Landcruiser electrical fault

Submitted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:33
ThreadID: 33487 Views:3730 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
OK, here's a curly one. The rear wiper on my 2000 FZJ105 Landcruiser GXL (tailgate, not barn doors) has decided to stop working when closed. The moment I lift the rear window up it starts working again. Surprised the bejesus out of me a couple of times now when it just starts up of its own accord. Close it and it stops but here's the funny thing. It will continue its cycle and stop in its resting position. So it still has power when the door is shut, it just won't continue to operate after it has completed a full cycle.

I assume that rules out damaged wiring, faulty earthing etc. What is telling it stop? Am I missing something obvious here?

Thought I'd ask before pulling things apart.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:38

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:38
Have you got it on intermitent on the dash switch?

Kind regards
AnswerID: 170389

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:41

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:41
Nope, tried all positions on the column stalk. Behaves as it should when open.
FollowupID: 425797

Reply By: Member - John L G - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:49

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:49
V8

Good luck with your attempts to fix this.

I have similar wipers on my launch and you will find there are either two power feeds to the motor that drives the blades or an internal switching mechanism in the motor housing.

It would seem that one circuit gets the whole thing started and the other actually powers the mechanism. When the power is turned off it still gets a feed to allow the motor to return to the parked position.

Mine has been on the blink for aeons and all sorts of sparkies have had a go and failed. I think its a bit like wiring a trailer loom without any destructions - and we all know how much fun that is!!!!!!!!!!

AnswerID: 170394

Follow Up By: Member - John L G - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:56

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:56
Just a thought!

ChecK the earth points on the door or motor housing.

It just may be getting the earth it requires when the door is up but losing it when the door is closed.

Yes, you might say that it shouldnt work at all if it loses its earth as we know it - however - I have seen mine do the same when only the power leads were attached and all other wires wires were removed from the motor. Caused much sparky head scratching at the time and this is on a timber mounting on the boat. Apparently it can get enough earthing from the housing and the way it is wired to go that one last wipe to the park position.

Electical wizardry if you ask me
FollowupID: 425800

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 11:48

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 11:48
Very interesting John, I'll do some further investigating.

It has seen a fair bit of dust and corrugations.

Thanks
FollowupID: 425807

Reply By: GUPatrol - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:21

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:21
V8Diesel,

The wiring that supplies the return to home power for all wipers is different and from a different source. therefore you cannot rule out faulty wiring.

The return to home power (or park) is always there and disconnects when a certain position is encountered on the gear (not the motor).

So it looks like power to the motor (from the switch) works when the door is open, the wiper moves, as soon as it moves the return to home or park wiring takes over and supplies power until the switch on the park position turns it off.

Look for a faulty wiring on the supply

Will
AnswerID: 170440

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:29

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:29
OK. That all makes sense. Thanks
FollowupID: 425848

Reply By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:36

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:36
Next question.

On a 100 series, where is the upper tailgate operated switch for the rear interior light located? I can't seem to find one like the doors have (eg: the littel rubber 'nipple' with micro switch). Would it be a magnetic proximity switch or something similar?

I think it is switch related as it happens just as the tailagte closes in exactly the same spot each time. I can't make it happen any other way.

All help appreciated. Thanks
AnswerID: 170445

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:44

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:44
I just tried ours and it is in the lock mechinism.Lifted the tailgate up and light on,locked the lock with the tail gate up, and light off.
FollowupID: 425944

Follow Up By: MP - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:06

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:06
I'm not familiar with the vehicle but would it be fair to say wiper motor and lock are in close proximity?
FollowupID: 425982

Reply By: V8Diesel - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 10:28

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 10:28
OK, I have just taken the trim off the upper tailgate and had good look around in there. The switch that is telling the wiper motor to turn off is located in the lock mechanism as you mentioned. I couldn't see anything obvious like pinched wiring or loose plugs, so I gave it all a good wriggle and seperated the plugs a few times.

No difference, so I thought I'll have to take it to a sparkie when it suddenly decided to work again. You beautie! But.....put the trim back on, all still fine then tried the switch again as I was locking the car up and the bloody thing decided to stop working again.

Something funny going on. I'll report back once it's sorted.

Cheers
AnswerID: 170605

Reply By: Moz - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 23:45

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 23:45
Good chance that it is faulty wiring.
Look for the harness going from the tailgate to the body and pull back the conduit around the harness. Look for damage to the wires around where it flexes during opening and closing.
And remember the inner core copper can be boken even though the outside insulation is fine. Go along the wires systematically 'wiggling' each part until you think you have found a break probably in the supply wire to the park switch.

Good luck!

Cheers Moz
AnswerID: 171073

Sponsored Links