100 series diff question?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:43
ThreadID: 33478 Views:8480 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I know this type of topic has been covered numberous times but I cant seem to find just what i am after. So here goes.

1. I have a 4/2002 GXL 100 series cruiser (live axle not IFS) and I cannot seem to find out if it has a limited slip rear diff. Does anyone know how to tell besides following toyotas advice of looking for a sticker?
I cannot remember if, when jacked up, a LSD will have both rear wheels turning in the same direction or in opposite directions?

2. What type of difflocks would be recommended?
Front and rear or just rear?
Automatic or manual ( arb air lock)?
What is the better automatic lock, Detroit? Lokka?
Are there any other manual type lock besides ARB?

3. I have read that the cruiser LSD's are not the best. Can anyone elaborate, is it only certain models or can the standard LSD be modified to perform better without a lock?

I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:57

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:57
Hi Falcon

To find if you have LSD still in good condition, jack up the rear wheels, both at the same time and turn them, if good, they should both turn in the same directions. Opposite directions would indicate an open diff or crook LSD

Locker would dependon your use

If you have a working LSD, maybe a front would be the way to go to start with, if you can afford both, and need them, do both

Maybe an air locker in the front and a automatic in the rear, if you were doing both, might save you if the compresser of something fails

I believe the lockrite locker is meant ot be good, others with let you know more

TJM also do an air locker, maybe others

You could also weld the diffs, not recommended but does answer your question on other mods.

Front Diffs may be a weakness if having a rough life, so would start by doing it

I am sure others can help more

cheers

Ads

AnswerID: 170344

Reply By: fisho64 - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 00:54

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 00:54
Im not a diff expert but I thought you wouldnt get any grip out of an LSD on blocks unless there was torque/speed differential going thru the diff?
Correct me if Im wrong?
AnswerID: 170350

Reply By: HJ60-2H - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 06:56

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 06:56
Chassis number tells you if a LSD is factory fitted.
AnswerID: 170355

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:41

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:41
Thery all have rear LSD (unless fitted with traction control). Usually a sticker next to the filler plug that says LSD oil only.

Testing LSD function is complicated on the later Toyotas. My recollection is that you need to jack one wheel, support the axle on a stand, apply some brake and at the same time see if it wants to drive off that stand. Went thru that stuff with Toyota a few years back. Simply turning a wheel won't tell you that its got an LSD.

The factory LSDs work a bit, but not as much as the Patrols.

I believe TJM are now marketing an alternative to the ARB air locker, but I know no more.
AnswerID: 170373

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:12

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:12
Almost, this is how you do it, unless Toyota is just being different.

One wheel off the ground, one wheel on, attach a centring plate to the wheel nuts, (has like a bolt in the middle of it that is inline with the axle) Toque wrench set to the LSD Pre load and attached to the centring plate turn the wheel with the Toque wrench it should click at the set load before the tyre starts to rotate.

If the tyre rotates and the Torque wrench doesn’t click then the LSD is no longer 100%.
FollowupID: 425921

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:15

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:15
Sorry, obversely you are trying to turn the wheel that is in the air with the toque wrench and not the one on the ground.
FollowupID: 425922

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:02

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:02
Hi exploder,

The method you describe is the method that I also thought correct, until a Toyota mechanic corrected me. So although I'm a bit hazy on it, the Toyota method involves what I described.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 425932

Reply By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:10

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:10
I used to run a Detriot 'No-Spin' in the rear of my 75 series tray back. Worked extremely well but there is a trade off in road manners which would be shame on such a well behaved vehicle as the 105. Air locker would be the go I'd say but keep in mind you then lose the benefit of an LSD for most of your driving.

I have heard that Toyota LSD's can be made to perform quite well with some better bits and pices and a knowledgable hand on the spanners.

There's a code on the build plate. Mine says H151F - that's the heavy duty 5 speed manual gearbox. The code next to it says A04B which I'd assume would refer to either the diffs or transfer case. I'll have a sniff a round and see if I can track down a Toyota decoder manual.
AnswerID: 170383

Reply By: OMN - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:18

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:18
I have a 2004 Toyota so it may be different but one way to test out whether your LSD if you have one is actually any good this test should work.

Althgouh it says it ahs an LSD i ahve to say the one in the Toyota is very loose and when you want it going up steep offroad stuff it is about as effective as an open diff.

I hate to admit the Patrol has a decent LSD in it the Toyota i think most people would agree does not.

I am currently looking at Lockers fro mine and most people i ahve spoken to at different stores have strongly recommend i get an air operated type. Their reasonign for this is that nearly 90% of my driving is on bitumen and thus having the abiltiy to completely turn off the lockers is gogin to be more important. The Detroits and Lokka and othr brands are always effectively on and supposedly do changign the driving characteristics of the car and can make sounds and other things.

The people i spoke to said if my ratio of non bitumen to bitumen was significantly different they would perhaps have suggested a permanent operating locker in the rear and an air locker in the front.

As my car is the IFS model getting lockers of some sort is more pressign for me than yourslef as the front end lifts far more easily than the live axle and thus when trying to get up some tracks i am effectively driving a 1 wheel drive rather than a 4 wheel drive.

LAstly, i was reading an article in one of the latest 4WD Monthly mags where they showed takign an LSD out of a Pajero, i thik, and puttign in shims and significantly incresing the lock up effects of the existing LSD, from memory they cranked it up a long way and it cost all of about $200. I ahven't looked at this yet but was thignking about whether it can be done for the standard Toyota LSD and thus save close to $1,600 - $1,800 dependign on model and air compressor requiremetns etc and be used all the time.

If you do check out this option let us know will you.

Hope this helps somewhat.
AnswerID: 170386

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:37

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:37
Gday
Leave the rear as is, the lsd does do better than the open front diff....if you can afford two lockers, do both, but the front will give you two benefits....it strengthens the gears that are renowned for breaking on the 100...and it allows positive drive to both front wheels, so the car climbs over obsticles better....you will lift a front wheel b4 a rear, so the loka in the front makes sense....Lastly, you probably need to grease the c/v's anyway....so you get the whole front diff serviced with the loka install.
There is only one choice in lockers....ARB...you get to choose whether you lock or open it, plus u get a free compresser...
I have two, and the cruiser is unstoppable
Andrew
AnswerID: 170515

Reply By: OMN - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 13:28

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 13:28
Andrew,

Are you runnign ARB diff locks front and rear in your cruiser and are you an IFS model?

Thanks in advacne as am currently debatign lockers for mine as well.

Mark
AnswerID: 170629

Sponsored Links