Re Post 33724 EGT Monitoring

Submitted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 18:20
ThreadID: 33727 Views:1815 Replies:2 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone on the forum fitted pyrometer and EGT guage to a ZD 30? What cost?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 18:56

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 18:56
Check out Chaz's website
members.bettanet.net.au/~conody/index.htm

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 171782

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 19:29

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 19:29
Thanks, I was aleady aware of that site, but am interested in cost
FollowupID: 427254

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:08

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:08
Our boost gauge cost less than $100 - around $75 i think. Fitting cost nothing as our son did it. The EGT gauge was fitted by a Nissan dealership; that cost it think a couple of hundred $$s or so. I wish we had seen Chaz's trio pod before we had it done; ours just sits on the dash, and the boost gauge has been placed in the centre to the right of the radio - not the easiest place to monitor it when driving in difficult conditions. The peace of mind and ability to modify driving so as not to stress the motor when towing a heavy van through Tasmania was well worth it. If you want more specific prices, i will need to dig down through a maze of paperwork that has built up over the 3 months i was away, and get into last year's files for the EGT - just ask - no trouble - it just won't happen quickly!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 427285

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:38

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:38
Motherhen

Thanks for the offer, but no need to go digging, the thermogaurd price looks comparable.
I am however curious to know what conditions have given you the highest EGT and any unusual readings where EGT was high when you didn't expect it.

Dave O
FollowupID: 427324

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:53

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:53
Thermoguard was the only place we got information on what temperatures would be getting too high. Discovered this site only after we'd had gauge fitted by Nissan dealer, not realising that an ExplorOz member actually sold the very gauges we had wanted. The highest it goes is usually 550, maybe up to 600 in the extreme - didn't seem to be much different when towing. Climbed a bit above that when crossing Horrocks Pass the day the boost went down and power went down. We had previously blown off the tube when towing the caravan up the hill home just after boost gauge was fitted so thought this may have been the problem. When it wasn't - that was when we thought we had a serious problem and wouldn't make it to Tasmania. Got to member Willem's next day and investigated - Jim discovered a crack in the tube at the back of the gauge. Fixed it and end of problem. Jim tries to drive with revs between 2500 & 2750, and at no time over 3000, although Nissan dealer told us motor can readily handle much higher revs.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 427330

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:58

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:58
Thanks for that, much appreciated.
FollowupID: 427332

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 23:24

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 23:24
PS Ours is fitted in the 'hottest spot'. Some people here have there's in a slightly different place and get lower readings.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 427335

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 20:12

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 20:12
As usual, after posing the question I found the resource on ExploreOZ

www.thermoguard.com.au/
AnswerID: 171797

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:53

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:53
Hi David
I went and read that past post you listed and the mention of motoring journo's was written, Don't have much time for their comments,City Slickers most of them , I remember some years ago when I had a 1993 Daihatsu Rocky r/v 2.8 Turbo Diesel and were they a go-er but in a magazine the Mr Big head wrote that that the Rocky was over due for change , it past it's use by date , Dash was used by Feroza's as well , but I thought it was a magic little Machine and they would do more than most drivers would ever ask of them, very capable.I had to get rid of mine , just could not carry enough fuel , water etc for long hauls plus I had to use a swag , Now i just climb into bed , Its always there ...Yawn might head of now too , see ya

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 427331

Follow Up By: Ian from Thermoguard Instruments - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 16:59

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 16:59
Hi David,

Hope you don't mind if I pop in here with my 2 cents worth? I hope the info on my website regarding acceptable maximum EGT was useful. I've looked long and hard for information on this over the last few years and the consensus I've found is that, measured upstream of the turbo, 720C (~1330F) is the highest you would want to see for any length of time (no more than a few 10s of seconds).

There is a large but difficult to specify temperature drop across a turbocharger at high load. I have measured almost 190C drop in my vehicle, so at 720C upstream the downstream EGT was about 530C. This temperature drop varies all the time during operation and will vary from vehicle to vehicle so I always recommend to my customers that they use an upper limit of 520C when the EGT is measured downstream of the turbo.

Also, I'm happy to give any advice I can about EGT gauge installation, whether it's one of mine or not. Hope this helps.

Doug T.,

If you're reading this, I'm a little concerned at your remark, "I went and read that past post you listed and the mention of motoring journo's was written". I hope that's not referring to me? While ExplorOz have recently kindly published a couple of technical articles written by my good self, I certainly wouldn't like to be described as a "motoring journo".

I've been a professional electrical engineer working in industrial instrumentation and control systems since the early 1980s, including several years full-time and numerous long visits since in Mt Isa.

Ian
FollowupID: 428162

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:11

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:11
Ian from Thermoguard Instruments

No I was not refering to you Ian , I don't recall you ever making a silly remark about the Daihatsu Rocky , So don't worry about it mate, your clean ....so far..LOL
and my comment was directed about a particular Motoring WRITER whom I have no idea what his name was nor do I care much ,also Ian seems your not a full blown City Slicker anyway , Good to hear from you/

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 428165

Follow Up By: Ian from Thermoguard Instruments - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:14

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:14
Thanks for clearing that up Doug! But I'll make sure I watch my "Ps" and "Qs" if I ever comment on Daihatsu Rockys...
Ian
FollowupID: 428166

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:23

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:23
You'll be Right Ian, That was my "Claytons" Landcruiser, Now I have a real one.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 428168

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:24

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:24
Ian

Thanks for your offer, it is very much appreciated. As you can probably guess by my posts, I have some very useful contacts in the motoring game, and one of those has helped me a great deal.

We've elected to eventually place an EGT upstream of the turbo. Your advice about 720 deg C matches my research which is 1350 F (730 C). The first fit will be oil temperature and the next will be boost then EGT.

My contacts within Nissan assure me that the problem is that the vehicles use oil at a pretty amazing rate under stress, and that is what results in the failures. Tow a van from Melbourne to Brisbane and not check the oil along the way and you could be in for a suprise. This matches my own observations. I've used a litre in about 900k of hard work and then find the use rate drops in easy around town driving.

Thanks for your input, and you have a great product there.

David O
FollowupID: 428169

Follow Up By: Ian from Thermoguard Instruments - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:50

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:50
Hi David,

Couldn't find a direct email address on your site, so if you'd like to send me a quick email, I'll send you some photos of a ZD30 EGT installation that might be useful.

Ian
FollowupID: 428183

Sponsored Links