Craigs Hut.

Submitted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:59
ThreadID: 33485 Views:2543 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
The new car park is finished at Craigs Hut.

I don't think it is any better, in fact i think that it is worse.

Where they have placed some of the big rocks in very hard to get around. It will not be long before they are pushed out of the way because vehicles can not get around them. The people who design the car park had no idea what the turning circle is like on a 4WD.

The work that was done early this year around the hut was to make it wheel chair accessible. I don't have a problem with that but there is no wheel chair access from the car park. Now there is a rock and earth wall around the car park with 4 or 5 steeps from the car park to the path that goes to the hut.

It was better left the way it was.

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 11:12

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 11:12
Why are disabled facilities always designed by able bodied people ? This was brought home to me a couple of years ago when I broke an ankle. (I tell people I was skydiving .....yeah, right)
No disabled access to the xray place (nurse said hop up on the bed ..I had to point out that I couldn't ), the hospital emergency entrance was difficult to get into etc etc.
I tell ya, having to use those stick things to get around at my age wasn't easy :)
I now look at disabled access in a different light.
I think that anyone designing disabled access to anything should be disabled...so to speak....
AnswerID: 170398

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:07

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:07
Never actually been there, whats the drive like..? Sounds like a tight car park.! What's a good way to spend a day and Craig's hut..?
AnswerID: 170435

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:54

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:54
Hi TerraFirma,

I was there on Monday evening and again Tuesday morning.

The car park layout is not that dramatic - I'd beg to differ with Wayne (sawry Wayne). It is big and a little ugly at present, but at least it is down low and sort of hidden (you can see I'm a photographer) and my 100 Series had no problem maneuvering at all - didn't even dream it was a problem.

The disabled access would be a bit of an issue, but probably you could take a wheelchair off the track with minimal effort - someone had driven a vehicle over then embankment and parked by the little information booth they have built, and I would think that a wheelchair could make it through too.

I do sense that the open drains they have built will become mudholes quite quickly, but for now, there has been insufficient water to test this.

I would guess the car park is not finished. There are two paved pads which appear quite out of place, but which I guess will have picnic tables put on them soon. Hopefully they bolt them down instead of the screws that the dunny is screwed down with.

The Circuit Tk is pretty good - just some bad corrugations in places. The Mt Stirling - Merrijig road is undergoing road works which were muddy as - I suspect these will be going on until the snow season. The Craig's Hut Track is not too challenging - just a little muddy in places.

See my separate post about Monument Tk and King Hut Tk if you intend heading down them (or up them).

Place is a picture.

What I really wish is that we could fix up the roof so that it doesn't look like a film set ;-) It needs some new logs or bark or whatever was used. Does anyone know anyone involved in building it or repairing it - I think a 4WD club - perhaps Mansfield - was involved.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 425853

Reply By: jaksun - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 22:54

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 22:54
When does Maccas open?
AnswerID: 170563

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:09

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:09
yawn
FollowupID: 425984

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:44

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:44
actually KFC won the tender.
FollowupID: 425990

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:44

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:44
Why are they putting wheelchair access in places like this? FFS gimme a break.

It was better left the way it was.
could not agree more...
AnswerID: 170570

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 08:42

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 08:42
Appalling comment.
FollowupID: 426012

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:46

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:46
There are quite a few tourism operators including one with a couple of Okas that go up there - presumably regularly, though I've never seen it because they don't depart Mansfield until 9AM (yawn).

FollowupID: 426080

Sponsored Links