Trip to Fraser island this September

Submitted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 08:53
ThreadID: 33707 Views:2470 Replies:11 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We are planning our big trip for the year - visiting fraser island this September, departing Melbourne a week before the Victorian holidays begin to get a jump on the crowds.

We have two boys aged 8 and 10 that are very excited about the trip, we plan to stop for a day in Dubbo to show them the zoo on the way up (we will head up the Newell hwy) over five days hoping to make it onto Fraser on morning of the sixth day.

Hoping not to return via the same route - you may have some suggestions for the return route bearing in mind we will have two boys on board that will no doubt; by this stage be very tired of the car. Is there anything of particular interest such as the Dubbo zoo between Melbourne and Fraser?

Also will anyone else be heading up to Fraser during September - I have aspirations of driving to the northern tip of the island but I would not attempt this alone. If anyone else finds themself in this situation maybe we can get in touch and plan a day trip from our camp sites. We expect to be on the island between the 15th and the 25th of September.

Thanks in advance
Rod
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brian - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 09:54

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 09:54
Dont worry about going to northern tip you will not be alone plenty of other people will be there to assist if you need it ,only one tricky part but low tyre pressures will see you through,the tip is spectacular unlike anywhere else,as usual take food and water etc.The fishing is outstanding at this time of year.There will be thousands of visitors in sept but the island is so big you shouldnt feel crowded except at favourite spots eg lake mackenzie,eli creek,central station.Take as much food and alcohol as you can from mainland to save on costs,all provisions are avail on the island just expensive.
where are you staying?????do you have a camper ????????
AnswerID: 171673

Follow Up By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 10:59

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 10:59
Hi,

Thanks for your response, we have not decided on the best camp spot at this stage -the campfire is certainly an issue but whether it is enough of an issue to make it worthwhile staying in one of the camp sites is another matter. I searched out a post suggesting "Ocean lake" as a great place to stay, also there is Waddy, or my favourite - a nice secluded site just off the beach.

Yes we have a camper trailer to take along - gave up trying to get all the families gear into the car especially after loading and the kids run out saying can we take our bikes....can we take...can we take....

Rod
FollowupID: 427137

Follow Up By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 11:24

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 11:24
Well thats Waddy out of the equation:

"Management controls In Queensland, waters are closed to fishing during September in the vicinity of Waddy Point and Indian Head at Fraser Island"
FollowupID: 427148

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 13:11

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 13:11
You can't camp at Ocean Lake itself but there's some good spots just where the track leaves the beach, in behind the dunes, or about 3-400metres south of the access track, just off the beach. You can fish right in front of your campsite :-))
FollowupID: 427168

Follow Up By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 13:19

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 13:19
John,

These are the sites I was particularily interested in, I read a post on here some time ago describing how pleasant it is to wake in the morning to a refreshing swim or to rinse the sand and dust off at the end of the day.

Have you camped at this location, was it a battle to secure a site?

Rod
FollowupID: 427171

Follow Up By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 13:22

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 13:22
RExcuse my ignorance but regarding the fees at Cathedral Beach camp ground, is this an extra $18:00 per night in addition to the standard fees payable to camp on the Island or do they simply replace the standard fees?

Rod
FollowupID: 427173

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 13:39

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 13:39
We allways camp at the site just south of the Ocean Lake track. Never had any problems getting a good site, (we try never to go in the holidays) and is close enough to Ocean Lake to go for a refreshing fresh water dip in the late afternoon to rinse off the salt, and also to use the Dunnies.... SWMBO and Princess don't take kindly to the shovel routine ;-))

One point to consider though, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, as it's your first trip to Fraser, if you want to spend a lot of time exploring then you'de be better off camping further south, as that's where all the tracks and lakes are. Can chew up a lot of juice and you have to dodge the tides to get anywhere south from Ocean.
Lots of good spots on the beach all the way up the island.

FollowupID: 427176

Follow Up By: brian - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:33

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:33
From memory if you declare that you are staying at cathedralyou dont pay the nat park fee but check first in case im wrong.
FollowupID: 427225

Reply By: zook - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 11:29

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 11:29
You won't have any trouble getting up to the top (but if you are going straight up the beach to sandy cape watch the tides.) the bypass road that goes round the rocks can be VERY soft we were up there (suzuki jimny and suzuki vitara) in february, and the by pass was very very soft, it was getting late and we didn't want to be stuffing around with tyre pressures at night. Were a couple of landcruiser utes stuck in the bypass as well (theyhad to winch each other out)

Had a chat to the bar man at orchard beach, he reckons that to go over the by pass he let his tyres down to 12-14psi, so pretty low. (he drove a landcruiser ute).

Beach camping is awesome (and there shouldn't be march flies so you'll have a great time!).

There is a lot of traffic up there so if you get stuck someone will be around to help you out.

zook
AnswerID: 171687

Reply By: brian - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 12:35

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 12:35
Also where you camp has a bearing on what day trips you want to do,if you want to see most attractions could i suggest camping near the maheno to cathedral beach area gives you shorter day trips to all major attractions and cathedral has a good general store for ice blocks/icecreams for the kids and most other provisions including fuel and alcohol,also if it is really windy on the beach you can move camp up to cathedral beach park.
Its a long day trip from say waddy point to central station and kingfisher and expensive on fuel,also you are less dependand on tides if you camp centrallyHave a great trip im jealous.
AnswerID: 171692

Follow Up By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 12:41

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 12:41
Hi,

Thanks for your information Jim, I will investigate the sites you have mentioned - maybe I can finally start setting some of my plans into concrete as it were.

Rod
FollowupID: 427163

Follow Up By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:28

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:28
Brian,

Sorry about the name mix up, just noticed it as I read through - not sure where I got Jim from. Cathedral looks great but maybe the beach would be nice, think I am spoilt for choice!

Rod
FollowupID: 427301

Reply By: age - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 13:33

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 13:33
Rokkitt

The fishing restrictions you refer to will not hinder you if staying at Waddy. The beach is closed to fishing only 400m north of the headland. Plenty of gutters along that beach to get into the fish. Tailor should still be running strong in September and plenty of other rock structure to fish off at Ngkala Rocks etc. Go to the Cape it is very pleasant and away from the bulk of tourists. Just let tyres well down for Ngkala blow
AnswerID: 171706

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 15:41

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 15:41
Qld school holidays are 23/9 to 8/10.

May be a bit busy then, outside those times, should be great.

If we go for a week or more, we sometimes move around the island having a few days at 2 or 3 spots.

Tides are critical for moving around. High tide in the middle of the day and you are using tracks or the back of the beach if you have to travel, and not doing the 80km/hr on the hard sand. If high tide in the middle of the day we sit it out and enjoy the local scenery or only do short trips in the 4wd.

Good time of the year too.
AnswerID: 171725

Follow Up By: brian - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:37

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:37
Dont forget to take 20 litre water drum and hose so that you can refil the watertank on the camper you will not camp near a tap.
FollowupID: 427228

Follow Up By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:00

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:00
We are leaving victoria on the 9th so we avoid some of the crowds at least, I debated visiting Moreton but decided we must see Fraser!

Moving around is difficult when the wife comes along - really cant believe she needs all those tables....:)

Almost shaking with excitement and I have 3 months to go......

Good point with the water container Brian, thanks.

FollowupID: 427280

Reply By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:09

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:09
Thanks for all the information here, I really cannot wait to leave...how long was it again? Bugger it's still 3 months.

Any suggestions for my return journey including something for the kidss? we are travelling up on the Newell Highway stopping for a day in Dubbo to visit the zoo as well as a couple of overnight stops in between.

Nervous about travelling up to the top alone especially with the family and my pride ad joy "the car" so if anyone is going to be heading that way please let me know - I am an active member of a victorian 4wd club but my sand diving experience is certainly not vast; I am aware of convoy procedures, radio usage and snatch recoveries. I will do the trip alone but I would feel more comfortable with another vehicle or three.

Rod
AnswerID: 171810

Reply By: HJ60-2H - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:12

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:12
Gold Coast and the Theme Parks are a great diversion/reward for kids on the way home. They do cost $$$ however.
AnswerID: 171811

Follow Up By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:35

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:35
We treated the young fellas to the theme parks last year, flew up (saw nothing) and then went to the parks - it was there break from all the camping we do. Funny though it was my wife's suggestion hen I think about it....I was thinking of something they will keep with them like "Dubbo Zoo".

I understand we can drive South down the beach from Rainbow - does anyone know how long this will take and how far we could travel? can we actually drive south on this section of coast?

Studying maps as I type.

Rod
FollowupID: 427304

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 08:50

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 08:50
You can drive south as far as the Noosa river. Then you go back on the black stuff. The rocks at Rainbow can be a show stopper though. Check conditions carefully. If in doubt, DONT!!!! Those rocks have claimed more 4WDs then Wanless wreckers....

At the moment they're pretty iffy, but conditions will probably change quite a bit by September.
FollowupID: 427368

Reply By: Rigor - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 08:15

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 08:15
Hi Rod , yes you can drive south from Rainbow but sometimes the rocks (Mudlo rocks) at Rainbow can be impasable . If this is the case you can head inland for a few Ks and turn left on the freshwater track which will take you to the beach south of double is. point via freshwater camping area, then a straight run to the barge at the north shore of the Noosa river . This may give you a chance to check out the Sunshine coast as you head back down.

Cheers Dave L.
AnswerID: 171868

Reply By: brian - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 08:26

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 08:26
If you do the theme parkshow about stopping at lightning ridge on the way back just a thought...heaps to see and do,gives a small taste of the outback...
AnswerID: 171870

Follow Up By: Rokkitt - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:54

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:54
Ah yes - Lightning ridge, good thinking.

Rod
FollowupID: 427395

Reply By: Member - Ken J (QLD) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 09:32

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 09:32
Hullo to Rokkitt & all Forumites
Have finally gotten around to my first post post on this great forum. I feel I may have something of use to contribute so here goes.
Will be heading off to Fraser Fri 19th May to 26th (TOYOTA fishing comp) to Run Radios in Maritime Safety Centre Qld located on Waddy Beach(.Boats log on log of daily) Up to 180 boats on water on good days
Have been doing this gig for 10 years now with my mate Bob (voluntary Slaves)
Have Posted several photos ( more later)
Rokkitt, u may be aware some or all of the following
1/ Normal road rules apply with 80klm/ hr speed limit
2/ slow down for ALL water runouts/ gutters on the beach (front end ripper outs)
3/ Watch out for Beach fishermen , People gathering pipis , ESPECIALLY kids playing on the beach & 4wd vehicles with loads of backpackers
4/ Keep left & use your indicators to oncoming traffic
5/ assume u are coming from Rainbow Beach / Hook Point, Good camp spot just south of the barge loading point. Hook Point Cheapest barge crossing--($135 from Hervey Bay )
6/ Wherever u camp on Fraser U will need permit from Possum police /cum Tree huggers
7/ Make sure u are in 4wd before coming off barge Drop tyre pressures to 22/24psi
8/ If unsure of Tackling By passes/ rocks / jump ups /Indian head to Waddy track, pick aspot out of the traffic & observe Traffic up generally has right of way
9/ Check with Orchid Beack store before going North of Nargala Rocks9Usually good fishing spot
PLACES TO SEE-- Eli Creek ( have a swim if u are related to Eskimos)
Maheno wreck ( U can`t miss it)-- Champagne pools -- Nth of Indain Hd -
Sorry Must go now , Rokkit if I can b of further help please Email me or phone
Going away 28th May but should be bach home in H Bay by early Sept Wioll post some more photos when i get back from Fraser Hope this has been some help Happy Planning K J
!MPG:4!
AnswerID: 171885

Follow Up By: Rokkitt - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:59

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:59
Thanks for this Ken, lots to digest!

Point 2 - I understand you only slow for the ones that cannot be jumped at speed.....lol

I will look forward to you returning from the Island with some fabulous stories and tips. Bit rough having to wortk in a place that!

Rod
FollowupID: 427397

Reply By: lbudgie - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 00:11

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 00:11
Rokkitt.
Just got back from a Queensland trip on Monday. Drove up the Newell stoped the first night in Coonabarabran. There is a Chinese restaurant on the left as you come into town. It’s a largish, nice looking place. best Chinese that the wife and I have ever had.
Second night we got to brisvagas, and stayed for a few days with friends. When we left there we drove to nossa. The info centre directed us with a free map to the barge to cross the river. $5.00 one way, goes constantly from one side to the other. about 200 yards be for the barge is the Queensland what ever they are called office that you get your vehicle and camping pass and a very very basic map of the island ( I bought a proper Hema map of the island much better). aprox 4 km after the barge you get to the beach. I let my tyres down to aprox 17 psi. A bit chopped up on the soft stuff at the approach to the beach (about 30 meters), but a bit of momentum in 4wd and no probs. the actual beach is very hard and smooth.
Drove I think aprox 40 km from memory and had to use the "freshwater" track as it was too high a tide for the rocks. again exit from beach (as all exits from all beaches on this trip were) war a bit chopped up, but again a bit of momentum and no probs. actually I did a couple of beach entries in 2wd as I for got to lock it in after driving on the bichy in the town. Got on the barge at inskip point. $75 one way or $100 if buying a return ticket. Plenty of momentum when driving off the barge again.
We camped at kingfisher for three nights (room 112 actually)
Petrol was $1.50. Left on the barge from kingfisher $120(I think) one way. Drove on forwards and had to reverse of as it only loads from one end. Have to pree book this one as it only levees here 3 times a day.
Went up to Bundy. Then drove down the coast staying at Byron bay (a must as one night we ate dinner in a restaurant with Mick dohan) the kids can learn to surf here.
Also stayed at Coffs harbour. Went out on charter fishing and caught some snapper and a few Hugh flathead.
When you are north of brissy, stop at some road side stalls that sell fruit and get some "roughie" pineapples. We got 2 for 39 cents each and they were the sweetest pineapples we ever had. No acid burning your tong as the usually do.
When at Coffs harbour, empty your fridge and fill it with bananas, about $2.00/kg and bring them back ti Victoria where they are now $10/kg and it should pay for your trip.
Don’t worry about driving on the sand, I had never really done it before, but it’s easy as, just take a snatch strap use some smarts

AnswerID: 172066

Sponsored Links