Bike Rescue #2

Submitted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:44
ThreadID: 33488 Views:2502 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I was leading the convey on the Circuit Rd and stopped at the base of the Craigs Hut Rd to talk to a bike rider who was off his bike waiting.

There were some more bikes that were going to go up to Craigs Hut so I said I would wait until the convey caught up and the bikes had all made there way up the track. Basically I didn't want bikes passing us on the track.

A couple of bikes made the turn and headed up the track and i was out side the vehicle chatting to the lone bike rider when I heard a strange noise. I said someone must of missed a gear.

Then over the UHF we heard that a bike had gone under a 4WD. Not knowing which radio the message came from, the one on scan or the other which is on CH16 for the convey I asked first if someone in the convey had hit a bike.
Ever one one was OK, then I heard another massage on the radio that was on scan that a 4WD had run over a bike on the Craigs Hut Rd. That was the sound that I had heard, not a missed gear but a bike and 4wd hitting.

The first thing was to stop any more vehicles onto the track and then with the bike rider that I was talking to we set off up the track. Not far and we saw the 80 Series with a bike wedged under the front. The rider had dropped the bike just before impact and was not hurt.

They had already tried to move the vehicle back to free the bike but the foot peg was wedged under the steering damper. The only way to free the bike was to lift the front of the vehicle.

The young couple from Tasmania had a Hi-lift jack so I asked them to come up with there vehicle and jack. The 80 Series had side bars so I placed the jack under the support and started to lift after making sure that the vehicle was not going to move down the hill.

Got the vehicle clear of the foot peg but the front wheel of the bike was wedged around the front tyre of the vehicle. Turning the tyre we were able to free the bike.

The bike rider and driver were both in shock so we made sure that someone stayed with them for a while. The bike riders had to go and get the ute to pick up the bike and the partner of the 80 Series driver said they would have lunch at the bottom of the track.

By the time the track was open there were a few vehicles that had waited and I would like to thank them for the co-operation and not tyring to go up the track while we were getting the bike from under the vehicle.

Latter in the trip we came across the series again and I spoke to the driver who said that he did take some time before he could drive again after the incident.

No one was hurt, the bike a little second hand, and not a scratch on the vehicle.

I didn't see what happened so I will not make any comment on how the incident happened.

Wayne

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 11:30

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 11:30
It seems to happan all to often with bikes and 4WD's, not sure who, or if any one is at fault.

But seeing that we both use the same tracks its up to all of us to proceede with caution on tracks where passing is difficult, or the next bike rider may not dismount quick enough.
AnswerID: 170400

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:35

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:35
Not an unusual in that area, particularly around Sheepyard. I used to do search & rescue work up around there. Fortunately most are just wounded pride. I think you need to have a mind set of 'always expect the unexpected', otherwise you can lull yourself into thinking nobody else is around.
FollowupID: 425821

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:51

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:51
Too true.

By the way I went to school in Alex. A while ago now.
FollowupID: 425826

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 13:12

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 13:12
My kids went there. Me, I'm a city boy gone bad.
FollowupID: 425830

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:25

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:25
We have had many a close call with bike and 4wd's at Gembrook. Do not think there is an answer, we travel slowly around the tight bend and have our lights on.

It was good that the people waiting maintained a calm manner, many times too often, people who are ask to wait, ignore you or loose their temper.

Ads
AnswerID: 170407

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:33

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:33
Blody Husky Riders..

PS got a slip for it, or going Rec Rego?
FollowupID: 425820

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:46

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:46
working on the RWC but them will go rec reg once it runs out
FollowupID: 425824

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 22:01

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 22:01
Make sure it doesn't happen to quad riders mate.

Broke my collar bone hitting a cow, I reckon an 80 series would be harder. Heather did it with a trike years ago too. Thought she was a while checking the cows.
FollowupID: 425969

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 22:54

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 22:54
The Husky will run you down
FollowupID: 425979

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:22

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:22
hahahahahha....
u gotta start it first.
then tighten up the hose clamps...
FollowupID: 425986

Reply By: madcow - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 13:49

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 13:49
I ride as well, but i do acknowledge that i see them by putting on an indicator to allow them to pass and most do the right thing by not roosting past and giving a wave. It does Sh*t me to tears when you get rocks thrown at your vehicle from them but I guess there are idiots in all forms.

cheers
AnswerID: 170430

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 17:38

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 17:38
just my 2 bobs worth
most of the bike riders in that area seem to be MORONS last trip to craigs hut we had 1 d/head try to go between my brotherin laws truck and a tree he scraped the tree just as well he didnt hit bils truck he would have buried him
they have no patience and seem to think they have to pass everything on the track

steve
AnswerID: 170483

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 06:41

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 06:41
I have to agree. I've seen a lot of bike riders around the High Country and a considerable majority of them drive too fast and with little or no regard for others. Another good reason for avoiding holiday weekends, indeed weekends altogether.

Just curious: in Vic is any form of driving test required to drive an off-road bike and, if so, do most riders take it or do they just hope they won't meet a cop in the bush?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 425997

Follow Up By: Member - Darren T (VIC) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:00

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:00
No specific off road test or licence required for off road bikes, just a normal bike licence when riding on public roads/land/tracks. You still need to be licenced and have the bike registered , wheather it be road registered or recreational registered.
FollowupID: 426154

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:59

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:59
Thanks Darren
FollowupID: 426168

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 17:44

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 17:44
Thanks for telling the story Wayne.

There were still a lot of bikes around Mount Stirling on Tuesday morning and more going up the hill as we were driving up.

The whole time we were in the general area - from Dandongadale to Mansfield, I didn't hear anyone using UHF CB radios, but did wonder what would happen if I met folks coming in the opposite vertical direction to what I was doing on some of the steep tracks.

It is not just 4WDs moving at speed around those tracks, but logging trucks which seem to move at speeds too fast for the conditions given that folks could be coming from the opposite direction.

I guess the risk is one we are stuck with.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
AnswerID: 170485

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:05

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:05
Push bikes or Motor bikes?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 170709

Reply By: Member - Darren T (VIC) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:25

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:25
We ( "father in law" and myself ) had similair incident happen to us a number of years back when out cutting firewood. We were out in a state park ( back when you could collect wood from state parks with a permit) driving a ford ute and a trailer load of wood, coming out of the bush along the main road. We were rounding a blind bend when a bike rider came at us at a ridiculous speed, the rider panicked, hit the brakes, skidded for a bit then stepped off and dropped the bike. He rolled along the ground for a bit and the bike was stuck under the car.
Father in law got out and abused the sh*t out of him for being an idiot for riding the way he was.
He must have known he shouldn`t have been riding in this manner because he didn`t say a word, just stood there and took the abuse.

Unfortunately I think most people who use bush tracks tend to think they are the only ones out there and feel free to ride or drive as they feel.
I think everyone has to remember that they are on a public road and be prepared to find an oncoming vehicle around the next corner or bend.

Cheers all.

AnswerID: 170716

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 22:19

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 22:19
Hey Wayne,

Don't give them too much grief. They keep me in a job. Rarely a weekend goes by in Spring, Summer or Autumn where we don't respond to a job in the high country involving a bike or rider. :o)) Generally most (but not all of the guys on bikes I encounter aren't too bad.) The ones I encountered on Davies Plain Tk on Anzac Day weekend (group of about 15) went through our 4wd group way to quick. We were stopped but they went through us at about 40+kmh. Wouldn't of killed them to slow to a safe walking pace for 50 metres. We had stopped to let them through.

By the way. Unless you are losing large amounts of claret somewhere you can't end up in shock.

Shock is a process involving hypovolaemia or loss of circulating volume.

It can be caused by prolonged bleeding, burns, dehydration or a number of other causes.

What both had was a fright. Maybe a big fright but that's all.

Sounds like you had an interesting trip anyway.

Take care,

Dave
AnswerID: 171055

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 07:19

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 07:19
Dave,

Talking to some of the bike riders at the scene of the rescue.
3 other bike riders had already been taken to hospital from there group. Mostly with head injury.

Wayne
FollowupID: 426512

Sponsored Links