lockers

Submitted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 20:30
ThreadID: 33508 Views:2356 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
anybody done a comparison between air lockers and auto lockers performance maintainence cost ect safe driveing mal
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: F4Phantom - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 21:18

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 21:18
I think you will find there are not many head to head tests. Most people say if you can afford it, go the air lockers. It's an interesting subject so I will give you my opinion on it. The airs I on some forums I have heard can cause some slight reliability issues, these are very few and far between so you wouldnt really throw a lot of weight in a buying decision to reliability but still, the problem does exsist. I would say the auto's would be less safe on the road. I have an auto and cant tell it's there but with a short wheel base car and not a diesel (feedback through the transmission is greater with a petrol because of compression) I would say you may feel it. Also the detroits are the worst for feedback. On price my auto locker with self install was 4 times cheaper so that was a large part of the decision for me. In terms of off road advantage you cannot tell the difference between the two. As for mechanical advatages over the air, I can only think of one really good one, that thats the decision to lock or unlock is not up to you, if your wondering when and where to engage off road with the air, you may make the wrong decision, or engage to late or it may not be possible to engage at all in some situations. This sucks, whereas the auto locker is always locked so you dont think about it at all, just drive around and find your car goes better than it used too!
AnswerID: 170543

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 00:30

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 00:30
F4

I had twin air lockers in my GQ they were fitted from new as the car belonged to ARB. It had 385,000km on the clock when I sold it and there was no sign of a problem with the air lockers.

When I got the car at 215,000km the compressor was worn out so I replaced that and then had the air locks in and out on a fairly regular basis. I never had a situation where they would not lock or unlock. Even with fairly large throttle openings and a bit of traction loss they just hooked in and pushed the car along.

As for knowing they are there, they are not. With the ARB lockers in you have an open diff until you press the buton and then you have positive drive to both wheels on the axle instantly (provided you have air, that takes about 30 seconds the first time and that is the only delay).

The only reason for haveing auto lockers is price. Personally I will save up and buy the air.

Duncs
FollowupID: 425994

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:30

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:30
F4Phantom

well said mate I can't add to that
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 426051

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:16

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:16
Manual Vrs Auto you chose
AnswerID: 170566

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:41

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 23:41
Air locker 1000 times over.
AnswerID: 170569

Reply By: dieseltojo - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 06:17

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 06:17
Hi,I agree with truckster,had both front and rear ARBs on two vehicles for 17 years and never had a problem.Had mates with auto`s with various problems and removed them.I never had auto`s myself though.

Regards,
Paul Klat.member LCOOL
Melbourne ,Vic,Australia.
Toyota LC. 2004 TD
Too many extras to mention.
AnswerID: 170579

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 07:34

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 07:34
Hi Mal,

I reckon an auto locker on the front diff and an air locker on the rear, in a part-time 4WD. A fulltime 4WD cannot have an auto locker.

I prefer an auto locker upfront on the part-time 4WD as you still have good steering ability when you are on say rocky terrain. An air-locker in this case will want to steer straight and you will need to turn it off. An auto locker will cam out as required and you still have steering while having a locked diff.

The air-locker is for the rear so you have a normal open diff for daily driving. An auto locker in this case can be noticable, hence my preference for an air locker here.

All just my opinion and others will surely have different opinions as there is no cut and dried correct answer.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 170585

Follow Up By: Redback - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 08:34

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 08:34
Yes you can, in fact it's recommended that you use a tru-trak auto locker in the front of Disco/Defender with traction control and not an air Locker, i have a Maxi Drive vacuum locker in the rear my Disco and a Tru-Trak is going in the front soon.

Baz.
FollowupID: 426010

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 09:51

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 09:51
Hi Redback,

The tru-trak is actually a gear driven LSD and is NOT a locker. Check out this link www.locked-drive.com.au/product.htm and you can read the difference. Its also why they are recommended for any permanaent 4WD like the Disco.

A LSD, while effective, will not have the same perfomance as a true locker.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 426025

Follow Up By: Redback - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 10:48

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 10:48
Yep, I knew that, best option in my case.
FollowupID: 426036

Follow Up By: Redback - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 10:50

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 10:50
I forgot working in conjuction with the traction control it gives it that bit more.
FollowupID: 426037

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:13

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:13
Redback has got the right idea , also I hear so much crap about lockers in the front , I agree with the comment about rock climbing, I have no interest in that but an auto is not the way to go there,as for steering when the auto is working in the front, not much chop in mud but I had no steering problems in the SD over Easter, it took the dunes with ease and could change direction on command, About an Auto in the rear over Air, well someone wrote 30 seconds if air is not up, well time air is up your in the sheit if you run into a bad spot where the Detroit is there working all the time and I don't even hear it for 1000s of Ks on sealed road,It's there un-noticed working,no air lines ,no switches,no electrics to go wrong. sometimes you get a small click or a kick just ignore it, you have to change your driving habits.Now all my comments are for part time 4x4,

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 426044

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:24

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:24
30 seconds ? must be a damn slow compressor, just timed my ARB at 6 sec.
FollowupID: 426047

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:27

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:27
Im with you Ray, both mine are locked well under 10 secs, and if you really wanna get keen, set up an air tank...
FollowupID: 426049

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:39

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:39
Well there's a little tank on the side of the ARB compressor anyway, don't need a big tank just for lockers. Throw the switch and have the tank primed for the lockers all day if you want. If it looks half dodgy throw a locker or two in, that's what they're there for, no need to get caught out. I like the work load of switching them in and out, and the pshhhh..lol
FollowupID: 426053

Reply By: Robin - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 08:07

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 08:07
Check out question from PatrolmanPat on 4wdmonthly general fourby discussion page 2 called Lockers (again) and similar on Overlander forum.

Site Link

My results in a Patrol were
1/ any locker type in front first, both very effect in dry conditions and
both becoming less useful when slippery.

2/ No problems with either type from maintennance issues/reliability
but the air system for arb needs to be up to scratch

3/ Low cost auto lockers had significant understeer effect in front of patrol
while ARB had this you could turn it off.
I spent lot more time in 2wd when had auto locker on slippery Vic. tracks
as it was safer than 4wd.

4/ Detroit series 4 auto locker suffers a lot less from these effects

Robin Miller

AnswerID: 170588

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 16:40

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 16:40
I would have to second Robin's comments.

When I had the auto I ended up spending a lot of time in 2wd because 4wd was hard to steer in slippery conditions.

With the air locker you turn it on when you want to.
About the 30 seconds it takes to pump it up, it takes much less but I pre-pressurise it as soon as I flick the 4wd lever, in other words, as soon as 4wd is in so is the compressor which starts and stops and then sits there on standby... when the lcoker is needed is there right away.
FollowupID: 426114

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 17:45

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 17:45
I've spent the past week trawling various forums and web sites in search for the best locker solution for my Patrol.
I reckon there are as many advocating air lockers as Detroits (I've discounted using cheaper auto lockers) and almost as many saying lock the rear first as those saying lock the front first. Plus a surprising number who have had detroits and gone to air lockers and vice versa.

The best solution is to toss a coin and see which way it falls I reckon.

I'll probably (see the uncertainty is still there) get a front air locker first.
AnswerID: 170686

Reply By: gbc - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:51

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:51
I've run the cheapest auto lokka in the front of my lux for 130000 kms sor far, and can say that it's the first mod I'd do to any 4wd.
Also know of a number of constant 4wd 80's running autos in the fron on road with no ill effects
AnswerID: 170977

Sponsored Links