Tax Cuts for retirees??????

Submitted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 09:00
ThreadID: 33745 Views:2591 Replies:7 FollowUps:41
This Thread has been Archived
I'm still trying to get the intimate detail on this as I suspect it's another pot of gold at the bottom of another rainbow that I'll never find. Kochie said something about this only being of benifit if you take a lump sum and being of no benifit to those of us who have elected to take our superannuation as a pension...
I won't crack the champers just yet then, I'll wait for confirmation....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 09:34

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 09:34
The email I have says;

- simplify and streamline superannuation
- Tax free superannuation benefits for those over 60 if you are drawing from a taxed superannuation fund
- abolishing the RBL limits so no Reasonable Benefit Limits
- Reducing the pension assets test taper rate from $3.00 to $1.50 for every $1,000 of assets from 20 September 2007

end in regard to email on super

The current situation is of course the super funds pay tax at 15% from dollar one and pay tax for the superannuant at 15% too paying it out. All dividends attract tax at the same rate as does rental income but the schemes can't borrow and so are seen to be a protected capital scheme which is why they were set up in the first place. Just TAXED everywhich way. It will have the effect of no longer taxing beneficiaries as they are paid, so a higher payout.

In regard to the RBL it was hard that the Keating government kept the high rate of return to MPs out of the super fund but imposed what it called a RBL to limit the amount superannuants could recieve by inposing a penalty tax. Last time the Peter tried to adjust it it was stopped by the opposition.
AnswerID: 171886

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:36

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:36
Stock Market thinks its a good Budget.
Older retirees think so too.
High income earners think so too.
Middle Australia isn't quite so sure.
Infrastructure thinks it's a lousy budget.
Ex pats won't come back because of it.
Tax cuts etc don't seem to come in for a while...pre election ?

Personally my family will benefit (by small amounts) from this budget, but I am still left with an uneasy feeling.

I didn't see anything about long term sustainable plans to rid ourselves of oil dependecy.

I didn't see much for the sick and infirm.

One expression used is the "tax shuffle". Will this change ?

Have we become a nation where the only thing we care about is how many dollars we can spend ? Are we hip pocket voters ?
Whatever happened to the real Australia, did it ever exist ?

AnswerID: 171893

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:44

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:44
Bit heavy for me Footie! I have a healthy disrespect for polies generally and can only assume that we are paying twice what their giving to us somewhere else.

The super angle is important for me right now. I'd hate to think that he has made it sssoooo attractive for me to have to stay in the workforce till 60!

Kind regards
FollowupID: 427391

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:51

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:51
I'm afraid that it looks that way to me.
And there are many more who are in the same boat.
I'm sure that is part of the grand scheme.
FollowupID: 427392

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:56

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:56
Have to sus out the transitional arrangements but I've got a couple of years to go before I turn 55. Some serious detective work needed to see if it is the real McCoy or just some bait to put the foot in a bear trap.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 427396

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 11:15

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 11:15
is early retirement going to leave this country with a shortage of skilled persons?
FollowupID: 427398

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 11:24

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 11:24
G'day No.1,

It is an interesting situation, this notion of that is good for the country must also be good for me. Was listning to SBS last night, a debate about the industrial reforms, the pollies were arguing it is needed and good for the country. Individuals were saying, but it doesn't work for me!

I would like to think that it isn't my plans for early retirement that is creating a skills shortage (I am probably the only thinking I have skills - delusional I know) but the lack of planning by our political electees in areas like training and apprentices etc that is to blame.

Anyway that is my excuse.

Kind regards

PS No.1 I doubt if the missus will let you have early retirement regardless of what Pete and his mates say you can do.
FollowupID: 427399

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 11:55

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 11:55
pps
your dead right there.

FollowupID: 427400

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:17

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:17
#1, Import them from China, and sack the aussie workers like that company in ballarat did yesterday.
FollowupID: 427406

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:21

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:21
Sounds like an electric 4by coming 'Loosie. How many solar panels can you get on the roof?
FollowupID: 427434

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:06

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:06
John, I'm no greenie. More of an environmentally aware type person, like most of us I guess.
I'd use BD in the Cruiser if it were availiable at an attractive price.
Wife was saving up for one of those half lectric half fuel thingies until she found out that the batteries needed replacing every few years at $6 grand a pop !
Where else in the world would we need to be in the red to go into the green I wonder ?
FollowupID: 427438

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:46

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:46
"Tax cuts etc don't seem to come in for a while...pre election ? "

1st of july they come in. Dont forget we have had a lifting of tax brackets last July and this coming also was being lifted top marginal from $$70k to $95k to $125k.

If you dont have shares, arent high or middle income earner or retiree, where do you fit in?

"Have we become a nation where the only thing we care about is how many dollars we can spend ? Are we hip pocket voters ? "
further into this thread you say you are green and will use biodiesel but only if it cost less. Isnt that a "hip pocket greeny"?

Instead of knocking how about laying out a budget here (or on a new thread) that people can pick to bits or applaud?

The ONLY way people will embrace new technology etc is when it becomes too expensive to use the old. Sad but true.

FollowupID: 427474

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:00

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:00
You're correct about the timing, I posted when details were sketchy..at least here.
"If you dont have shares, arent high or middle income earner or retiree, where do you fit in? "...depends on your income. I didn't say there was something for everyone (My name's not Peter.)
"further into this thread you say you are green and will use biodiesel but only if it cost less. Isnt that a "hip pocket greeny"?

Instead of knocking how about laying out a budget here (or on a new thread) that people can pick to bits or applaud?

Sure..just as soon as you provide me with
a) your taxable income figure
b) your philosophy on social equality or inequality and
c) your personal thoughts on the budget

:))))))))))))))))))

FollowupID: 427480

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:00

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:00
ahh, but thats the name of the game foot, not to just make me happy, but to make everyone happy!
And having a large family (5) and an upper income (blue collar) with only myself working means I am quite happy with it!

Give more tax cuts to the higher earners and slug the poor I reckon, so they have an incentive to get off their lazy arses :)))))))))
FollowupID: 427514

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:29

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:29
> Give more tax cuts to the higher earners and slug the poor I reckon, so they have an incentive to get off their lazy arses :)))))))))

thats probably the most moronic thing Ive ever read anywhere.
FollowupID: 427528

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:41

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:41
No budget is going to make everyone happy. Even with access to govt income and expenditure figures, nobody could do that. And even if they could, pressure groups, kickbacks, jobs for the boys when no longer in power etc would mean that it wouldnt be done, even if it could.
Anyone who thinks that most pollies are there for the country are kidding themselves, in my opinion.
So, slug the poor eh ? How would you define "poor" ? Anyone earning less than 100K a year according to someone I read of today (smh, govt budget blogs). That kinda cuts out teachers, ambos, public servants; in fact anyone who works to help people in any way. And while we're at it, why not take the vote from these people who obviously made wrong choices when young.
Now if we mean "non working" , single mums (surprisingly, most of who are divorced mature women according to the stats I have seen), the sick, disabled and the elderly, well thats a lot of poor. I suppose being poor is their choice, eh ?
Slug em ? Why not just shoot em ? Much less trouble. Oh hang on, if we shoot em then we can't rip em off...bad one.

Of course the poor might argue for a tax increase on wealthy people. Slug em so that they shoulder a fair share of the load.
Works both ways I guess :))))))))
FollowupID: 427533

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:43

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:43
'Loosie, in the area of industry where I play a little I hear of the beginnings of change of dynamic. What will be driven by a useage of sugar in to ethenol for instance? What other products are in a form of sugar that will be dragged with it? All those sorts of ideas that I may have had in my head twelve years ago but the market dynamic wasn't there. Not saying I was ahead of the time, just watching and seeing it happen now.

I have been a bit of a greenie at times, I don't like clear felling much for chipping for paper and love rapids in rivers rather than dams. Like to think we can leave the earth a bit better than we began on it. Pleanty of birds in trees and that sort of thing.

Back on the budget - Some of the paper I have been reading on the budget talks about the new tax threshold for 30% tax beginning at $25, 001 and the assistance from rebates begins to phase down from $21,600 is assistance to the low paid and with family it is higher assistance.

It has been a long term 'thing' to delay payment until the next year, but I guess we all remember the "LAW Law" Tax Cuts of Mr Cheating, but most of these are from July 1st 06, though the super improvement is 07...
FollowupID: 427537

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:21

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:21
"thats probably the most moronic thing Ive ever read anywhere."

LOL
Of all the people on this forum truckster, I must say Im surprized to get a bite out of you!!! Makes a nice change from the nissan debate!

Im certain you and I have certainly read more "moronic" statements than that anyway.
FollowupID: 427585

Reply By: Member - ROTORD - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:07

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:07
Lets look at Footloose's " middle Austalians "

They retire at 60 , and have $220,000 in super . They sell their house and top the super up to $470,000 and take off in the 4WD and caravan .

First problem , to avoid tax under the old rules they would have to convert the super to a pension . But under the rules , the pension isnt enough to live on .

So they elect to draw down the super at the rate of $47,000 a year , pay 15% tax and live on $40,000 . They could run out of money in 10 years , but they hope that the income from their residual super investments will top them up to keep going after that time .

Under the new rules , Their withdrawls are tax free . So in the first year , they only withdraw $40,000 , They are $7,000 better off . That $7,000 remains invested helping top up their residual suoer .
AnswerID: 171921

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:19

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:19
the budget deletes the tax of 15% ROTORD and up to $25,000 tax free from other sources too, so if you do some work under the sun during winter it makes use of your skills and keeps the brain functioning. If your partner has some super too it can be a reasonable top up.

All this says is make sure your super gets topped up......
FollowupID: 427433

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:18

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:18
The problem with selling up, moving out and spending as you go is that at the end of it all, you don't usually just fade away peacefully. You become old and sick which is a very expensive pastime. And someone has to pay. This will become an increasing burden on the country.
So maybe the extra few $$ that you've saved by slogging it out till 60 might help pay for private health insurance...fine until you take a peek at the gap payments (and then you'll feel crook...very crook!).
Kinda reminds me of the old saying about good girls going to heaven but the bad ones get to go anywhere they like. The "average" (statistical measurement of taxable income) worker doesn't seem to be able to get ahead.
Geez that's depressing. Now I feel like one of those ants that are only around to work. And the most depressing bit ? I'm relatively well off compared to the other ants.
Anyone know of a PAYE taxpayer that I can rip off ? A few keystrokes to put his taxes into my account and .......
FollowupID: 427444

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:24

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:24
Now I have no problems with the ski holidays so often mentioned but i agree with you here about the health issues. It makes good sense to have some reserves for those elective emergencies unless you want to have a miserable retirement. Don't count on medicare and those dissapearing doctors either may be better to have a healthy approach to lifestyle as well.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 427447

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:45

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:45
"Loosie, I think I only know good girls. sob
FollowupID: 427539

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:57

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:57
John, I only ever met one good girl, and I married her. And now in my doting age, I rather glad that I did :))
FollowupID: 427547

Reply By: roblin - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:22

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:22
Just regarding the skills shortage. When I did my apprenticeship, so many moons and brain cells ago, the minimum requirement was, if you were lucky, to have completed year 10 and be 15yo.

If you ask me, the skills shortage is due to the upped requirements for year 12, 10 years trade related experience, a license to drive a b double, etc. I know that the last few are excagerated but having a 16 yo son who is looking for a building apprenticeship, doing construction (Cert 2/3) and related subjects at school and then constantly seeing newspaper ads that 'require a license and year 12' is off putting and demoralising. Even the defence forces have stopped what was a good apprenticeship scheme in favour of adult trainees.

I know there are some incentives from govt for tradees to take on apprentices but more needs to be done. Are our tradesmen expecting the 1st and 2nd year apprentices to do too much. I know, coming from the electrical trades, that 1st year is for learning and 2nd onwards for earning your keep BUT the industries all need to lower their expectations (not standards - as year 12 and a license don't mean a thing when it comes to trade work).

I no longer work ..........as a tradesman (LOL) and am not in the predicament for employing young people. If our building and social inductries are so bouyant, the same trades earning the $$$ should be putting some back into the system through apprenticeships.

TAFES no longer offer the old 12 month prevocational programs that were around in the 80s (at least not in NSW). I am not prepared for my son to leave school to gain a Cert 1 in building or electrical through a 12 week course when he is getting a Cert 2/3 in construction at his high school and then have him on the streets until he gets a job carting trollies at Woolies.

Pretty soon, you will need a Uni degree to be a tradee.

My thoughts anyway

Rob
AnswerID: 171934

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:37

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:37
I agree 100%.
For example a sparkie or fitter. The highest school qualifications are not necessarily the best. A young bloke who is a good academic is likely to carry on studying after his apprenticeship into engineering, and at the end of it all, there is still not a working tradesman?
FollowupID: 427472

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:00

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:00
Yup, I to agree. When I left school at 15 you did an apprenticeship and then went on to further studies if you wanted... Now you need to do a "course" to be able to be a trolley boy...I think in my day there were careers for people who did not want to go to Uni... for example you could start off as a very junior hand in the Railways & work your way up...Try doing that now. The other thing that has changed of course is that all the trades seem to have been broken down into specialities, no longer can you get a Carpentry & Joinery Trade Certificate that entitles you to build a house & fit it out. These days there are people who only fit kitchens or fix gyprock...
Even learning to drive a Tram requires a TER score....I guess at least to drive a tram one of the criteria is that you don't have to speak english....
It's a wierd world job wise, i'm glad I'm off the market so to speak & now will be able to live the life of O'Riley ( the builder) with my new found taxation bonanza...
FollowupID: 427491

Follow Up By: Lazybugger - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:50

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:50
While it may not seem fair to your 16yo when he hears he has to go to year 12 when you were able to do your apprenticeship in year 10 there are probably a couple of things that need to be taken into consideration:

1) in terms of the basic 3 R's which do you think would come out on top. An average year 10 student from 20 or 30 years ago or an average year 10 graduate from this year (or even a year 12 grad). I

2) What else does a kid need to know these days that he didn't 20-30 years ago? Well I think your staring at the answer right now. Any kid is likely to come across a computer of some sort when he gets a job, in just about any industry. Say he a tradie working in a mechanical shop or similar, if the boss is busy, he might have to take the customer payment print a receipt or whatever from the computer. I am sure there are many examples but just like life was very awkward over the last 30 years for a bloke who can't read or write, its going to be just as awkward over the next 30 if you can't use a computer.

3) The cost of training. For a business to take on an apprentice probably isn't as cheap (in terms of wages and training costs) as what it was 20 years ago. Can businesses really afford to have a turnstile of young kids trying the job for a couple of months and then finding it the job wasn't what they wanted. Getting a kid that can make it to that 2nd year stage is important and perhaps hiring a couple of years later when kids are 17 and just a little more mature helps give the bosses some certainty over the investment they are about to make.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Cheers
FollowupID: 427544

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 20:17

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 20:17
Roblin - re the Defence forces cutting out apprenticeships in favour of adult trainees is not quite true....remember Australia signed up to the international treaty on the rights of children some time back and one of the requirements of this (I think) was that children (ie <17 yo) couldn't serve in permanent army/navy/airforce. Having said that all three Services offer top notch training which still results in civilian recognised trade quals and the recruiting age is 17 - 40+ - also you only need yr 10 and show the ability to be able to handle the math...you will get remedial lessons if required.
FollowupID: 427559

Follow Up By: roblin - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:04

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:04
For Lazybugger

My kids (teenage) are more computer literate than the majority of adults presently in the workforce. It is something that is pushed in all levels of schooling (even pre-school now). I can cop the maturity issue easily. We weren'tany different. It was just that society as a whole had a different mindset. Tradesman, in general, were dropouts from school and chose to leave as soon as they could (15yo). All of the trades have been trying, for at least the last decade, to get formal tertiary acclaim in some respects to prove their equivalency. Unfortunately, as parents within this timeframe, we collectively are also to blame. We advocate to our children to study to year 12, go to Uni and have better (more prosperous opportunities) lives than we did.

I am one of the X gens. My parents wanted this but also supported my decision to leave for an apprenticeship in 81. I had excellent school results but was sick of school and left at the end of year 11. I don't regret any chooses I have made. I have multiple trades (civilian electrical and then RAAF electronics) and am now totally away from this area - in fact in air traffic control. I want my kids to go to Uni and realise achievements quicker than I did HOWEVER they must be happy and satisfied with their lot. After discussing some of this with my wife, the major issue with a teenager (regardless whether 15 or 19) is their drive to achieve what they set themselves to do. I personally relished the opportunity to be an apprentice and did very well throughout the 4 year contract. Unfortunately, my opinion of todays teenagers is that they lack this same drive and appreciation of what they get and yes that also applies to my 16yo son.

To the tradies, please don't be offended, but the only R that I remember really being applied in my apprenticeship was 'rithmetic, and that was because I was in the electrical area. Basic reading and writing is complete in year 7. Shakespeare isn't commonly quoted on building sites or engineering workshops.

Patrol22

I wasn't aware of the 17yo rule. I have been military for the last 20 years and seen many changes - some good, some not so. The ADF as a whole used to turn over more than 400 apprentices each year plus the adult trainees. The current adult trade training system turns over more now but we keep a lot of excellent applicants waiting until they are 17 when they could have been under training prior to this age. I finished my civilian electrical fitter/mechanic apprenticeship, did some trade time and then joined the RAAF as one of the adult trainees. I have been able to work up to commissioning in air traffic control. Its a great system that pays and trains. You are right, top notch training.
FollowupID: 427579

Reply By: chump_boy - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:36

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:36
What ever happened to the last lot of tax cuts? I remember hearing about all this extra money I will have 12 months ago, but am yet to see any. It was something silly like $50 per week!

I assume they will kick in in July this year - but does the budget last night include those tax cuts, or will the ones announced last night be additional? So will that mean $50 per week now, and then $50 per week next year?

Lol - I c an't keep up anymore.....

Chump

AnswerID: 171944

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:55

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:55
The top tax bracket kicked in at $70k a year back. This year it has been $95k and it was supposed to be $125k from 1st july. Now it will be $150k and 45 cents in the dollar. All other brackets will be lifted also.
" I remember hearing about all this extra money I will have 12 months ago, but am yet to see any. It was something silly like $50 per week! "

probably spent it! $50 doesnt sound silly to me, unless you got too much? Stash the $50 each week instead of buying a foil and a packet of gaspers and youll have $2500 in a year!

FollowupID: 427478

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:42

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:42
ME i am a cynic and will wait and see because i beleive you can never trust a polly doenst matter which side of the fence liars cheats charlatons the lot
as my boss says better to take 15% from 10million workers you can afford to throw a few dollars back at the 1-2 million retiring

steve
AnswerID: 171955

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:08

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:08
Steve, fair go mate. Look at what our pollys have done for us.... Involved us in other peoples wars at unbelievable public & personal expense, created one of the most generous super schemes for themselves, told more lies than Adolf Hitler, ad nauseaum.
Years ago my sister refused to vote, she got fined and defended herself in court saying that no one on her ticket was worthy of her vote claiming that ther were all petty crims & "Arthur Daley" types, the judge dismissed the charge as moments before her appearance in court the state government dismissed the council that she refused to vote for....
FollowupID: 427493

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:31

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:31
Look at what our pollys have done for us
thats way too close to the line from Life of Brian

"WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US...."
FollowupID: 427529

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:26

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:26
have a look overseas and see what the alternatives are.
Can anyone name a country that has it better, cleaner and less corrupt than Aus?
FollowupID: 427586

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 22:03

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 22:03
No, but that doesnt mean that we couldn't have it much better, much cleaner and far less corrupt than what it is.
FollowupID: 427596

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 22:28

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 22:28
Hutt River Province.
FollowupID: 427597

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 22:52

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 22:52
"Hutt River Province."
You can buy a passport there same as carribean and other tax havens (but its cheaper!) but no one lives there other than Prince leonard and family. Rich or poor.
You dont have ANY say in the government. Its Prince Leonard or p...off.
Jobs are scarce, work for Prince Leonard or p...off
Cant buy fuel there, unless from Prince Leonard
Roads are rough, but hey you can complain to Prince Leonard!
They dont tell you what is in their budget, ditto
They dont have any welfare, except if Prince Leonard feels sorry for you!

Its just around the corner from me.

I'll leave it to someone else to outline the bad points!
FollowupID: 427603

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 08:12

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 08:12
I love the sticker that says, "Don't vote, you'll only encourage the ba%tards."
What sort of democracy puts its citizens in jail for not voting ? Chinese democracy ?
What sort of Govt can claim a "mandate" with 38% of the total vote ?
Years ago I met a parliamentry type in the bush. When I asked him if he'd had a good trip he grinned and told me that it had better have been a good trip, as it was taxpayer funded.
Not happy Jan.

FollowupID: 427637

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:38

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:38
"What sort of democracy puts its citizens in jail for not voting ? Chinese democracy ?"

Good question, cant think of one that does? but Im guessing your referring to Aus. Isnt the fine $25 or $50?
Maybe you'd go to jail if you didnt vote cos you were busy robbing a bank, but otherwise I dont think so.
The great thing about Aus though is that YOU can make a difference by becoming a pollie, and tabling all the wonderful ideas.
But 99% of people are content indulging in whinging and tearing down pollies than doing something practicle.
Who would want to be a pollie anyway though with the s... money they earn, copping it from eveyone and being in the public eye.
Travelling, whoopee. I travel for work quite a bit and hotels aint much fun. Imagine going to those meetings and committees and all that crap.
Most people would rather be with their families I reckon, once the novelty wears off.
FollowupID: 427669

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 13:59

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 13:59
even with the faults - you would be better off than you are here.
FollowupID: 428117

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:15

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:15
"The great thing about Aus though is that YOU can make a difference by becoming a pollie, and tabling all the wonderful ideas.
But 99% of people are content indulging in whinging and tearing down pollies than doing something practicle.
Who would want to be a pollie anyway though with the s... money they earn, copping it from eveyone and being in the public eye.
Travelling, whoopee. I travel for work quite a bit and hotels aint much fun. Imagine going to those meetings and committees and all that crap.
Most people would rather be with their families I reckon, once the novelty wears off."
Oh come on !
Just how many pollies do or even CAN make a difference ? They become part of the system, individuals don't count. The party makes the difference, and only then if they're in power. Public perception may look different but that's the way it is.
As for tearing down pollies, that's what they get paid for, target practise ! When you take the Kings schilling ...........its called democracy...go to China if you don't want to hear the masses moaning about their pollies.
When travelling they don't only take their families, they take whatever they want to. Nice work if you can get it...I see the NSW Premier spent $100K on his last trip.
Travel is difficult ? They don't HAVE to go and yet thay do, time after time on the taxpayers dime. All those meetings, food, waited on hand and foot, limos everywhere, the best hotels, 1st class airfares....oh come on who is kidding who !
FollowupID: 428121

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 22:33

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 22:33
"even with the faults - you would be better off than you are here."

Im a bit confused, are you saying you would be better off in China than you are here?? Forgive me if I have misunderstood your grammar as you seem to be a reasonably logical person, however I am fairly sure you intended that as a joke.
As no intelligent person would think such a MORONIC thing. If it were true i am sure it would be easy to migrate there. It wouldnt be necessary to hire some dodgy old timber fishing boat off some people smugglers and island hop through pirate infested waters to get here.

But I do like your sense of humour, offbeat! kudos to you sir!!
FollowupID: 428229

Reply By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 20:12

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 20:12
This all sounds too bloody complicated for me....thank God my super is a little more simple. After 32 years in the Navy I retired at 52 with a pension equal to slightly more than 50% of my salary (which was quite comfortable). I've been drawing that pension for 3 years now and working full time as well....with these tax breaks I might just retire full time when I'm 60 :-)
AnswerID: 171996

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 15:16

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 15:16
Yep ,some have got to love the public purse ,,brotherinlaw did 22yrs navy and collects his pension ,joins police force and is credited with 22yrs sick leave entitlement ,,gotta love the public purse.
FollowupID: 428139

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:38

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:38
Alloy c/t....methinks that anyone who has done time in the military deserves their pension benefit...public purse or not. I for one spent a total of 14 years at sea seeing family on the odd occasion throughout those years. Would I do it again...probably not....much easier to get a soft job ashore and go home to mum's bum every night.
FollowupID: 428173

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:49

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 17:49
Patrol22 ,was not having a "go" ,just pointing out an anomaly ,when in the army/navy/airforce you are paid whether "sick" or not ,used to be part of the service allowance ,,no dispute on pension at all ,
FollowupID: 428182

Sponsored Links