Googs track

Submitted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:44
ThreadID: 33664 Views:2004 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

Just planning a trip to Googs track. I have been told the track is possible on road tyres (one vehicle is a Prado with factory tyres) is this true?
Any comments on track condition and other info on this track would be greatly appreciated.....

Mick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddy doe (SA) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:58

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:58
Hiya,

Did this track over Easter in my Prado that has Cooper ATR's on, but we also had a Pajero with stock geolanders on. He got one flat but they did not have a great deal of tread left to start with and the flat was on the leadup road from Mt Ive to Kingoonya. We also had a 90 Prado that had the Grandtreks on it and it had no drama.

Most of the track is sand and many people will tell you that road tyres actually do quite well in sand.

Would say 'go for it' but think about taking a 2nd spare.

Muddy
AnswerID: 171395

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:00

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:00
I did Googs on a set of GrandTreks once. They are actually good tyres for that sort of terrain - just corrugations and sand.
AnswerID: 171397

Reply By: jdpatrol - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:03

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:03
Mick
We did Googs (south to north) a bit over a week ago , and do a fair amount of off-roading on sand. Road tyres generally not bad on sand as long as you get pressures down. Track condition is quite poor so that makes it even more important to have low pressures.

Also, I didn’t feel as vulnerable to side wall punctures as you do along Border track but still its very remote country - take 2 spares each I reckon. We came down through Gawler Ranges, and along Yardea road it was ‘gibber’ terrain and I wouldn’t feel comfortable there with road tyres.

We had no trouble ‘walking’ the vehicle up each dune - took care not to spin the wheels at all so hopefully left track in no worse condition.

Anyway, we had a great trip so I hope you do too. Reckon track is a gem.

JD

AnswerID: 171399

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:16

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:16
i was part of Muddy's crew and we did the track north south which i think is the better although not recommended way to go. The condition of the dunes on the southern side is terrible due to the idiots unlike yourself who use too high pressures and hop their way over. Its a good fun track, not too challenging at all , just fun.
FollowupID: 426834

Follow Up By: Muddy doe (SA) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:16

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:16
Yes, track is very good place to go for scenery and a slice of sund dune style driving.

As JD has said make sure you run correct tyre pressures. Makes ALL the difference to a smooth ride and not doing damae to dunes with wheelspin.

We actually travelled North to South (6 vehicles) and it was amazing to see the damage caused by people having spun the wheels up the southern faces. We had terrific smooth runs up the Northern sides before walking the vehicles slowly down the other sides bouncing side to side in the scallops of the wheel ruts that are characteristic of people gunning it to the top with wheels spinning with high pressures in them.

As we came down the dunes we also had a bit of a bulldozer effect pushing sand into the holes. The lead vehicle reported a lot of rocking while by the time the tail end vehicle got there the track was a bit better. We passed only 3 other groups in 2 days so this was not a real problem. An experienced driver was up front with a high flag and scanning UHF so we did not have any surprises.

Really recommend camping at Mt Finke - was a nice camground (but no facilities). We had very enjoyable trip.

Muddy
FollowupID: 426835

Reply By: jdpatrol - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:20

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:20
I reckon that's a good point Brew. Whilst they recommend south to north if everyone did north to south for a while the track would improve on the south side of dunes.
AnswerID: 171409

Follow Up By: Ken - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 12:46

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 12:46
I reckon it is necessary to have 2 way traffic over these sorts of tracks. Then there is at least some sort of 'repair' done to the damge done by ratbags who won't let their tyres down and haveno idea how to drive in sand.
The Border Track is living proff of the need for 2 way traffic but thanks to the fools who control it and their equally foolish advisors we now have a one way track being chopped to bits. When it is opened that is !
Ken
FollowupID: 426909

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 19:30

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 19:30
Ken,
Not sure whether you've done Googs track, but to make it 2-way, you'd have to bulldoze another track. Its hemmed in by thick vegetation.
FollowupID: 427006

Reply By: Trevor M (SA) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 22:56

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 22:56
have done it both ways now. Not too challenging in either direction although I must say the second time was easier going North to South brcause of the ruts on the south side of the dunes. I have road tyres and you won't have a problem.

Trev
AnswerID: 171443

Reply By: DesC - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 18:51

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 18:51
towed a camper trailer through there a couple of years ago (pretty easy going).
AnswerID: 171780

Sponsored Links