GU PATROL 3.0l EGR? ( Series 2 )

Submitted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 20:54
ThreadID: 33801 Views:5299 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

The noise actually started about a month ago, what seemed to be the noise of the belt slipping whilst driving along at around 100k's ( 2600 rpm). I thought i better check that out, but by the time i got home the noise had gone.... Over the past couple of weeks the noise has been getting more frequent, but only under load ( whilst driving, not whilst stationary), so i bought another belt and slipped it on a couple of days ago, but didn't fix the prob. Then when i pulled up yesterday and turned the engine off there was a sort of squeeling noise. Popped the bonnet,,, started/stopped the engine and i reckon the noise is coming from the egr valve??? But to go through the elimination process i started at the air flow sensor, next to intake air pressure sensor, intake control solenoid, swirl control solenoid.

Everything has voltage and working, although when i slipped the hose off the swirl control actuator and turned ignition off,,, no air blew out ( it should ). But i still reckon, that bloody noise is coming from that blasted egr valve...

I have had a good read of alot of forum pages on this site regarding this beloved valve, but am wondering if any patrol owners who have had these common problems actually had this type of noise when it packed it in. I also read on one of the forums that someone had a K & N filter ( oiled ), which was upsetting the air flow sensor, and i too have put this filter in a few months ago !!!!!

Any insight on this problem i have would be greatly appreciated.......

Dan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 22:19

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 22:19
I had the same problem. It was a cracked bolt/stud on the EGR valve and was fixed under warranty about a month ago. It took two days as they had to remove the manifold and have it resurfaced.
AnswerID: 172208

Reply By: ken167 - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 22:29

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 22:29
I had the same noise found it to be the pipe from the manifold to the egr the bolts had come loose tighten them fixed the problem but it happened again next time I used lock tight on the bolts no problem since good luck
Ken
AnswerID: 172209

Reply By: Mark (Geelong) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 22:59

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 22:59
I had the same symptons and after the first attempt(o ring replaced on intercooler)EGR pipe was removed and faces machined and new gaskets fitted problem solved

Unfortunately it took 2 visits and me to take mechanic for drive so that problem was identified

All good now
Mark (Geelong)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 172214

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 00:11

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 00:11
I can't help you with diagnostic, but at the risk of raising the dreaded ZD30 debate again. I feel a stuck EGR (closed) combined with overfueling and/or overboost could result in sufficiently elevated combustion temperatures to cause the dreaded MP syndrome -I won't use the words :-)

So my advice would be get it seen to asap.

AnswerID: 172224

Follow Up By: hl - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 09:04

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 09:04
Hi,

There are a number of conditions when the EGR valve remains closed, one of them is operation at full throttle. So I doubt whether being stuck in any position would have adverse effects other than performance issues.

Cheers

FollowupID: 427839

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 09:14

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 09:14
G'day

Yes I am aware that there are times when the engine management wants the EGR valve closed. My point is if it is closed at other times, and there are other issues such as overboost/overfuelling or the car is being worked very hard but perhaps not full throttle (towing) then elevated combustion temperatures will be the result.

There is not much room for error when people are recording 700 deg C EGT while towing.
I didn't want to start the whole zd30 debate again but my digging around in the last few days has revealed 3 dead engines locally up to 2004 models. All have recorded max speeds in excess of 150kph acording to my source.

Cheers
David
FollowupID: 427841

Follow Up By: hl - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 10:26

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 10:26
Hi again, David.

I guess only the gods (and perhaps Nissan) know exactly why it happens.
Your point about EG temperatures is valid, but many turbo charged petrol engines run much higher and the pistons don't melt, so it is possible to have pistons made out of something that can survive.
Also interesting to hear that some 2004 engines are biting the dust.
cheers
FollowupID: 427864

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 09:40

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 09:40
Dan,
Another thing to look for is the belt tensioner. I had the same squealing sound, changed the belt, no fix. As I was checking the belt tension by hand, ( a had removed the cowling around the radiator) I noticed the tensioner itself was loose. Turned out to be a worn bush where the bolt goes through. Changed under warranty and has been fine ever since. (about 18 months ago).

Rob
AnswerID: 172257

Follow Up By: dan26aus - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 12:38

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 12:38
Hi Rob,
thanks for that bit of insight. I might actually double-check that tensioner first i think, as i had a mate helping me as i have a crushed wrist at the moment, however i did notice a bit of play in the wheel itself on the tentioner. When i asked him if that looked ok he thought it did, and i just assumed that the play was normal. I have been thinking about it since then, but after hearing that noise when turning off the car, i reckon its coming from or in the vicinty of the egr valve. Also when i check the tension of the belt when engine stopped it feels nice and firm. ( had to put a lot of pull weight on the tensioner when replacing the belt ).

Thanks heaps

Dan
FollowupID: 427887

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 14:07

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 14:07
Everyone has the same problem and problem after problem... it seems never ending.. and now thet put it in the Navara!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 172301

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 17:54

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 17:54
I managed to get some information from Nissan people re problems today. It took some round about approaches via interested parties. I will try to give a fuller explanation as soon as I can, but the Nissan rep said, no inherent problems with the engines as they are now. Modifications were done because the engines break down and use oil and oil level was critical. Modifications were an attempt to address this issue and provide more oil capacity, because it was possible for oil levels to quickly become critical under high stress conditions.

Engines still use oil particularly under high stress conditions. Nissans reps recommendation is to use the correct spec oil as per the previously released service bulletin, check engine oil regularly (daily under high stress) Use 9 litres when doing an oil change.

The assumption was that intercooler hoses are blowing off due to overboost caused by increased engine temperatures due to low oil levels. I'm no expert, but higher EGT's could result in greater expansion over the turbine could overspeed the turbine, driving the compressor to an overboost situation. I took that to mean that once the intercooler hoses are blowing off, you've already overheated it, and it will fail. But I could be wrong about that assumption.

Anyway thats the info I got today. Nissan man said follow the above advice and sleep easily at night.
FollowupID: 427950

Sponsored Links