CDMA access periods.

Submitted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:24
ThreadID: 33764 Views:1964 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I use GSM mobile for my daily use as I need it for global roaming etc.
I use CDMA for heading "out bush" with a good car kit and high gain antenna, and use preaid as thats the sensible way to do it cost wise, as it gets very little use.

In recent months, Telstra has
1. Announced CDMA will no longer be available after 2008- "Not Happy Jan!"
and now...
2. Announced that from the 16th of May, access periods for prepaid will be dropped from 6 months for $30 to only 2 months! They've got a bloody hide- "Bloody Angry Jan!!!!"
I went down to my local Telstra shop today to express my displeasure- they said they had had many complaints. If this affects you, go and give them an earfull, (bearing in mind you want the message to go to their management, so go easy on the staff.)
This will particularly affect many oldies (grey nomads) and the like as they are often on a very limted budget. Many I have spoken to do not know about the changes.
...The more people who complain to Telstra, the better chance there is of turning this around.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:04

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:04
Telstra advised me by text message to check the website, so i did have warning. Also if we raced out and stocked up on current recharges, they would have the old conditions. I am not prepared to do so because no doubt they'll make them obsolete soon too. Disappointed, but last time the change was in our favour.

Complaining to Telstra would be less use than complaining to oil companies about fuel prices.

Next year when they phase in the new GSM2 or whatever they called it, no doubt our CDMA and GSM phones will need to be replaced. They tell us its a better service - we will be able to watch sport and movies and all manner of things on our mobile phone - how many mega$$s will that cost to do, and who wants to?

When they pulled out of the old analogue network, people in the country had far less service area coverage under the new CDMA. Now they have worked on filling a few gaps, they are going to scrap it, in favour of a new system that will cover 99% of the population. That's about the population of the major cities, leaving the rest of Oz un catered for.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 171982

Reply By: macy - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:30

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:30
why are you using a GSM our CDMA works on Digital when available and works over seas well in NZ any way, sounds like you are using two phones when one will do
Mac
AnswerID: 171988

Follow Up By: Flash - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 00:08

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 00:08
Because I travel to many countries as part of my job.
Need GSM!
Quite simple really.
FollowupID: 429119

Follow Up By: macy - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:40

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:40
My point exactly the cdma will roam on gsm overseas
FollowupID: 429159

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:35

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:35
I was advised today by Orange (3cdma) that Telstra is shutting down the network on Aug 6th this year. Orange use Telstra network out of the main city areas.
AnswerID: 172029

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 07:52

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 07:52
I was angry about this latest corporates 'couldn't give a flying #@$% about the customer' change to services provided too.

I was told that (and the brochure confirms) that if you bank with ANZ (as I do) and a few other financial institutions (I can't remember which ones they were) you can still 'top up' at the old pre-paid rates and periods via the auto teller (hole-in-the-wall) I went to the ANZ web site and their are some instructions their (I think). If anybody's ineterested I'll find them and post here.
AnswerID: 172076

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 12:20

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 12:20
It doesn't matter which prepaid card you use or how you pay into your prepaid account - if the useage conditions change, that's what you have to live with.

Mike
FollowupID: 427882

Follow Up By: AdlelaideGeorge - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 16:48

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 16:48
The information on the Telstra web site and from their representive in a Telstra shop doesn't conform to that view - it shows 2 tables - one with the new shortened periods (when the card is prepaid at a telstra shop for example) and one with periods that apply (I believe) if the card is topped up from the auto tellers of some banks.
FollowupID: 427934

Reply By: Bilbo - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 08:13

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 08:13
I had a good look around when considering a sat phone for bush work. Because of the phasing out of old GSM and current CDMA, I decided to put my Codan rdaio back into service and get Sellcall.

I'll do this until they make thier bluddy minds up which phone technology they're gonna use.

We must all remember that Sol Trujillo has pulled this stunt with phone companies before, in the USA, where his track record was almost criminal - but he walked away a rich man, as did his executive mates. The full 7 page strory was in the Australian Financial Review a few weeks ago. It was scary.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 172086

Reply By: Viking66 - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 21:39

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 21:39
Gees’ guys, fair go... I agree with some of the sentiment, but here are some facts:

You have 18 to 24 months of service to go on your current CDMA phone, surely if you have a contract or something it will be finished by then and you will have your moneys worth….

The new network will be available with the SAME (or very close) coverage as CDMA early 2007, maybe even late this year. So you have one year to take up a new pre-paid, or subsidised plan on the NEW 3GSM 850 network. (I am told by late 2007, even better than CDMA coverage)

And for those wanting data connectivity to update their web site or MSN video conference with friends whilst in Bamaga, Cooktown, or Weipa for example, you will get 300 to 600Kb to your laptop, that’s ADSL speed boys, in the 4x4....

So whinge all you like, but I can’t wait for it, and neither can me Mum.

Owe, and GSM as it stands today will be around to around 2012, so you can keep them if you like.

Eric
AnswerID: 172202

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 12:18

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 12:18
I agree

Mike
FollowupID: 427881

Follow Up By: Flash - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 23:43

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 23:43
OK so let's get this straight....

You think it's fine to chop $30 access from six months to two, do you?
This also affects every parent who does the sensible thing for their kids phone by buying prepaid with Telstra rather than a plan.
I wouldn't do ANY business with Telstra if I could, I was shafted by them about twelve years ago for a huge amount of dollars and will never forget how I was treated then.
They haven't changed and never will.
BTW, you don't work for Telstra by any chance do you??
FollowupID: 429111

Follow Up By: Viking66 - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 06:22

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 06:22
So, you were shafted, hey so was I some 8 or so years ago, on a large $2000+ mobile bill no one could explain, but I forgot about it and moved on, and guess what, I'm 40 and no grey hairs. What about you?

Look, I agree the 6 to 2 months is a real bleep , but there must be a good reason for it.

And work for Telstra, I wish....
FollowupID: 429137

Sponsored Links