around Oz with kids

Submitted: Monday, May 08, 2006 at 15:52
ThreadID: 33683 Views:2559 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys
First time user, we have decided that we are going to do a trip around Oz over 12 months with our kids aged 4 & 6. We plan to leave from Cairns at the end of the year.
We have already done numerous trips around the Gulf country with a Triton dual cab and camper trailer.
But we feel we need to up grade to a bigger 4WD and caravan and would like to pick someones brain that could help us out in our choices or direction we should head in and any other pitfalls to look out for when planning a big trip like this.
Thanks
Richard & Tiana
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TonyT - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 16:39

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 16:39
Well it's only a thought but stay with the rig and spend the extra money on trips around, flights, treats etc etc etc have a great trip
AnswerID: 171533

Follow Up By: Newto - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 16:50

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 16:50
Thanks Tony
Our concern was setting up the trailer over and over again for 12 months.
FollowupID: 426964

Follow Up By: TonyT - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 16:55

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 16:55
Ah yes- makes a lot of sense- you can see who has no daughter living at home anymore...
FollowupID: 426966

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 17:13

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 17:13
Upsizing will give you more comfort and space, and the kids will travel for longer without argueing. You will be more refreshed, able to leap tall deserts in a single bound etc.
But it will cost $$ for the upgrade, extra bits you'll "need" and fuel.
How reliable and useful is your current setup ? If it's reasonable why not do it in shorter hops, camp when necessary and have a motel occasionally. You can spend all that $$ when you get there. Plus you'll have some "just in case."
If money's no object then forget the above and go for it :))
AnswerID: 171539

Follow Up By: Newto - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 17:19

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 17:19
Thanks Footloose
Money is always an object with kids. definatley food for thought though
FollowupID: 426974

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 17:24

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 17:24
True ! The bad news is that they cost more when they get older !
FollowupID: 426976

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 20:32

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 20:32
Yo Newto,

We have a campertrailer and camping group just started in Cairns and you would be welcome. No fees, no meetings just fun...

Let me know if interested thru this forum...

Grrr!!!
FollowupID: 427020

Follow Up By: Newto - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 09:03

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 09:03
Crazy Dog
Sounds great, would love to know more about the group.
Were of to Einsaleigh for 2 weeks camping on the river in about 7 weeks time.
Look forward to hearing from you.
FollowupID: 427106

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:29

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:29
Yo Newto,

Let's have your email address...

Grrr!!!
FollowupID: 427221

Follow Up By: Newto - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:31

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:31
cairns@sportspower.com.au
FollowupID: 427411

Reply By: DB - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 12:02

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 12:02
Hi there, we are currently 6 months into a trip with 4 kids, and intend to do another 6 months, to Cape York and back over the winter. We started from Fremantle and are currently in Lismore area.

We have kids aged 10, 8 and twins 4yrs. We bought a 100 series landcruiser and have 3 people in front bench, three in middle and whole of back as luggage. (Not to mention roofrack and gear bag up top). We have a CampRite camper trailer, sleeps the six of us off the ground, no floor to peg out, folds out and has steps into it, plus fold out galley.

We have found that moving on every day is very tiring, both from the 'pack up' point of view, and the time travelling in the car. At present, our mode is to stay at least two nights in one place - that way the kids (and adults) always get a day that is just free play, no travel, not usually any car time, and not needing to pack up. Often, we discover we stay in places from 4-5 nights, as we find so many beautiful spots that we love!

We have at times had to "make some ground" and so moved on every day (eg travelling south from Ayers Rock late october, was getting hot, we wanted to get to Adelaide), and we can do the set up every day stuff - what we usually do is pack the car well, and only half unpack each night - eg only get out 2 chairs, not 6; don't un-hook the vehicle etc.

There are a few times I would have thanked god for a caravan, as we could have stopped, opened a door and been "in" and settled, even though our camper only takes 10 minutes to set up. The trick is not to arrive too late with hungry cold kids, and to arrive in time to eyeball a site to pick a good set-up spot. Our worst times are when it is raining BEFORE we get somewhere - we can stay dry once we are set up, but no-one wnats to run around putting things up in the rain. Also, as our cooker is outside the camper (ie a swing out), there are the odd times we can't cook if it is raining (and we are often too lazy to put up the awning unless we plan to stay more than 2 nights.) We make a point if travelling with lots of good snack food in the car, and occasionally fill up on pies or hamburgers if we know we are going to arrive at our spot late-ish (say after 5pm), or if it is raining. but of course, mostly we are travelling in places to avoid the rainy season so that is not a major issue.

wind and outdoor weather sometimes wear me down - I have discovered doing school work with the boys is more difficult outdoors, as there is nearly always some breeze, or sun that distrurbs their bookwork. We've solved that by mainly not doing any school work when we are on the move, and catching up when we stop at relatives places.

We are heading up north now, leaving the Lismore area on the weekend and coming up to Cairns over the next 6 weeks - our email is: XXXlizdave@space.net.au if you want to email to get in touch.
(Drop the three XXXfirst).

It's been fabulous so far, so have fun planning your trip!

LIZ
AnswerID: 171689

Follow Up By: Newto - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 12:46

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 12:46
Hi Liz
I will email you our details would love to catch up.
Richard
FollowupID: 427164

Reply By: roblin - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 16:13

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 16:13
Richard and Tania,
have a look at this website www.trip.brumler.com/ These people went around the block with kids in a CT and with a Mitsubishi Challenger. Not too far removed from what you intend to do. the site is a veritable minefield of information including their diaries, photos, problems, etc. they also have an e-mail contact.

My wife and I constantly plan to do what you are about to do. We have young kids but also have one in year 11 and another in year 8 - the important high school years, so we won't go until they are out of HS. Young kids will only be 8 and 9 then. We had a Cavalier CT but just sold it for an old Millard 16 ft van with bunks. We thought the easy nighttime setup would be helpful with kids and schooling although I do regret getting rid of the CT. Tenst will be the order of the day for off road.

Hope the link above helps. Save your money and use what you have. If needs be, spend on the essential items for your vehicle and camper rather than spending money on upgrades and also putting more stamp duty in the govt coffers. Also be realistic about what and where you want and will go. This will predicate your vehicle and CT needs.

Cheers. I'm jealous

Rob

AnswerID: 171733

Follow Up By: Newto - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:35

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:35
Hi Rob
Thanks for the tip, a really good site.
We have been saying it for years also but just bit the bullet and decided we are going.
FollowupID: 427416

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 16:27

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 16:27
Richard and Tiana, you have some great replies from people here and I had to chip in to support the majority vote to stick with what you've got. I would add that the switch from CT to Cvan would limit your access and over 12mths Australiawide you may regret that. Best of luck with your trip - hope to see you back on the site planning your trip. Take a look in the left margin under Topic Search, there are tons of pages relevant to you, Trips with Kids, and various trailer and cvan articles to guide your thinking.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 171739

Follow Up By: Newto - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:40

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:40
Thank you for all the advice.
I think I have gone through the whole site twice full of great info.
Thanks again
FollowupID: 427417

Reply By: Bitchin Bishi - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 19:11

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 19:11
Richard + Tiana
My wife and i are taking our daughter (8) around Australia for a year or so at the end of this year also. We are taking a Duel Cab Triton (Diesel) and Camper Trailer. I know that it is going to be a pain setting up and pulling it down all of the time, but i think the off-road capabilities would far outway those of a caravan.
We just got the information for our daughters distance education today, that loks like hard work (for me).
On the direction choice, we are heading south, because there is a chance that it will be cooler going that direction. Hopefully by june/july we will be up around Alice Springs, and it will be warmer (sounds good in theory hey).
If there is anything i can help with, or information that i can share, please contact me. I have a pile of information scanned and downloaded on the computer (ie. travel destinations) if you want a copy.
Good luck, and have a ball.
Greg
AnswerID: 171788

Follow Up By: Newto - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:54

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:54
Hi Greg
I have spoken to a few people about our kids education req. and all say home schooling was a better method of education whislt doing a trip like this. like you they found distance ed to hard to manage.
It would be great to swap planning info. and see how your travelling.
cairns@sportspower.com.au
Can help you out with best spots in FNQ.
Richard
FollowupID: 427420

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:11

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:11
June/July in Alice Springs is NOT warm! Nights are usually at or below freezing but the days are good.
FollowupID: 427428

Sponsored Links