kev.
AnswerID: 12989

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 17:06

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 17:06
Kev, I just had to get it started, as my mate didnt wont to get out and take his foot of the brake. Don't worry I certainly had my share of liquid refreshments while watching him do most of it!
FollowupID: 7637

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 07:50

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 07:50
Andrew, yes good idea to give it a clean so it is ready for next time.

Allow the dirt to dry and then brush of with a stiff brush, the old scrubbing brush is great for this, do not apply any oil etc on the cable as this will pick up more dust and dirt.(leave cable clean and dry)

With the tirfor lay it on its side with the bolts faceing up and carefully undo them and seperate the two halves, clean out all dirt and now you can grease parts that have been greased before, reassemble and its right for another recovery of that Rodeo.
Tony
AnswerID: 13007

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 17:01

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 17:01
Cheers Tony, I would have been reluctant to dismantle the tirfor but I'm sure its easy. Andrew..
FollowupID: 7635

Reply By: desert - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 13:45

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 13:45
What Tony said was essentially correct, Andrew. However, I also like to add that you must be careful not to let any grease come into contact with the mechanical jaws that grip the wire rope, this will lead to possible slippage and damage to the jaws and rope. The rope can be lubricated (after cleaning) with a spray pack like WD40 and stored away in a calico bag or similar that will breath.
AnswerID: 13038

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 17:03

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 17:03
I will clean my rope, however probably wont wd40 it. To greasy. And yes certainly wont lube the jaws. Andrew.
FollowupID: 7636

Reply By: BM - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 18:49

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 18:49
From the Tirfor Manual- (Presuming that you have a t516)

"ensure that the machine is well lubricated by applying a quantity of oil (type SAE 90-120) onto the internal mechanism through the special lubrication holes..... NB: Excess lubrication cannot cause the machine or wire rope to slip. Goes on further to say "Never use grease or oil containing graphite additives or molybdenum disulphide. To clean the machine allow to soak in a bath some proprietary cleansing fluid"

hope this helps,

haven't had to clean mine yet...

Cheers,

Brendan
AnswerID: 13133

Sponsored Links