Ute canopy -canvas v vinyl

Submitted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 23:05
ThreadID: 33551 Views:15086 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've ordered a new Hilux tray back on which I am going to put a canopy. I know the good old green canvas is great, but I am considering vinyl so I can can get a colour selection. Has anyone had good or bad results from vinyl?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, May 05, 2006 at 00:11

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 00:11
We are going through the same thoughts with out twin cab Hilux. I'm leaning towards the canvas [could be blue or brown too]. It may breathe better [less condensation] and not get so grubby... or at least show the dust the same. We definitely don't want to go the ridig fibreglass way because it will tend to be a permenant fixture and loose some of the 'ute' quality.

Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 170813

Reply By: ro-dah-o (WA) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 00:51

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 00:51
In the same boat too. Im looking at the ripstop style canvas. Less prone to big tears.

Im a bit concerned about the lack of breathability of the vinyl.
AnswerID: 170823

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 07:17

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 07:17
warren,
cant coment on vinyl but my canopy is made with the olive coloured reinforced canvas and has been fantastic. did mine with a metal roof and front so canvas on back and sides with zips and elastic tie downs with a scupper vent in the roof no dust problems.
regards peter
AnswerID: 170841

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 07:51

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 07:51
Ripstop Canvas and it gets better with age if you look after it. Vinyl goes hard and doesn't let air in.

Reiner
AnswerID: 170845

Reply By: A Tata-Downunder - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 08:27

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 08:27
A good canvas tarp should last you 20 years if you look after it, you won't have the problems of condensation like vinyl, and should you want to sleep in the back like we do then with canvas it won't smell or get too hot and stuffy. there is a good range of colours on the market now too

Cheers Roland
AnswerID: 170851

Reply By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 09:23

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 09:23
I have the heavy duty vinyl, the type you see on trucks. It has been on my ute for about 3 years and so far I am impressed. There are lots of scratches from branches on narrow tracks but no rips. No sign of shrinking either.
A good friend of mine who used vinyl on his HJ40 in the late eighty's is replaceing his now. Not because it is falling apart, it just looks very faded. This vehicle is parked under cover but I still think he has had a good run. There are several grades of vinyl available. I went for the top of the range.
Regards
Scooby
AnswerID: 170860

Reply By: Member - Vincent A M (NSW) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 09:25

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 09:25
I have had both Pvc vinyal & canvas on my vechiles for over 20 years

Points to cosider
1) is the canopy go to stay on all the time
2) do i sleep in it
3) am i going to take it off wet & leave it in the corner
4) how water tight do i want it
5) is heat a problem

*if it was going to stay on all the time & sleep in it I would go canvas
* if i was taking it on & off a lot i would go PVC vinyal (canvas has a habit of shrinking i've had two that would not go back on)
*if i wanted it to be water tight go pvc But not sewen have it welded in most places (all but zippers)
*heat/cold ??? PVC is not much fun if you sleep in it & condenstion is a problem
* i have had no problems with pvc (i do not sleep in it) i find over all it suits my use the best No Leaks,No Shrinkage,Most moulds wash off when left wet,if a good pvc is used less damage than canvas & easer repair Temp or long term.Pvc has a LOT less chaffing problems.i have had about tens years life out of PVC & only 4 out of canvas (i do not treat them well)

if you are Not going to take it off offen go alloy/fiberglass so you can lock it up (a mesh frame with a cover will still show them what is in side I have had a few things taken over the years

If you Go PVC email me & i will help you on some of the things you should do to get a great cover & best off luck
AnswerID: 170861

Reply By: warrenr004 - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 18:39

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 18:39
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I'll go canvas because we will sleep in it at times and we live in the north west which can be a fairly humid at times. Cheers.
AnswerID: 170999

Sponsored Links