Bilge Pumps

Submitted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:37
ThreadID: 33506 Views:2110 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with Rule bilge pumps?

I have a 12 volt shower set-up using a 360gph Rule bilge pump which I made for our trip to Cape York in 2004. We have used it a couple of times since, but after testing it recently, found it didn't work. Found the impeller had seized to the shaft.

I managed to free it up, but now it is quite noisy and I'm tempted to buy a new pump for our up-coming trip.

The reason I ask is that I thought bilge pumps were designed for marine service salt water etc. This one has always been cleaned in fresh water after a trip and being a decent brand made in the USA I expected a longer life.

Is there any better brands that will last longer??

Thanks in advance
Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:39

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:39
Arrrr don't tell me that.....running out to the boat to see what brand i have!

Leroy
AnswerID: 170517

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:44

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:44
Chris,
I for one can't through any light on your problem. I ran a Rule bilge pump in my 15ft Savage Runabout, the sucker was in there for the seven years I owned the boat and was still running when I sold the unit.
No special care, only on the odd occasion was it fushed with fresh water and that was only if I overfilled the bilge when washing out the boat Maybe you got a "made on Monday pump".
I still would not hesitae to purchase Rule Pumps, had a great run in the boat and even better in my camper trailer.

Ian
AnswerID: 170520

Reply By: Member - Stillthinkinaboutit - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:00

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:00
Have had no problems with Rule Bilge Pumps, used one as a bilge pump, and another as a live bait tank pump on our last boat, had them in for around 6 years, no problems encountered.

Also using a rule bilge pump in the basement / sub floor of our house, it is mounted down a large tube about 1M deep and prevents any ground water from flooding my workshop and laundry, it cops heaps of crap and has never missed a beat in the last 10 years or so, not that it has had much of a workout over the last year or so due to the drought.

Would have no hesitation in bying another Rule pump.

Regards, Mark
AnswerID: 170521

Follow Up By: Catfish - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:30

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:30
Thanks for your replies fella's,

I think I must have a lemon. I will buy a new one tommorrow and hopefully it will last longer.

Cheers
Chris.

FollowupID: 425943

Reply By: fisho64 - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 21:30

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 21:30
Found the impeller had seized to the shaft.
UNQUOTE

Umm the impellor is SUPPOSED to be "seized" to the shaft or it wouldnt go round with the motor.

rule are a fairly reputable brand, have had one in nearly every boat I have worked. Only problem I have had is to do with the electrical connections
AnswerID: 170547

Follow Up By: Catfish - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 09:53

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 09:53
yeah good one bunji - realized what I said now LOL - I stand corrected.

Possibly a siezed bearing in the motor or possibly jammed up with rubbish???

Chris.
FollowupID: 426026

Reply By: RobEG - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 21:49

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 21:49
Chris

Rule and Johnson are both good brands. Just make sure when u mount it or use it that the motor is above the pump. Had an expert install a deckwash in my boat years ago with the pump at the top and lasted about a month. I know the seals are supposed to work but even the manufacturers make this point. Also unless the water is clean use an in-line filter if any possibility of grit from creek/dam etc.
AnswerID: 170550

Reply By: Frank_Troopy - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 21:58

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 21:58
Hi Chris,
Centrifugal pumps are great for high capacity and they're handy because they're submersible but if you are using it as a shower sump pump you'd be better off with a decent diaphram pump with non-choke valves like a Whale Gulper . I had a Rule pump in the shower sump on my yacht and it was forever getting all tangled up with hair and crud. I was so sick of cleaning it. The increased current caused by a partially blocked pump shortens the life of float switches.

I now have a Gulper for the shower sump and it never misses a beat. I reckon it would pump a pullover.

I have a Rule 4000 as a backup to the automatic diaphram bilge pump and in the last 15 years the Rule has never missed a beat whenever I give it a test.

Cheers Frank.
AnswerID: 170553

Reply By: greghud - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:35

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:35
if you run the unit dry it will burn out very quickly as they need water to lube and cool it.
by what you discribe its sounds like that. it will run dry you turn it off and thats it, it cools down and seizes.
i did this once so thats from experence, get another and you will be fine
AnswerID: 170643

Sponsored Links