Yalata Roadhouse on Nullabor closed?

Submitted: Friday, May 05, 2006 at 19:39
ThreadID: 33585 Views:2990 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know about this? Although is has not been a fuel stop we use, we noticed on the way home that it appeared deserted and boarded up. Have the traditional owners who were running the roadhouse got walkabout or is it a failed business venture? No signage along the highway indicated that fuel was no longer available so i hope none of those mobile wheelbarrows with small fuel tanks we stranded.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - BANJO (WA) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 20:12

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 20:12
3 years ago we pulled into there and got out of vehicle.

Seeing the 'wild' look on the faces of the locals, combined with the filth all around we got back in and drove off.

So if it's gone out of business, I for one, am not suprised.

Banjo (WA)
AnswerID: 171023

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 21:55

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 21:55
I stopped there last year at the end of May on the tail end of our Canning trip and had a really good feed. While indigenously owned it was operated by two white families.

The food was good and the people were friendly. They gave us the gos on the whale watching joint at the top of the bight - owned by the same tribe & paid for by you & I - and we went on our way.

If it's closed I think it would be a bit of a shame.

The indigenous locals who piled in 7 to a falcon gave us no grief.

Dave
AnswerID: 171046

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 22:02

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 22:02
It was not far from there last year when we 'gave away' 20 litres of petrol (as in my reply to thread 33546). The roadhouse appeared to be open on the way over in January this year, but come April, not a soul to be seen, not even the families in the old cars usually seen driving through that stretch. They must have all gone walkabout.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 171051

Reply By: joc45 - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 08:20

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 08:20
Yeh, I came thru westwards in early April, and it was boarded up, by all appearances.
Not that I intended stopping; I made sure I was carrying enough diesel to get me thru to Norseman, having filled at Nundroo (last of the cheap diesel on the SA side).
Gerry
AnswerID: 171100

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 10:24

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 10:24
We stopped there years ago and my wife refused to get out of the car. I did, and went and bought some drinks. It appeared as though the locals were giving the owners curry for some reason, although it might just have been my take on the situation. In any event I found the place uncomfortable. The locals piled back into a much newer 4wd than mine which looked much older than mine. Paid for by my taxpayer dollars I remember thinking at the time. I wasn't being racist, I have the same thoughts when I see the new 4wds from other organizations.
In any event had I known the situation in town I would never had stayed there a few years later. I thought it was a far more dangerous place than others that have been mentioned. Reminds me of a certain town that even the locals call L A . No prizes for guessing why.
AnswerID: 171111

Reply By: skinnyg - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 14:19

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 14:19
Yallata was run by a couple of decenent blokes when we were there in december.... Stewy and i cant remmember the name of the other guy but they were extremely helpfull.. especially if you want to know where to go to catch the big mulloway. they gave us a map of the tracks in to the beaches and a few good tips as where they were being caught... also the fuel is Much cheaper at Nundroo so fill up there if you can...

Give The place a stop over if you like catching big fish from the beach we did..
AnswerID: 171136

Sponsored Links