CB - coverage

Submitted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:30
ThreadID: 33493 Views:1726 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all.

A friend of ours has just left for a 4 month trip around OZ by herself.
Now her brother gave her a CB which she has installed and she got an
aerial from Repco (looks like a straightened out coat hanger with a spiral loop
in the middle ~ 2 foot long).

Now the thing is, I'd like to get just a basic setup so we can chat to her while she's cruizin!
She'll be mainly on sealed roads and not venturing too far off the main roads.

What do I need to get! I take it that the aerial is the main thing if I want to send & receive
to the other side of OZ.

I suspect that at the end of the day it would be cheaper just to call her on the mobile?

any info appreciated.

cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:42

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:42
A couple of questions

By CB, do you mean 27MHz or UHF?
If 27MHz, is it Single Side Band SSB or AM?

Some answers without getting too technical.

If UHF, forget it, the range is a few kilometres.
If 27 MHz AM not likely but very remotley possible, depends on the ionospheric conditions on the day.

If 27MHz SSB, remotely possible, depsnds on the ionospheric conditions on the day but more likely than AM since the SSB results in more energy paccked into the signal.

AnswerID: 170415

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:44

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:44
Having said that, I wouldn't bother outlaying any money because the chances of REGULAR and contact are extremely low. PREDICTABLE contact is just about impossible.
FollowupID: 425823

Reply By: Member - Stephen L- Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 13:24

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 13:24
dogart,
Sorry if you have been given the wrong information, but the only long rang reliable radio contact is HF Radio, which your friend does not have. The type of radio that you discribe would only be good for vehicle to vehicle contact.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 170421

Reply By: Steve63 - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:09

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:09
Hi,
By the description of the antenna it is a UHF set. 27MHz antenna tend to be tunable and consist of a long wire coiled up a fibreglass whip (not always but it is a clue). The wire coil type of antenna you describe is also relatively ineffecent. It would be great to communicate to people nearby and of no value to communicate more than 20-30 km. UHF is cheap, reliable and gives clear voice communication over short distances.

UHF and 27Mhz are not a reliable method of communication in the bush. While near stations etc you may get help on the emergency channel if there is anyone within range. If your friend stays near populated areas UHF is widely used and it may be of some value.

The mobile phones will have a similar problem. Even with a CDMA phone huge areas of Australia have no coverage. Telstra GSM Coverage from the Telstra site as an example. If you are on main highways you mainly have a signal. Though even on Stuart Highway there is no signal for most of its length. If your friend is going to be travelling alone she should keep in regular contact with someone and let them know where she is and where she is planning to go next. At least then some knows that she is missing and about where.

Steve

AnswerID: 170437

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 15:23

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 15:23
The only reliable comms is a sat phone, but as she's already left, its a bit late to organise....

The CB is useless for anything more than vehicle to vehicle and a normal mobile phone is only any good in towns.
If you're worried about her then organise a sat phone (can be bought off ebay and a cheap (!?!) plan setup through Telstra I believe). Mail it to her at her next main stop.
AnswerID: 170458

Reply By: dogart - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 16:16

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 16:16
thanks all for the tips.

easiest/cheapest to keep in touch with her via mobile phone I think

cheers
AnswerID: 170464

Sponsored Links