bypass oil filter

Submitted: Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:41
ThreadID: 33578 Views:5191 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Have done an archive search but most of the posts are a few years old. I am seriously considering installing a bypass filter to my 4.2 diesel GQ for no other reason than it extends the oil changes and lengthens engine life.

Would appreciate some advice regarding if there is any difference between the brands, frantz, amsoil etc. i would like one that is made or has distributors on oz, preferably Adelaide for obvious service needs.

I do my own basic servicing but i'm no mechanic, how hard are they to install? would it be better getting a mechanic to do it?

does it still keep one of the other free flow filters?

Thanks

Barnesy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:59

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:59
Wait for Roachie to answer you post. He's your man!
AnswerID: 170979

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 09:08

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 09:08
G'day all,

I have the AMSOIL by-pass set-up and haven't changed my oil for 33,000 klm since I fitted it. I have been sending samples off to Castrol's laboratory every 5000klm just to be sure all is well. I got my dual head unit from a bloke on Yorke Peninsula SA, but have also been given the phone number of a bloke called Bruce in Adelaide, who is supposed to be a supplier too.......8388 5294.

Check out http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/frame_mount_02web.jpg
for one of the pictures of a typical installation set-up.

My set-up involves removing one of the Nissan's original filters (my model Nissan comes with 2 different filter types....one is supposed to be a by-pass filter too, but it is not as fine grade filter as the AMSOIL BE100 which is what I am using). So, you remove the rear filter from the engine and replace it with an adaptor plate which has 2 hose barbs. You then use 2 lengths of high pressure hydraulic hose to take oil to/from the remote-mounted head unit. The one I am using has 2 filters attached to it; one is the large black BE100 by-pass filter, the other is a SDF15, similar to a standard Nissan filter and it actually has the same thread and physical size as the original filter. The disadvantage of this set-up is the sheer size. I've had to relocate my 2nd battery into the cargo area of my Patrol and have mounted the bypass system where the 2nd battery had previously been. NOTE: this has actually been a blessing in disguise for a few reasons......it gets the 2nd battery closer to the things it needs to power-up (fridge, compressor, HF radio, inverter etc).....plus....the weight of the 2nd battery meant that the battery tray had pulled away from the inner guard, tearing away the metal behind the radiator expansion water bottle too.

Of course I was concerned that if I blew a hose off the engine could empty itself of oil in a minute or 2, so I've also fitted a buzzer which is connected to the original oil pressure switch (above the filters), so that I don't have to rely on seeing the red idiot light if I lose pressure. Just as a bit of extra info, I've also fitted a VDO oil pressure gauge with it's sender unit located on the opposite side of the block (the passenger's side).

Now, just to confuse the issue a bit, there is a 2nd option with the AMSOIL set-up, which a bloke I know who also lives here on the YP has in his GU Patrol. He has not removed either of his original filters. Instead, he has fitted a "T" piece where the Nissan oil pressure sender is mounted. The "T" piece enables the pressure sender re-fitted and also a hose which leads to a single head unit by-pass unit. He has mounted the remote single head unit on the fire wall in the back corner, passengers side. He uses a BE90 as the area is not large enough to accomodate the BE100. He has returned the oil back to the engine via a hose to the passenger's side of the block. There are 2 'plugs' on the side of the 4.2 diesel block, just behind the alternator. These are quite close together. The one closest to the front of the motor is the one I removed to fit my VDO oil pressure sender unit. The one just behind that is the one my mate has removed in order to fit a barb for the return oil from his by-pass. I think that in the GQ, one of these plugs is in use already.....something to do with the vacuum system...... but it can still be used with another "T" piece fitted as far as I know.

Hope this helps a bit.......

Cheers

Roachie

FollowupID: 426535

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 17:33

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 17:33
Amsoil is hard to get/ bordering on imposable to get hold of in Australia I believe.

Which is a shame as some of their oils are openly stated to last 35,000 MILES or 1 year
And that isn’t running a by-pass filter ether, Now that’s impressive.
AnswerID: 170987

Reply By: Member QLD Steve & Lorraine Mc - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 17:34

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 17:34
Hi Barnesy
I fitted a Baldwin B50 by-pass filter & filter head ( sorry cant remember No for the filter head) to our GU since new the good thing about the B50 it has a oil pressure restrictor built into the filter, thus keeping the oil pressure up after you have the oil running thru a few extra meters of hose. The filter is a breeze to change, being spin on & no mess if you do it cold ( steady hands)?? I use Caltest oil sampling kits available at most Caltex depots $30 includes sampling & they e-mail results back too. We now run our oil change intervals out to 25,000ks, bloody great I reckon get sick of getting under the thing every 5,000ks easier on the pocket too. And I dont touch the standard filters at all until the 25,000 is up, a B50 is worth $13 & replace it every 5,000Ks. If you arent real mechanically minded Barnesy, I would get someone to fit it. Getting the right supply & drain is the main point. GQs have a pick up & drain point near the alternator on the block. Hope this helps mate as for other brands I cant help you?? Roachie has different one but he is on holidays???(Ah a bank managers life) LOL
Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 170988

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 18:04

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 18:04
Where do you purchase this system? What oil do you use?
thanks
FollowupID: 426396

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 18:22

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 18:22
Thanks Steve.

the pick up and drain point i assume is where each end of the bypass hoses are connected to. in this case am i right in saying that the other 2 free flow filters will remain and the bypass filter will be an extra? and thanks twinkles i was just about to ask that too.

Barnesy
FollowupID: 426402

Follow Up By: Member QLD Steve & Lorraine Mc - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 08:34

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 08:34
Hi Barnesy
Yes you are right about the pick up & drain points, if your GQ has a oil cooled alternator, a T piece into the block on the larger diameter hose(return) will do & just back from where the smaller diameter feed line comes into the alt from the block there should be a small hex headed plug only 8-9mm in diameter, this is your pickup. Yes the other 2 filters remain Try www.baldwinfilters.com.au then go to contact us & they will tell you where the closest dealer is to you. High pressure hoses are needed too once you have worked out a place to mount the alloy head I made a bracket up & mounted mine under the bonnet up near the top of the firewall. From memory all up mine cost $130 high pressure oil hoses & the elbows fittings done most of the damage, sorry cant remember the specific size of the fittings that go into the block. In all a bit of mucking around but well worth the effort involved. Hope this helps
Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 426530

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Friday, May 05, 2006 at 18:11

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 18:11
Frantz have a distributor in Melbourne...
www.frantzfilters.com.au
US site is www.wefilterit.com

No doubt someone will be along shortly to tell you to stay away from "toilet roll" filters, but if the CORRECT rolls (available from the Melb. distributor) are used, then you should have no problems....
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 170994

Reply By: The Boy - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 19:23

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 19:23
Have one from Filter Technology Australia fitted to the front of my GU, purchased the FM02 model.
I tapped into the old oil supply for the vacuum pump using hydraulic hoses with quick disconnect coupling on the filter. This way I can remove it from the vehicle and empty the filter out into a container.

www.filtertechnology.com.au

The Boy
AnswerID: 171009

Reply By: Barnesy - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 00:13

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 00:13
Thanks to all for answering. i now have some good starting points. i think i may get an experienced mechanic to install it. last thing i want is for a hose to fail out bush and blow the engine. havent heard any bad things about them. curious as to why manufacturers don't install them new from the factory. would be a big selling point i would think.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 171231

Sponsored Links