Cobra stn WA

Submitted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 07:47
ThreadID: 33481 Views:1861 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Is camping available at Cobra?Any info appreciated guys.Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:49

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:49
It seems like it is but to be sure there is a phone number 08 99430565
AnswerID: 170366

Reply By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:52

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:52
Believe so. Was up at Mt Augustus a few weeks back but didn't actually drive in to Cobra. The rains had damaged a lot infratstructure up that way, but repairs were all happening fast due to tourist season starting. Roads should be in A1 condition now with all the grader crews around the joint.

On a historical note, did some exploration work on Cobra years ago when it was owned by Seventh Day Adventists. The story was the station had a hotel licence and when they took it over they not only shut the bar down, they refused to transfer the liquor licence to anyone else on religious grounds so they became ostracised by the locals. Even the postie (semi-trailer) black-banned them for a while. They were always OK to me.

I think it may in CALM's hands now.
AnswerID: 170367

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:04

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:04
yeah i remember stopping there one night 'bout ten yrs ago. they put the wife and me in separate single beds and our dinner was served at a card table while the owners dined next to us at a big table. maybe they had only single beds and maybe they thought visitors want to keep to themselves? weird vibe though.
FollowupID: 425766

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:51

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:51
hahahahaha;-)))) That's the one!

They used to drive all the way to PERTH (!!!!) to buy food in an old 5 tonne truck as the had some beef with the good folk of Carnarvon. It wasn't for a holiday or anything like that, they'd get there, load up up and be back on the road again. It always struck me as extremely strange. Surely you'd go Meeka or Mullewa, even Geraldton???? I mean it wasn't as if they'd only eat beluga caviar harvested on the full moon and drink wintage Veuve Cliquot. More your basic meat and potatoes fare. Burringurrah Aboriginal Community sells all that stuff and it's only down the road. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.........each to his own. Whatever floats your boat.

FollowupID: 425777

Follow Up By: RedGibber - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:30

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:30
I lived/worked in Carnarvon during the 70s/80s. I can remember going up to Cobra in the early 80s - we did the inaugural Carnarvon-Mt. Augustus bike run ...the bar was right alongside the road and as I recall I attempted to chat up the dollybird behind the bar, without much success!! And yes, she was a "cutie"!!

The "king browns" (Emu Bitter 750ml bottles) went down rather well that night, and as the rest of our crew was leaving the bar, I jumped onto the back of the Hilux tailgate...just as the driver was leaving!!! Well you can imagine the outcome!!!

Fortunately no lasting damage occurred, but riding a dirt bike ~500kms back to Carnarvon next morning with a raging hangover was no walk in the park, let me tell you!!

Cheers
Andy
FollowupID: 425942

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 07:09

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 07:09
eh V8,

I got the old photo album out last night and found a picture the Wife had taken of me walking into the Cobra office, captioned "Jeremy off to pay for our one night (was going to be two) and to return with a bag full of brochures with a Seventh Day Adventist thing thrown in." LOL !
FollowupID: 426000

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 09:43

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 09:43
bushfix, I hope you took careful note of the brochure and the reason you left early was to spread the good word amongst the drunken heathens of the Upper Gascoyne.;-))) It's a shame really. It would have been a cracker of a pub.

Anyway, they were cool - just a bit spooky. Good luck to 'em.
FollowupID: 426023

Reply By: Eric M - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 22:31

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 22:31
I was there a year ago and sites were available for caravans and tents. I should have bought my fuel there as it was 20cents a litre dearer at Mt Augustus.
AnswerID: 170558

Reply By: greenextreme - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 11:24

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 11:24
Uncle,

We visited Cobra last September.

It is CALM run with a live-in caretaker. Overnight camping is possible but only at the station (alongside a 6-cylinder generator!!). Petrol / diesel was much cheaper than at Mt Augustus. Some basic food / provisions were also available.

In hindsight we should have camped alongside the Lyons River that can be accessed by a track 1.0k east of the Station (opposite the airstrip), leading down to several spots along the river (nice views, wildflowers, cockatoos, swimming, fishing, easy access). CALM do not allow camping at the River so if you prefer river camping suggest you approach without alerting the Caretaker. Enjoy.

greenextreme
AnswerID: 170611

Reply By: Member - Howard P (WA) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 21:46

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 21:46
Hi
We were at Cobra Station last October and you could camp there, but he was talking about doing up the camping area.
We got our fuel at the Burringurah Aboriginal Community about 50kms east of Mt Augustus and it was 30c/litre cheaper than Mt Augustus. Well worth the trip just to get fuel! The shop at the Community was fantastic (admittedly the delivery truck had just been) and we managed to stock up with fresh milk, bread and veges which are not available at Mt Augustus.
Have a great trip.
Howard and Diana
AnswerID: 170774

Sponsored Links