Gibb River / Kalumburu Road.

Submitted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 06:46
ThreadID: 33855 Views:2244 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just a line to say the GR road is now open all the way through, the Durack still has quite a bit of water in it but no one has had any problems as far as I know. Wouldn't try it in a suburu or similar though !
Also the Kalumburu Road as far as Drysdale is open. It is not yet possible to go any further North than here the rest of this road is still closed. As far as I know they are going to try to inspect the rest of this road next week to see how wet and what damage requires fixing.
We are up and running and have the scenic flight plane here offering flights if you realy want to see the Mitchell Falls and can't do it by road yet.
The good news is all the waterfalls and creeks are just lovely at present.
cheers, Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 07:54

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 07:54
Anne,

Thank you for the road update.

I would assume that ever thing is very green at the moment.

If all goes to plan I should be out your way in early August.

Wayne
AnswerID: 172437

Reply By: maroni - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 11:10

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 11:10
Great to hear from you anne, wondering how you have been getting on up there..looking forward to be heading up your way in early august.Just got the put the crop in here, that is if and when we get some rain!
cheers for now
H
AnswerID: 172472

Follow Up By: AdlelaideGeorge - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 13:07

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 13:07
But make sure to book in advance if they can't afford to 1. charter the complete aircraft or 2. wait for a full or partially full 'plane with pro rata fairs eh Anne?

George
FollowupID: 428106

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:25

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:25
The way the flights work are the prices drop as passengers numbers rise, so yes if any chance please do advance book. If for example if you do book and there are only two of you and we can't find others to share the flight you are NOT obligated to still take the flight at the higher price.
Advance booking makes it so much better for everyone.
2006 Flight prices are
Two hour scenic flight, Prince Regent River & Nature Reserve, waterfalls, coastline & islands, then Mitchell Falls.
5 or 6 passengers $230 pp
4 passengers $275 pp
3 passengers ( min number) $360 pp
cheers, Anne

FollowupID: 428317

Reply By: roscoea26 - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 21:12

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 21:12
Hello Anne,

I'm heading over to your part of the country in about 10 days and should be there by July going to have a look around the NT first then make our way to Broome, being our limit from where we will return home being Pomona in Qld.

I plan to travel down the Gibb River Road from the Wyndham end. I'm towing an off road jayco camper. This is the first time I will have travelled to the Kimberlies and I'm getting very confused about the famed Gibb River road. Some articles I have read make out that it's as rough as hell and other say while it's a challenge it's not a hell road.

Now the Derby Visitor Centre information on the Gibb is that: "towing of any type is not recommended. However, well constructed off road trailers MAY survive the often corrugated conditions in the dry. Caravans are definately NOT recommended"

Now the thing that has confused me further is that the Hemma Map of the Kimberlies shows a caravan symbol at your station, Ellenbrae, Home Valley and even down at the Mornington Wilderness Camp.

So I thought the only way to get some clearer information is to ask a local.

Regards

Roscoe
AnswerID: 172570

Follow Up By: Keith_A (Qld) - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 19:25

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 19:25
Roscoe - I have the same problem. Thanks for asking the exact question. Looking forward to the replies...........Keith
FollowupID: 428287

Follow Up By: roscoea26 - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:27

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:27
Hope we get some Keith there're a bit slow in coming!!
FollowupID: 428319

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:37

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:37
Hi,

If you go read our site on the Road & Weather Conditions page your questions will be answered, as much as anyone can do so anyway. See the new post I am just about to put up, decide to simply put it all on the forum.
Gibb River road - towing camper vans & trailers.
cheers, Anne

FollowupID: 428321

Reply By: Moser - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 22:50

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 22:50
Gday anne

Thats good to hear,, we will be up there beginning of July, everything should be right be then I hope

Moser
AnswerID: 172584

Sponsored Links