Melway or UBD? No contest.

Submitted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 10:08
ThreadID: 33603 Views:2424 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have to go to Point Cook this arvo to check out a display home. Like most display villages it is in a new estate. I look it up in a 2005 UBD, not there. Grab my son's 2004 Melway, lo and behold and it's clearly marked as a proposed street.

Not only that, the Melway is much easier to read.

I'm gonna pitch the UBD to the Sheissenhausen.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8Diesel - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 11:27

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 11:27
In Perth we have the UBD and the Streetsmart.

No contest in favour of the UBD in this case. The UBD was designed by someone who reads maps a lot and has put some thought into it, the Streetsmart clearly wasn't.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say the Streetsmart street directory of Perth would be a worthy teaching aid to budding cartographers and graphic designers as to exactly what NOT to do in a map book.

Probably wouldn't notice if you only use one occasionally - a map book's a map book, but if it used constantly for work you'll know what I mean.

AnswerID: 171118

Follow Up By: macca172 - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 11:39

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 11:39
Jimbo,

Point Cook hey....god that place brings back memories! As a young fella back in the late 60's, we would catch the last train out of Spencer St at about 11:00pm on a Friday or Saturday night(the pubs closed at 10pm in those days) and go to Aircraft railway station, which was the next station after Laverton. After alighting at Aircraft, we we walk three parts top the wind, the 10 or so klms to the base(no cabs or buses out there in those days). I remember one time, me and my mate fell asleep on the train and woke up at 6am in the Werribee train yards. I dont know who got the bigger shock, the carriage cleaner or us.
In those days there was nothing between Aircraft railway station and the Pt. Cook base, except for the now gone Cheltenham salt works and a few radio antenna sites. Now its all houses, except for the last couple of klms. Oh how time goes by!

Macca
FollowupID: 426563

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 16:38

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 16:38
Hi Jimbo,

You and Jen thinking of moving to one of the Retirement Villages down there?

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 171531

Sponsored Links