Caravan Broken Spring

Submitted: Friday, May 05, 2006 at 14:05
ThreadID: 33574 Views:2464 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just was returning to Mt Isa from Cloncurry and came upon 2 Caravans parked on the left and just not quite off the lane by 200 mm out near Dingo Creek just about 2 klm from the Lake Julius T/O and 2 real bad black marks veering of the road behind the first one and when I seen that I knew this was not good, What had happened was the right rear spring decided to to be in 2 pieces instead of one and the right rear wheel was positioned in the center of the van and about 1.5 mts from the back underneath , I feel they were very lucky the van was a tandem as the front set kept it in line, they had Sat phone and had organised help , things like that can stuff up a good holiday and the Van is only 9 months old.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 14:26

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 14:26
That was a bit of bad luck. As you say the dual axle set up probly saved the day.

Now you will see the dealer ducking for cover with all the excusses under the sun. Not much room to get off on the streach of road either.
AnswerID: 170938

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 14:39

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 14:39
G'day Doug,

Would seem like an unusual sort off situation. Any idea how that would happen? You'd reckon that if it was a load issue then both axles might have comme to grief.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 170946

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 14:48

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 14:48
Have no idea mate just that they were lucky, a single axle could have flipped the the lot, I was only there a couple of minutes as they had got help on the phone, wished i had taken a couple of photo's of the broken spring, seems it broke about the middle near the U-Bolts and thats the main leaf

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 426344

Reply By: crusa - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 15:12

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 15:12
Hi Doug

Did you happen to see what brand of caravan it was. I heard of a similar incident a couple of years ago!

AnswerID: 170948

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:45

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:45
No mate, I did look at the name but can't remember what it was , think it began with an H ???
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 426378

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:35

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:35
Ya gotta keep dem U-bolts tight!!!
But not TOO tight, otherwise ya stretch da thread, & ya end up wit da same result, slack U-bolts....
What happens then is that the spring-pack can no longer work as a unit, & the main leaf cops all of the load... Result, broken spring!! .. Centre-bolt will usually be the first to go, allowing the axle to get out of alignment, and well, ya know the rest.....

Easily avoided with regular inspection & maintenance!
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 170973

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:48

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:48
Mr Ed ....I shoulda known a horse would neigh something.

LOL Mate you could be right , it is a smart looking unit too, it is in town here and if i see it i will note the brand name
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 426380

Sponsored Links