ExplorOz Yalwal trip....

Submitted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 18:56
ThreadID: 33659 Views:3963 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
It was a sunny day in NSW today until the wind picked up around lunch time...now its about to rain...!!

There was a total of 6 4wd's out for a trip and we had a great time. The trip was aimed at people who hadnt taken out their 4wd before and most had piked it and so there was only 1 but boy did the "Playdoe" Prado do well!!!

We had 2x L/C 80 series , GU, GQ, Hilux Trayback and the Prado and none of the cars were stressed on any of the tracks. We had a few hitch hikers and the Prado's side steps hit a rock but other than that there was nothing else....

We met at Yalwal at 9am and after a week of not knowing whether tracks were open or not (depended on who you spoke to) we looked at sme maps and thought of a few tracks to do......but found that gates were open.....

So we did....
the power lines off Deans Gap road. Being power line tracks it was really simple stuff with only a few lumpy sections. Brians Patrol tried to get over a few rocks but couldnt do it....thought he'd try dig some holes for the rest - but then he realised that 4wd might get him over.....then getting around the burnt out car was good fun with a good lumpy rock to miss.

Meeting back up onto Deans Gap Rd before reaching Wombat Flat/Wattle Gum trail. The gate was open so in we went .

The only 'hard' section to the whole day was the hill climb out of here heading to Braidwood Road where it was rocky and rutty but with everyone taking it easy we all did it with no trouble at all....even the "new praso driver and passengers" coped and drove really well!! There was only one rock that was hit and that was the Prado's side step but there was only a scrape underneath...

When we reached the 'mud pit' we found that it was almost dry...only a few weeks ago it was full and a vehicle had to get whinched out of it. There was only a few logs at the bottom but it was all good....3weeks ago it was full and made a goos splash out the sides...no snorkels needed...not that bad....

After stopping for lunch(with Wisey pulling the bbq out!!) for a while up the top we headed to Braidwood Road where we said good buy to one of the Patrols and one of the 80's and the rest of us heading down Cassia Fire Trail..

Cassia is a great tracks for motorbike with woopies everywhere you look....with lots of little rocks it was just easy going. After a right turn at the first intersection we felt like we were heading down the freeway with the track only just being graded. There was a small creek crossing that just got the dirt and mud off our tread. We met up with 'Hawthorn' and turned right followed that for a bit with that being a nice track easy as!!

Then there was 'Spotted Gum'....I was driving and Nathan told me that the map shows that it gets pretty steep...I just kept going and didnt think any thing of it until we were half way up a hill climb and all of a sudden it got steeper and steeper..then realised that we were still in high - there was n stopping!We managed in high 2nd and met 4 bikes also on their way up. It was push and shuv with one of the bikes - both of us not being able to stop or move over and the bike hesitating to go for but eventually did. There was no way we were going to stop - even all the breaks in the world wouldnt have stopped us from sliding.....till we heard that the Prado had picked up a hitch hiker and the 3 4b's had to stop..we were already up the top so we had no worries....but they got going with no problems...

It was the onto Messmate and then to 12 Mile Road which was only less than 1km from the Princes Hwy south of the Sussex Inlet Turn off....

Maps we used were Yalwal , Sassafrass and Tianjara Topographics.....

Everyone enjoyed the day out....and there are plans for June Long weekend down at Bendethra.......

Hope everyone enjoyed the Sunday Drive as much as we did....sorry you couldnt make it Wayne.....

Laura and Nathan B

!MPG:8!!MPG:9!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Laura B - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 18:58

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 18:58
Hit the wrong button....heres some more photos....!MPG:10!!MPG:11!!MPG:9!!MPG:10!
AnswerID: 171348

Follow Up By: Laura B - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 19:06

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 19:06
Gotmore photos to load but all my 12 are locked to threads...and i cannt figure out ow toget them the other way....help guys!!!!

Laura
FollowupID: 426798

Reply By: Laura B - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 19:12

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 19:12
!MPG:12!!MPG:13!
AnswerID: 171351

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:11

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:11
Sounds and looks like you had a great time Laura. Photos are great.

About two months ago we were coming home from Queensland, trying to take as many side trips as possible in a couple of days (had to get back for work). Anyway, we camped at Wombeyan Caves and came out on the road that goes through the tunnel in the mountain. Beautiful scenery along there. We came down to Nowra on bitumen but left it for the road across to Braidwood. I think it's called the Turpentine Road. It was raining and a bit sloshy but good going. Would love to get back there some day for a real look around. I think that is the area around which you have been doing all your drives. We got to Nerriga and had the biggest and best hamburger ever!! You have a beautiful part of the world to live in.

I live in the Wimmera/Mallee area of Victoria. If you ever want to get down and have a look around .... give me a hoy!!

Best wishes
AnswerID: 171374

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 13:07

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 13:07
That way to Wombeyan is a doozy hey!!! Great scenery but hang going off that cliff if another car comes!!!

Turpie Rd as we locals call it - is known for smashing shocks through the roof!! Literally!! Its usually a good ride , can sit on 80 + km most of the ay to Braidwood....

The pub at nerriga is must for those hamburgers!!! We'd stop in thereon the way home after going out stirring up the wildlife!!! (if you know what i mean)

That old wooden seat thats on the left of the verandah near the pub door - my great grandfather had teeth pulled out sitting there many moons ago!! and slept in the post office i think it was...the shop on the right of the verandah.....

If we are ever in your part of the world Ill let ya know....same goes here too!!!

Laura
FollowupID: 426912

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 16:11

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 16:11
Did that trip to Wombeyan a few (hundred) years ago on a push bike.

We came through the tunnel from the Mittagong side nad then screamed (literally) all the way down to the river. Never did see the scenery.

I slammed the armco on the approach the the cattle grid at the bottom, one guy could not make the corner onto the bridge so went up the driveway opposite, hit the gate and fell off, but the biggest chear was for the guy who could not make the turn onto the bridge but thought he could. He ended up in the river. He was very cold but the rest of us could see the funny side. No one got hurt and there was no serious damage to the bikes but there are certain things that you just don't tell your mum.

It's a truly beautiful part of the world and the pics bring pack fond memories of 4wd trips gone by.

Duncs
FollowupID: 426955

Reply By: brian - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:33

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:33
Hello Laura,thanks for taking the trouble to organise the trip we all had a good time,it was great to meet you all,looking forward to the next one.
AnswerID: 171384

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 13:17

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 13:17
No prob. Will do another one one day somewhere maybe towards milton - there's heaps that way!!

We arent going to be able to do Bendethera on the long weekend...Nathan cannt get it off work..too many others going away!! DOH !! Gotta love shift work

I can put it up still and see if anyone is interested ...... Waynes gotta decide - CSR or Bendethera.....

let us know if you want me to post it up....

Laura
FollowupID: 426917

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 13:19

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 13:19
we got a good chunk taken out of the back left tyre as well as 2 slits - not deep and the front left has wood stuck all between the rim and tyre.....lucky!!

Laura
FollowupID: 426918

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 08:53

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 08:53
Good to hear the tracks were open.
AnswerID: 171475

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 13:20

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 13:20
Not for long though according to unreliable sources!!

Laura
FollowupID: 426920

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 09:01

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 09:01
Laura,

Sounds like you had a good time.

The long weekend in June at Bendethra.

I will have to make a decision on that one.

Bendethra or the Canning Stock Route

Wayne
AnswerID: 171477

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 13:23

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 13:23
We are going to be able to make Bendethera...Nathan cannt get the weekend off so we are out but I may be able to put something up still if people are interested...Brian and Wisey want to go.....Maybe sort something out with them.....

If we were a little more set up and knew what we were doing I'd tackle that CSR!!!
But i guess youve done it 101 times!!LOL!!

laura
FollowupID: 426922

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 15:59

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 15:59
Laura,

Bendethera I have done a few times, but this will be my second CSR.

If you want to do the CSR allow about 9 months of planning and vehicle preparation. You will also have to work out how to carry about 350lt of petrol.

Wayne
FollowupID: 426953

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 16:41

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 16:41
Great report Laura
Thanks again. :)
Who's the fat guy stuffing his face??
Not sure about Bendethera, might have to work some magic. Having a wk off 22/5 down at Jindabyne so might be pushing it just a little LOL
Happy and clapping, no bent panels LOL and thanks for clearing the track, hope your tyres aren't badly damaged.
Andy
AnswerID: 171534

Reply By: steve21 - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 20:32

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 20:32
Hi Laura & Nathan,
thanks for great weekend, "good fun" have borrowed a few pics!
thanks again
steve. :-)
AnswerID: 171596

Sponsored Links