snorkel for a Nissan Terrano II?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:12
ThreadID: 33465 Views:8688 Replies:6 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
We want to put a snorkel on a 1998 Nissan Terrano II, has anyone done it? They are not available as a standard item.

I have spoken with Shaker regarding his (great advice) and a guy from TJM (who has a Terrano II - he said he would not do it again - too much hassle). Just wondering if anyone else has done it.

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hoyks - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:25

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:25
I have some pictures from a guy in Darwin that had one done. The snorkel is off a '98 on Courier/Bravo and there are a few others that go close. Under the bonnet there is a bit of stuffing around as you have to mill some of the skin at the side of the engine bay to line up to where the snorkel plumbing comes through the wheel arch. The filter can has to be modded a bit to accept the air duct too.

If you send us your Email I can forward them on if you like.

I intend to wack one on mine in the next few months so I can tell you just how much fun it is.
AnswerID: 170274

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:46

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:46
Thats right they use the Courier?Bravo one but are a bitch to put on. A friend in Yeppoon had his fitted by some people in Rocky and he told me he would not do another, just after he fitted my snorkel to my MU which took him 5 hours and it was a real pain (I watched him) so hope it all works out (just dont tell them u know it a hard job ha ha).
Cheers Bruce.
FollowupID: 425652

Follow Up By: terrano tripper - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 19:02

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 19:02
Would appreciate any photos you have.

Please send them to wspear@bigpond.net.au

We also want to install dual batteries, so space is a premium in the engine bay.
FollowupID: 425659

Reply By: Member - Geordie C (WA) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:26

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:26
I have made one for my Terrano 1 out of stainless tubing with the TJM Airtech snorkel top/air ram. It works well. Was a bit of messing around to get the design sorted before I cut a hole in the guard.
Geordie
AnswerID: 170275

Follow Up By: Member - Geordie C (WA) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:43

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:43
Here is a photo of the Terrano
!MPG:3!
FollowupID: 425648

Follow Up By: terrano tripper - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 19:11

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 19:11
We also had thoughts on a design like this.

I would appreciate any photos you have of connection in the engine bay.

We thought that by coming in from the rear it would leave more space for the second battery.
FollowupID: 425662

Follow Up By: Member - Geordie C (WA) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 19:35

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 19:35
I have just posted a few photos under my rig & profile, photo folio.

The pipe through the guard is a 3" flexible air intake hose from an auto parts shop. There was quite a bit of room in the mudguard so I did not see any need for the snorkel to run along the outside of the guard up to the front before entering.

I cut a hole in the inner guard with a 4" holesaw. First you have to remove the plastic trims under the mud guard to carefully check where the inner wiring harness and other vital bitts go. The lower end of the snorkel is clamped to a flat bracket inside the guard with a strong hose clamp. I made a stainless bracket at the top to fit down the door gap and onto the window trim bolts on the pillar.

Inside the engine bay the pipe fitts straight onto the original airbox hose. In the photos it is gaffa taped on ( yes tacky I know) but I have since found a nice cheap silicone hose reducer from a Repo auto parts shop and clamped it on. There are lotts of good bitts for air intake plumbing that the boy racers use on their turbo toy cars. (although hard to find in non bright colours).

This has left enough room for me to also fit a dual battery and keep everything else where it was.

Let me know if you want more detailed description via email.
Cheers
Geordie
FollowupID: 425667

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 20:02

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 20:02
Nice job Geordie!!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 425676

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 01:59

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 01:59
Looks good Geordie. would you answer some questions please? I'm thinking of having a custom snorkel bent for my GQ. i notice there is only 1 bend in the pipe, how is the straight pipe conected to the bent one?

i am thinking of having about 4 bends in mine so it fits comfortably with the unusual GQ flared guards, can go around the electric ariel and run up in front the windscreen pillar parallel.

what made you come up with this design rather than others? what other designs did you consider and what was wrong with them? can you foresee any problems with my ideas?

Thank you

Barnesy
FollowupID: 425736

Follow Up By: Member - Geordie C (WA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:14

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:14
Hi Barnesy,
the bend of the snorkel is a 3" mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust tube, TIG welded to the straight tube. This was high grade polished exhaust pipe tube so there was less problems with surface rust than with standard (not polished) SS exhaust tube which tends to be a lower grade stainless. Even if you polish it it will get surface rust.

The mandrel bend did have one end looking better than the other with manufacturing clamp marks on one side of the bend. So I had the welder cut off the marked bit and weld so the best bit of pipe was visible and the other end is inside the guard. I sanded down the weld and polished it on a buffer before installing the pipe. I also had to trim down the Airteck snorkel head so it would clamp onto the 3" tube.

My Terrano is a Jap "Grey Import" and nobody wanted to fit a snorkel to it so I made one.

The design was to be as simple and neat as possible so as little of the snorkel was in my field of view from the drivers seat. When I found there was just enough room for a tube inside the guard I decided to cut through the bulge of the guard and not run along the outside. This saved on extra bends and welding. I was also able to get the angle exactly right by rotating the tube as I installed it through the guard. The SS tube and one bend cost me $85 and a few beers for thew welding. The snorhel air ram from a GU Patrol cost $105 but does not need another bend at the top like the cheaper heads do and it is more streamlined. The flex pipe inside the guard cost $35 and I did the rest. Add some for beers, bandaids, and a holesaw.

I have seen several other stainless snorkels on GQs that run along the outside of the guard and they look qouit good on a big vehicle but you need more bends and to get the welding and brackets at exactly the right angle.

Geordie
FollowupID: 425814

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 17:31

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 17:31
Thanks Geordie.

Your polished SS looks the part. I will probably end up painting mine, easier. I would be happy if mine ends up looking like this but it will be more fiddly than yours i think. I have to run the pipe a little way along the guard, if i go straight down from the pillar it bangs into the electric ariel inside the guard, meaning one more bend. I'm not relocating the ariel. i will use as much tubing inside the guard as possible. i could get away with fewer bends but that would leave a big gap between front guard and pillar, the GQ doesnt need more wind noise.

Have found an exhaust shop willing to do it but i hope its a good job and doesn't end up costing more than a snorkel off the shelf.

Thanks

Barnesy
FollowupID: 425893

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:08

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:08
Guys,
I have a friend of mine who's got an airtech snorkle fitted to his terrano 1. It was off the Navara I believe. Not sure how different the set up is between terrano 1 and 11 but I can find out which model snorkle he's got.

R.
FollowupID: 426043

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:50

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:50
Would it have been easier to have bought a car with one as standard .
Oh what a feelin'
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 170378

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:52

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:52
As hoyks said it is a '98 on Courier or Bravo snorkel, for some reason I was told by TJM to use the Courier model as there is a slight difference.
Did I send you photos before? If not I would be happy to send you shots of both external & internal installations, also of the secong battery in situ.
To be quite honest the install was simple & painless, only took a few hours, the biggest problem being the stress of holding a spinning 3.5" hole saw beside the front guard!!
AnswerID: 170379

Follow Up By: terrano tripper - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 11:26

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 11:26
Thanks Shaker you have sent us photos.

We are going to have a go at installing it. A friend is pretty handy with car repairs and modifications and is happy to have a go.

Will let you know how we go.
FollowupID: 426312

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:23

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:23
AnswerID: 170567

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:26

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:26
FollowupID: 425987

Follow Up By: Member - Geordie C (WA) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 13:10

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 13:10
Looks like a pretty good fit.
I like the airtech snorkels they suit newer model vehicles well and dont stick up in the air like the older style do.
FollowupID: 426061

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 16:29

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 16:29
Excuse the dirt, just back from a trip when photographed, also excuse the welding at the airbox mod, very ordinary steel.

FollowupID: 426109

Follow Up By: Member - Geordie C (WA) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 13:09

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 13:09
Shaker
Nice setup, I like the look of your Terrano 2 (who said they are ugly). Seems like it has all the stuff I have been trying to put on my old Terrano for years.

How does it go sucking fuel through both the standard and CAV fuel filters in line. Which one is first.
Geordie
FollowupID: 426333

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 14:49

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 14:49
The CAV filter/water trap is first, & it has no problems sucking fuel through.
Funny people say that T2s are ugly or small, but they are within mms of being exactly the same measurements as the similar year Prados.
FollowupID: 426346

Follow Up By: Member - Geordie C (WA) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 15:27

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 15:27
Thanks Shaker,
I got a CAV filter and trap quite a while ago but have not got around to fitting it. I might try the same location as yours.

Regarding the Terrano 2, I think there is a lot of marketing in making one vehicle more desirable than another and this flows on to people having to back up their decision to buy one over the other. They often bag the other vehicles. The Terrano 2 must be pretty good if it only gets criticised for looks. It looks a heap better than some other mid size 4x4s. It is probably has more inside space than my older Terrano.

Geordie
FollowupID: 426356

Reply By: terrano tripper - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 11:30

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 11:30
Thanks for the advice and photos guys. As Shaker said I think the stress will be in cutting the guard.

Nice to see there a few Terrano's out there.
AnswerID: 170895

Follow Up By: Member - Geordie C (WA) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 12:33

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 12:33
What I did to reduce the stress and avoid damaging the guard.

1. have several cold beers standing by for immediate use after the hole is cut.

2. Use plenty of masking tape or gaffer tape to cover the area around the hole. That way if you slip it will help prevent scratches in the paint. I also taped thin cardboard over the top of the guard in the vulnerable areas.

3. I made up a template that I used to transfer the exact hole location on to the taped area. I marked the hole and the centre point on to the taped area.

4. Drill a pilot hole and check under the guard for anything that might be at risk when the saw comes through. I had to pull the wiring harness out of the way and protect it with a sheet of ply.

5. cut very gently (light pressure) so the hole saw is less likely to grab.

If in doubt have a practice on your mates car first. Or cut a hole in a bit of scrap tin to see what will happen.

6. I used a 'flap disc' sanding bit (50 mm dia drum shaped with 160 grit sand paper flaps) in a hand drill to smooth out the edges of the hole while the tape was still on the painted area.

When you have cut the hole, stop and have a good look at how it all will fit while the tape is still on. Dont do what I did and remove all the tape then scratch the guard first with the file and again with the snorkel while trying toi get it lined up (after a few beers).

Have fun
Geordie
FollowupID: 426330

Sponsored Links