Front recovey points

Submitted: Monday, May 08, 2006 at 17:05
ThreadID: 33686 Views:1800 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi peoples,

i was wondering if there was anyone out there with a 90 series prado and have connected a front recovery point. I was going to put on the rated hooks from ARB but there doesnt seem to be a spot for them. Spoke to ARB and they said they have to make one up for this model and that it would cost about $250. Is this the case or has someone done it with the $17 bolt on hooks. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 18:59

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 18:59
Do a search here, it has been posted before, a place in Melbournes West makes them. Hope that helps?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 171559

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 19:01

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 19:01
On the 90series you bolt the 10,000lb aftermarket hooks directly to the underside of the chassis. Just need to buy the correct thread bolts - 12x1.25mm thread and about 2.5inch long from memory.

Your ARB man is mixed up with the 120 series.

If you can't readily access the two holes on each side for the hooks, it will be because you've got the factory bullbar. The factory bullbar required removal of the RHS hook and tiedowns on both side - totally stupid design.

Pretty much every aftermarket bullbar will allow for the fitting of the aftermarket hooks with the 35mm spaced bolt holes.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 171560

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 19:05

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 19:05
Yep ARB are confused. I put a second hook on the front of my 90 series. It bolts straight into the holes in the chassis rails. Got the thing from TJM in a kit

Rob
AnswerID: 171561

Reply By: Craigww2 - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 08:55

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 08:55
I am hearing the same thing about my LC100 need to buy special hooks to suit. At least they are only $85 for a pair and they replace the original tie down points.
AnswerID: 171659

Reply By: Pots - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 11:01

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 11:01
Hey Thanks heaps guys, Phil i do have a factory bullbar on the front so does this mean that i cant fit the hooks or is it just a matter of drilling new holes? I dont really wont to buy a whole new bullbar unless i really need to. (would be nice though)
Rob do you remember how much the kit from TJM was?

Cheers,
AnswerID: 171684

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 12:04

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 12:04
Pots,

It becomes difficult. The hooks don't fit because the factory bullbar mount is in the way. You can't cut the bullbar mounts for obvious reasons.

I have seen the hooks attached to the bullbar mounts by drilling two holes thru the mount. I personally wouldn't trust this, as the most secure recovery hook is always one that is directly bolted to the chassis, and the 90series Prado is one of the few vehicles with the correctly spaced holes. But I have seen it done by reputable companies.

I personally would sell the bullbar and get an aftermarket one, but I am usually a bit over the top, when it comes to recovery points and safety.

Whichever way you go, its always nice to have two recovery points on the front, and then you can use an equalisation strap for the extra safety that offers.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 427158

Reply By: Pots - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 13:19

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 13:19
ok thanks heaps Phil, i think i will look into getting a new bullbar and go from there.

cheers
AnswerID: 171700

Follow Up By: Kiwi Kia - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:33

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:33
You may be interested in a couple of test results on some recovery hooks that were carried out last week. A test mounting was made up and several brands of hooks bolted down to simulate being mounted on a vehicle. They were taken to a commercial testing rig and pulled to destruction. We did this as we want all recovery hooks used by our club members to fail by unwinding and not snapping. If a hook unwinds and lets the strap go at least you only have a strap flying through the air. If the hook breaks then you will get a chunk of metal flying through the air - not good ! We demand forged not cast hooks but it is often hard to tell how a hook is manufactured.

A hook from SuperCheap (painted black) with 4,500 kg stamped on the side reached its limit ok but when it did fail it snapped and metal flew !!

A Black Rat hook (also painted black) with 10,000 lb stamped on it also reached its rated value before failure but then it also snapped and metal flew again.

The other brands we tested unwound (or straightened out) and released the rope.

Lucky these test rigs use a safety cage.

We also tested (straight pull) a couple of pintal hooks to WELL over 10,000 lb's - no problems. I will let interested people know the exact results if they want them.

By the way, the tow ball we tested sheared as expected and really flew into the safety cage.
FollowupID: 427303

Sponsored Links