places to visit in gulf

Submitted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 15:51
ThreadID: 33644 Views:2135 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
We plan to leave Cairns in early June to spend a few months in the Gulf of Carp. The original plan was to stay at karumba, Dorunda Station and Escott. Dorunda and Escott are now closed so we have to rethink our plans. We are due at Karumba at end of July, so have about 5 or 6 weeks to spend elsewhere. We will be travelling in a Troopy with CT and 12ft dinghy.(& kid and dog)

Has anyone got any favourate spots in the area?

Some of the spots we were thinking about and would love to here you thoughts on are:-

Leighhardt Falls
Adels Grove
Gregory Downs
Kingfisher Camp
Leichhardt Lagoons
Burketown

Thanks in advanced for your info

Ellen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: briggzee (WA) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 18:44

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 18:44
Ellen, We are heading that way in mid July and have spoken to people who were up ther last year and spoke highly of Kingfisher Camp. They rated it better than Adels (for camping conditions anyway). Sorry I dont have any first hand info but that will change soon. Happy travels.
Craig
AnswerID: 171346

Follow Up By: ellen m - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:08

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:08
Thanks Craig. We thought Adels Grove 'cause someone told us they will "dog sit" while we go to Lawn Hill.
Maybe we will see you along the track
FollowupID: 426814

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 19:37

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 19:37
Leighardt falls looked very nice but we didnt stop there.Adels Grove was a beautiful spot,we stayed a week.Gregory downs didnt look to have much.Kingfisher Camp(KFC) looked nice also,wished we had have stopped there but didnt(good excuse to go back).Burke Town didnt have much but still worth a day.
AnswerID: 171357

Follow Up By: ellen m - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:12

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:12
Thanks Nick. One of our favourate places we have stayed is in your neck of the woods. Camping on the side of the Penticost river on Gibb river road. We stopped for one night and stayed 11! Great fishing and lots of entertainment watching people get stuck trying to cross the river in 2WD. LOL
FollowupID: 426816

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:22

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:22
Lawn Hill Gorge is a gem. Kingfisher Camp is great...there was a post on here the other day about roads being closed up there around Bowthorn Station..you might want to check that out. The lady who runs Bowthorn wrote a book called Pieces of Blue...very good. Name is Kerry but can't remember surname. I'm getting old!!

Burketown is interesting. It's a pity about Escott. We stayed there way back in 1994..were there for their campdraft/rodeo ...plenty of action!! Anyway, things change.

You may have already been to Chillagoe but it's an interesting little place...if you weren't going on the road from there across to Dorunda but on the Georgetown road instead then the Undara Lava Tubes, Tallaroo Hot Springs and Cobbald Gorge are all well worth visiting. The little town of Einasleigh is worth a look too...great old pub there.

You used to be able to go to the coast from both Wollogorang and Hell's Gate but don't know if you can do that now. We went from Wollogorang and it was unbelievable..we had the whole beach to ourselves. If you phone either of these places you'd find out.

Hope you see a morning glory roll in...would be fantastic to see that. Best wishes and enjoy yourselves.

AnswerID: 171379

Follow Up By: ellen m - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 14:48

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 14:48
Thanks for your info Vivian. I heard that the lady from Bowthorn that wrote the book isn't there anymore. i think there are new owners. The lady i have swapped emails with is very nice, so i think it will be as good as in the past.

We hadnt thought of going to einasleigh, thanks for that. When things are in your "back yard" you can sometimes overlook them.

As for the morning glory...i hope to sleep through it. Maybe my husband and son can take a photo of it for me!

Ellen
FollowupID: 426940

Reply By: russ36 - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 22:16

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 22:16
where the road just sth of normanton crosses the flinders river....free camping, isolation,shade, freshwater,barra. when i stayed there the grazier just left the gates open so people could use as they please, and quite a decent stretch of river, not just near the crossing....unusual of land owners to be so tolerant and helpful towards tourists, esp with the garbage some people leave behind
AnswerID: 171434

Follow Up By: ellen m - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 14:51

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 14:51
Thanks Russ

Do you mean the road to Burke and Wills (Burke Developmental Road) or the one that goes to Burketown?

Ellen
FollowupID: 426941

Follow Up By: russ36 - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 15:31

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 15:31
on the road that incorporates the burke and wills roadhouse[btween cloncorry and normanton] i havent been on the one that shoots of north west to burketown..and i might add that as fresh as the water was, swimming is a very bad idea
FollowupID: 427205

Follow Up By: ellen m - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:27

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:27
Thanks russ

We're North Qlders. No swimming for us...we leave it to the tourists !
FollowupID: 427450

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 00:18

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 00:18
Sorry to hear that Dorunda Station is now closed but you will find sone nice free camping spots on the river crossings between Chillagoe and Karumba.Karumba is a great place to spend a few days with good fishing andI would reccomend staying at the Sunset c.p.Escott has been closed for a while which is a shame as is a lovely spot.Ienjoyed Gregory Downs with great food at the pub and camping on the Gregory river.Adels grove is a nice stay for visiting Lawn Hill (a must) but it is a short drive to the park.Kingfiser Camp is right on the river with good fishing if you have a dinghy--take your nets for redclaw.The caravan park has lots of shady sites and is very peacefull.Wollogorang is closed which was no loss to me as I found them most unfriendly.Access to yhe coast at Hells Gate is also closedcunless you can get a contact with the locals at Dooadgee reserve.A place worh visiting is King Ash Bay fishing camp --again if you have a dinghy.It is about 40kms out of Borroloola on good gravel road.Another very nice spot is Loreela Springs where you can get access to the coast.From there heading to Roper Bar is Limmen Bight fishing camp, again on the river with good camping and fishing.From there there is a nice free camp spot at Towns River crossing and at St .Vidgeon Ruins which has a nice big Lagoon.Then comes Roper Bar which has a great Caravan Park on the river.The road out to Port Roper is a bit of a challenge and not much yhere unless you want mud crabs.From PortRoper to Mattaranka there is Elsey N.Park with camping on the river and then you hit civilisation at Mataaranka.
Hope this helps and you will find many other places on your own if you like exploring---cheers!
AnswerID: 171453

Follow Up By: ellen m - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 15:01

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 15:01
Thanks Rambler

Have you camped on the Gilbert Crossing between Karumba and the Dorunda turn off. Is there any fish there?

I'm not upset that we wont be going to Hells Gate ( the most apt name place in australia) I spent a week there 20 yrs ago waiting for a car part to be flown in from Cairns. Only place there were no flys was under the shower. I looked like a sultana by the time we left. I am NEVER going back!

We explored the NT side of the gulf a few years ago. Caught my 1st barra at Roper Bar.
FollowupID: 426943

Reply By: Member - Tim - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:53

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:53
Hi Ellen,

I just got back from Burketown last night. A lot of the roads up that way are still not open. Here is a link to some photos from up there ( Burketown) and on the last two pages there are some photos of the Leichardt Falls. Most of the photos are from early April but I have just added some more from when I went back up to pick up my car and boat. You can see how much silt there is around the crossing across the top of the falls and there is probably damage to the crossing itself. The water in the middle was about 400mm deep still and flowing pretty fast. Those photos were taken on Sunday morning so they are pretty recent. I don't know how far they have to let it go down before they can repair anything and it is definitely not open at the moment. You can also see how much water is going over the falls still as there were four seperate areas that were running water and two of those were pumping a lot of water.

In addition the road from Burketown to Doomadgee is not yet open and there was some flooding in the creeks up that way as recently as about ten days ago. I know that a lot of the salt flat areas up around Burketown would be totally impassable for months yet as there has just been too much water very late in the season thanks to cyclone Larry and a lot of other rain since then as well. Some of the roads that get you to the coast up there would have to go over salt flats and I would be very cautious.

As far as camping goes I saw some places people had been camping on the eastern side of the Leichardt Falls when we were up there last year so I am sure you would be able to set up there.

Lawn Hill is an amazing place and we found Adels Grove to be a good place to camp. The people were friendly and helpful and they run tours to Lawn Hill and to the Riversleigh fossil field if you want to take a break from driving yourself.

Hope that helps some, Tim.
AnswerID: 171966

Sponsored Links