fuel

Submitted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 20:37
ThreadID: 33471 Views:2107 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all,
Could any-one on this Forum explain to me whether there is any differance in fuel sold by Independent Servo's eg. Pacific, United and the numerous other independents compared to the big oil Company owned ones eg BP. Caltex, Shell, Mobil and Ampol.I have always been a bit wary of buying off any-one but the main players as there are a lot of stories floating around out there about the cheaper one,s.After watching TDT on Chanel 7 on Frid & Mon nite when they done a deal with some Independents by lowering the price by about 10cents a Litre over the week-end in the Capital Cities,(only on Petrol i believe) and they had Vehicles lined up for hundreds of metres and there turnovers at some Servos increased by 2-3 hundred%. There can,t be too much wrong with there fuel or there would be too many complaints.Pity it didn,t include Diesel and happen out in the country where fuel is a lot more expensive.
DUKE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:09

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:09
All fuel comes from the major refinery’s owned by BP, Mobil, Shell, AMPOL, Caltex, Gull depending on where you are.

I think the issue lays in the independent may not have as much turnover so the fuel can be older, but ULP is garneted for 1 year when stored correctly anyway, So that leaves Dirty storage tanks+ condensation and perhaps the odd dodgy operator who is adding thinners and what not to his supply.

Saying that we had an old Tractor at a Hobby farm that has been left sitting for 6-8mothes somtimes without use with very little fuel left in it and that fires up no worries when the key is turned add to that it’s only had 1 oil change in the last 8 years and still runs sweet. It’s a bit sad I know, Currently trying to get hold of it for a little reiteration project, It’s a Henry Ferguson, Wicked piece of machinery

AnswerID: 170299

Follow Up By: Laura B - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:32

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:32
I have hard that one certain company - not overly a major one but is big - orders their fuel from overseas.....

Ampol is Caltex - Caltex bought them out 8 yrs ago and only keep a fw smaller servo's going but even then there are diminishing!

Laura B
FollowupID: 426075

Follow Up By: Exploder - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:08

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:08
Ampol is Caltex>True forgot about that.
FollowupID: 426155

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:18

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:18
Duke,

I generally use Shell or United (ULP) around home purely from a convenience factor. When I've used United (even their 10% Ethanol blend) I have'nt noticed any difference in the performance or economy of the vehicle compared to the Shell product. Don't know about the long run but how long is the long run :))))

Had to put the last part in to placate the usual doomsayers that swoop on this sort of thing.

Regards
AnswerID: 170300

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:26

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:26
People will tell you yes but its crap IMO. Just like milk from a cow .
AnswerID: 170302

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 22:15

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 22:15
Hi Duke,

Not sure about other startes, but in WA about 90% comes from the BP refinery. The remaining fuel is usually imported and has a higher risk level of contamination. Singapore is normally where this fuel is from, and it has to then be put in sea tankers before transported down under. Every transfer point is another potential contamination point, but the risk is very small. More likely to get contamination from the servo's tanks themsleves.

But the quality of the fuel can vary. While foreign fuel should always meet AUS standards, local refined fuel normally exceeds the standards by a bigger margin.

However, I personally stick to one brand, BP, mainly so that if I do ever have a fuel quality issue I do not have to prove where that batch of fuel was from.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 170314

Reply By: fisho64 - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 22:30

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 22:30
It is funny how you can encounter a batch of people on the one hand who are adamant that aus fuel is better cos it is made here and a bunch who say only euro diesel is any good.
The fuel that originates from Singapore feeds a huge proportion of Asia, dozens of times more vehicles than there are in Australia, with no problem.
The diesel here is what is intended for the vehicles RELEASED HERE BY THE MANUFACTURERS.
While there are likely differences in the fuel supplied by the various outlets, I am certain anyone would be living in fairyland if they think it is better cos it costs more.
Meaning dearer isnt necessarily better, in fact the sale price has no relationship whatsoever to the quality.
I have almost exclusively used GULL for years other than a short period of idiocy buying supermarket fuel. Now I realize what that will mean in the long run if Independants are allowed to die.
AnswerID: 170320

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:12

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:12
"dearer isnt necessarily better"

Wash your mouth out with soap Fisho. You have blasphemed against the almighty Yogwypf (You only get what you pay for) god. :)))))

Regards
FollowupID: 425714

Follow Up By: Laura B - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:35

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:35
Im glad yourve had no prob with the ethanol level Gramps!

Hey Fisho ,The price doesnt have anything to do with wuality but where you buy the fuel from certainly does!!

Laura B
FollowupID: 426076

Reply By: RobEG - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:19

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:19
It probably is OK although the fancy filters on my boat take a lot of crap and water out of the fuel. But one day over a few coldies a mate from EPA told of a verge large tanker of thinners that had been offloaded in Brissy and we got to wondering just how much a panel beater could use. Some of the more cynical suggested this (excise free) material could be cut back into petrol because we could think of no other use for such a huge amount.
AnswerID: 170337

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 21:15

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 21:15
What sort of thinners?
Thinners is a general term that is as specific as "fuel" which could be petrol, diesel, bio, LPG, CNG, bunker oil, Avgas, Avtur, jet A1, hydrogen, wood, paper etc etc etc.
And it makes me think that if your "mate from the EPA" can only describe it as "thinners", then he has no bloody idea what it is and is talking rubbish?
I certainly couldnt imagine a "chemist" or "inspector" viewing an MSDS sheet of the contents and only descibing it as thinners?
Maybe he is only a cleaner for the EPA and this is how conspiracy theories start??
FollowupID: 426193

Reply By: Laura B - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:34

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:34
as an ex-employee of a major company can i tell you that we took out fuel sample test on the local independants and found that the next best fuel quality had an ethanol reading of 14.7%..the highest being 19.8%.........

you get what you pay for!!

I endorse good fuel!!!

Laura B
AnswerID: 170339

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 00:01

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 00:01
S... I hope it wasnt diesel you were testing!
FollowupID: 425731

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 22:41

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 22:41
What's the problem with the Ethanol content Laura?
FollowupID: 425974

Follow Up By: Laura B - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:30

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:30
it thins the petrol out making it "watery".....most cars dealing with 10%ethanol and can handle it but thats about it. When there is more ethanol/alcohol things start to rust...anything from fuel pumps to engines with everything in between.....

Diesel can be worse Fisho! It has the potential for more additives and more "dirt"....i never thought of diesel being a culprit for ethanol but its worse.

over seas the ethanol content can be as high as 40% like in germany, but their petrol is a different mix/ refined differently and so it can take it...i have heard that their engines are made differently so they can take it too but im not totally sure on that one...

Laura B
FollowupID: 426074

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:54

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:54
otherwise known as Fear Uncertainty and Doubt but not facts.

Suggest sites like this to see the other side: Friends of Ethanol.
FollowupID: 426082

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:16

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:16
I know a few years ago that Woolies bought thier fuel in Singapore and shipped it in. There has been an excess of petrol out of China for a few years since they mainly use diesel, and of course it is to a Chinese standard.
I tried it and had problems with it.
A few friends had injectors and other parts of the petrol injection system play up with the Woolies fuel.
In 2005 the aussie government decided to bring in regulations on specification for fuel. Some on this forum may have more information.
Woolies complained that they couldn't meet the new requirements and had the standard delayed until late 2005 or there abouts.
They teamed up with Caltex meanwhile.
The standards a couple of years ago were very open from what I understand, octane rating and a couple of other things, but not very specific.
Any body want to add more information.
AnswerID: 170361

Follow Up By: Laura B - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:40

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:40
They stillship it in from what the guys have said at work, They just refine it a little more to suit our engines and add he ethanol in for a "freebie".....from the words of a local woolies caltex worker - not me - he was going to take the servo to court for misleading info - had signs saying there was only 10% ethanol but did a test himself - had it sent off to lab - there was actually 18%.
inlaws use woolies and never had a prob......mum and dad had injectors the lots go...from 14% ethanol...

the 10% is not law yet - if it was i can name atleast 3 local servos in trouble.

octane rating depends on your car......heaos of info...

Laura B
FollowupID: 426077

Reply By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:50

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:50
Hi All,
Thanks for all your thoughts on my question, i suppose it's like most things in life you don't know until you try it. The only sure way to find out would be to take a sample every time one filled there vehicle with fuel.Personally i have always believed that you get what you pay for but in this day and age who knows?.
Thanks again for the interesting replies.
DUKE
AnswerID: 170532

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 16:34

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 16:34
Shell posts $1.3 billion profit

Energy giant Shell says it expects strong demand for gas to continue in 2006 after announcing a strong profit for last year on the back of high commodity prices.

The Shell companies of Australia today posted a profit before interest and tax of $1.27 billion for 2005, up from $751.50 million in 2004.

Shell said the jump in profit was the result of strong operation performances in both its upstream and downstream businesses as well as a turnaround in its refining business.

"Once again, it's our upstream business that is the major contributor to our profitability in Australia," Shell chairman Russell Caplan said.

"Shell's upstream business benefited from record (liquefied natural gas) production and sales volumes in a relatively strong market."

He said he was optimistic about new gas discoveries in the offshore northwest areas of Western Australia.

The upstream business posted a profit of $968 million, up from $708 million in 2004.

The downstream business posted a big improvement on 2004's $43.5 million, growing profit to $300 million.

Mr Caplan said the Clyde and Geelong refineries had turned around their previous performances.

He said he expected the demand for gas would continue to grow in the future.

"We anticipate strong growth in gas demand and our upstream business in Australia is well placed to supply to this expanding market," he said.

Shell is a partner in the North West Shelf resource joint venture and also distributes fuel throughout Australia.

AnswerID: 173998

Sponsored Links