Parabudoo

Submitted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 14:24
ThreadID: 33720 Views:3483 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
What a strange name. Anyway I'm consider visiting son there later in the year. He tells me there's a camping ground etc. (He's down in Kal at the moment but will be back there for a while..poor sod)
My maps are not great for WA. What is the fastest (tar?) way in from Headland and out to Perth ? Is it a closed mining town or can anyone visit ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SmithyWA - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 14:33

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 14:33
Anyone can visit "Para". Best way on the tar from Headland would be down the great northern till you get to the Tom Price turn off then in towards Tom Price then branch left to Para.( right takes you to TP)

Cheers

Smithy
AnswerID: 171716

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 14:59

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 14:59
Thanks, appreciate it.
FollowupID: 427198

Follow Up By: Pilbara Wayne - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 19:37

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 19:37
If you are going from Hedland make sure you take the second turn off to Tom Price, the one south of Auski Roadhouse, otherwise you end up at Wittenoom and on the gravel to Tom Price.
Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 427257

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 15:47

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 15:47
Just in case you would like to know....

PARABURDOO
Latitude : 23 12 S Longitude : 117 40 E

The townsite of Parraburdoo is located in the Pilbara region, 1536 km north of Perth and 79 km south of Tom Price. It was developed as a company mining town for the nearby iron ore deposits by Hamersley Iron Pty Ltd in the early 1970's, and was gazetted a townsite in 1972. The name is of Aboriginal origin, said to mean "feathered meat", perhaps a reference to large numbers of sulphur crested cockatoo's in the area.

Site Link

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 171726

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 20:28

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 20:28
mmm.. the DLI's speal on PARABURDOO above which I cut and paste from their website got me wondering ...Sulphur Crested Cockatoo's are not found in this area..so I suspect they should be stating Little Corella's. Another example of "believe nothing of what you read and only half of what you see"
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 427271

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 16:44

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 16:44
Paraburdoo? In one of the most scenic regions of WA. A young lady who used to work with me and her husband went up there are couple of years ago to a mining job with their young family and just love it. Hot in summer!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 171743

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 16:53

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 16:53
Son's been there before but when you fly in and out I guess you don't get much of a decent impression.
I'm glad you mentioned scenic. I had visions of driving from one dust crater to the next :))
AnswerID: 171750

Reply By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:00

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:00
I worked building the all floodways there in the late 80's. Beautiful neck of the woods. Done some flying in light planes around it too and the thermals are brutal.

Have fun, sounds great.
AnswerID: 171753

Reply By: Member - John L G - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 18:57

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 18:57
Footloose

I have just finished a three month locum up in Tom Price and absolutely loved the place.

Summer???? They didn't have one up there this year with mostly 35 degree days and balmy evenings. Rained most days and with the number of cyclones dumping more on the region, all water holes are now full with plenty of running water.

When I initially flew in, I did wonder as to wether the pilot had flown south instead of north. Green is the word and having spent many years up there, can't remember ever having witnessed the area like this with the contrast of vivid green against the abutments on the ranges of the famous Pilbara Red colour.

As the region abuts Karajini, it's a special place to be with good people abundant. A thread of the other day questioned wether people still waved to each other on the highway. If you venture here, do exercises before you arrive to strengthen the waving mechanism.

As you can probably guess, I'm a convert. Camping is terrific with plenty of waterholes and spots by the running creeks with grass fior the kids. You only have to pay fees if you enter Karajini National Park where the ranger looks after things but elsewhere in the region you can pretty well free camp - just find a track and go down it.

The best and most picturesque way to Para is down the coastal highway and in from Nanutarra to Para - Super drive and don't rush it as it circles through the Hamersley ranges around the back of Karajini.

It is breathtaking stuff and if you are a camera buff, make sure you can do wide angle on film or with digital. stitch your pics together so you can take panorama pics. It's actuall a bit hard to stuff the grandeur of the place onto a single frame.

The towns of Tom Price are basically mining towns and though the word "closed " no longer applies, the company is pivotal in its ownership of the majority of properties and providing the dollars for the infrastructure.
RioTinto is the player here and generally looks after its own pretty well.
Population is super young with heaps of kids and pregnant mums.
At my send off, one of the wags reckoned the average aqe to be 7 years and when I left this would drop to 5.

Anyway. Go - Take a swag and a thirst and enjoy.

Cheers
AnswerID: 171783

Reply By: quicksilver103 - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:58

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:58
Hi lived in Para for few years great placve to be but no caravan park it closed because no one wanted to run it .Good one at Tom Price though.
Go top shire office in para and they have mud maps to locasl senic areas .radio hill at sunset absoloutly spectacular can wach whole vally as sun goes down .Kellys Pool just near the mine is a grear picnic spot follow that road down to Sandy Creek then on to bluff on top range looking south awsom looking out over plains(about 30ks each way).Going back the the main road to Tom Price past the airport Palm Springs is an oasis also worth a look . Add to that Karajini Fprtiscue fals witnoom ect lots to see and do
AnswerID: 171823

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:10

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:10
Thanks to all who replied, very useful info to say the least. Appreciate every reply.
AnswerID: 171826

Reply By: Old Gold - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:22

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:22
Come on up to Para as a resident for the past seven and a half years it has to be the best spot in the pibara
AnswerID: 171908

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:33

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:33
Looks like I'll have to go now, with all the glowing reports.
As long as I don't have to post with a new nick, "stuck in para " :))))))))
FollowupID: 427414

Sponsored Links